Synch iPhone to new Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ocgirl, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

Hi,

I searched a bit but I doesn't exactly answer my question and I really don't want to make a foolish mistake and loose all my data.

I want to just be able to synch my iPhone (3GS) to my new laptop (Mac) from my old one (Acer).
    I don't care about the iTunes library all I want is to keep all the songs stored on the iPhone + contacts + apps …
    For the moment, I am able to connect the phone to the laptop and listen to the music but I can't make any changes or add new music.

It asks me to restore it meaning : erasing everything :(

Could anyone give a step by step process in order to then restore flawlessly the iPhone ?

PS: I read about backing it up, which I did on new laptop.

Thanks ! :eek:

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

do you also have photos in the camera roll of the phone?

3. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Hi,

Yes, I do but it doesn't really matter if I lose them (I will just transfer them on old laptop first).

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

OK first, transfer/download your photos to the new laptop using iPhoto.

After the photos are safe, connect your phone to iTunes on the new Mac.
    Right/Command click on your device in the left pane of iTunes, and select "Transfer Purchases". Post back when that is done.

5. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Hi, JamesMB

It asked me to authorize the computer, which I did, and is transferring my purchases.
    All my songs don't come off from iTunes though, will that be a problem (ie: losing them?).

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, transferring purchases will only get Itunes purchased content. However, there are a couple of other ways you can deal with non Itunes music. Are both computers connected to your network?

7. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

The over one isn't but I can turn it on.
    But what I would like most is just to be able to make this laptop as my main one where I can update and transfer music onto.
    Right now it still doesn't allow me to change anything :(

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you want to go ahead and sync your phone now, I can help with that, but I would recommend, getting all your media in the new iTunes first. If you want to go ahead and sync, let me know, or you can use sharing, to get the rest of your media.
    To set up Home Sharing...
    Connect both computers to your network, and set up Home Sharing in iTunes on both computers. It is very easy to do! (select home sharing from the advanced menu in iTunes) You use your apple id and password on both machines. Once home sharing is set up, you will be able to see your iTunes library on the other machine. Open the library, select the music that didn't copy over when you transferred purchases, and import it into your new library.
    Once you get sharing set up, and select the other computers library, if you look down at the bottom of the page, you will see a selection that will lest you see all the media in the other computer or just the media that is not in your new library.

9. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Oh okay, I see.
    But the thing is my music isn't on my iTunes library (which is nearly empty). My iPhone is a compilation of my old files which I added from other devices (old iPods) so there's not much I can take from there. =\

Could I try to synch it without a library ?
    (sorry for the hassle) =/

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Do you want to save the music on your phone?

11. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Yes, music and all data (messages, contacts … :p

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you go ahead and sync your phone now, you WILL LOSE ANY MUSIC and apps that didn't transfer over when you did the transfer purchases.

13. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Even if I did a back-up of the phone on the new laptop?

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Backup wont do you any good, as soon as you hit the sync button, that backup will be worthless. If the music is not in iTunes, and you sync, then the music will be removed from the phone. If you restore from a backup, you will be right back where you started.

16. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Quick question :

would it work if I backed up the iPhone on new one, and erase on old one?
    Then I would just plug it in the new one and select restore from back up?

17. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

No that wont work....If the media is not in iTunes when you sync, it will be removed from the phone. Backup and restore, just affects the phone and will not transfer anything to iTunes. When is the last time you synced with the old computer?

18. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

2 weeks ago, still have it and still working.
    It just that in a month I won't have it anymore (giving it to someone) so I need to be able to use my new one.
    And forgetting about the music, if I copy my iTunes library from old one, then I would be able to restore my contacts, texts and all the data (except music) ?

19. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can sync right now if want to forget the music. Copying the iTunes library wont gain you anything, unless your music was in there. The texts are saved in the backup.

If you are ready to sync your phone, Connect your phone to iTunes, and review all the selections in each tab VERY CAREFULLY, especially the summary and info tab. After you have made your selections, click the apps tab, and rearrange the apps to match your phone. If you rearrange the apps in iTunes, before you sync, you will retain your app positions and folders. When done, sync your phone.

If you made the correct selections, your contacts will be transferred to the Mac. The apps, and app data transferred over when you transferred purchases. I don't know if the texts will remain on the phone or not.

20. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Hi,

I just managed to copy all my iPhone music directly from phone to new itunes library (and I checked it was in the music files on the computer too).

Is it ok, or I should really copy the original library from old computer ?

21. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

No, not if it is in the new iTunes. Just make sure that your apps are also in the new iTunes.

22. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Yeah, I clicked the transfer purchases button and they all are here.

So now I have all my Apps and Music in the new itunes library and my photos are transferred to my pictures folder.
    Is there something else I need to save ?
    What would be the next step ? :)

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This is not necessary, but will save you a little heartburn. Only do this when you are ready to sync. Connect to iTunes, open your apps tab, and rearrange your apps, to match exactly what is on the phone. This step will allow you to maintain your app positions and folders on the phone. Much easier to do in iTunes than on the phone after you sync.

Place at least one contact in the address book on the computer, before you sync.

After you arrange the apps, select sync. iTunes will ask you if you want to merge (the reason for the one contact on the computer) contacts or replace them...CHOOSE MERGE.

24. ocgirl thread starter macrumors regular

ocgirl

Sorry, but what do you mean by adding one contact to the computer?
    Is that done through iTunes ?

25. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sorry...Open the address book on the Mac, and make sure that you have at least one contact in there. This is usually not necessary, but better safe than sorry.