Synchronization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DannyNguyener, Apr 28, 2010.

1. DannyNguyener macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

I want to find an alternative to MobileMe. I like over air synching. I got the Mail part done.

Now contacts and calendars. Basically I want Calendar and Address book to be all on the same page between my MacBook Air, Iphone, and Gmail.com.

So Far I only got Gmail.com and my Iphone synched up. How do I get my MacBook Air's address book and Calendar to be on the same page?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Google Contacts and Calendars should work...

3. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Yes it works. Example, when I add a contact on my Iphone, it shows up on Gmail.com's contacts. But it doesnt add into my address book.

I wanted to do what mobileme does, Syncs everything. Is this possible? Thanks for helping me.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Go to Address Book > Preferences > Accounts Tab

Then just check in Sync with Google check mark and follow instructions.

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Set up your calendar on your Mac to use Google Calendar's CalDAV protocol.

You should be able to find a guide on that somewhere. That will let you have 2 way sync between Google and your Calendar program. Which then syncs to your iPhone.

If you want something like shared drive space too, download Dropbox for your computer and iPhone. Then syncing documents between the two devices is easy too.

I have an iPhone and several Mac and Linux computers. With Dropbox and Google CalDAV I always have my Calendar, Contacts, Emails and Documents synced between every computer.

6. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Yes, it syncs up with "Gmail.com" and my Iphone, however, the it is not in my address book.

Let me elaborate.

I add contact through Iphone.

Iphone---->Gmail.com via Microsoft Exchange on Iphone.

Ok, so Iphone contacts and Gmail.com server is synched. Calendars too.

But my MacBook Air apps, "Address Book" is not.

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

http://osxdaily.com/2009/12/27/sync-your-mac-address-book-with-google-contacts/

8. DannyNguyener thread starter macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Thanks for helping me.

That's correct, I've done that. Maybe I'm so used to doing MobileMe that it syncs up everything the second you put in that contact through your iphone.

Is there a delay when using Google Sync?

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, your address book will only sync when you sync your iPhone (not from the iphone, it just triggers iSync)... You may be able to find a way to trigger iSync to run on a time interval though. I haven't tried though.

10. redgilda macrumors newbie

redgilda

I have a question related to that.. namely synchronization with Google Calendar to be precise. When I set up my email account on my iPhone originally, apparently I didnt choose to 'synch' the calendar back then. Is there a way to do it now? When I try to re-add the account, it says it already exists and only lets me edit the settings, that do not mention any calendar re-synch.

Would I have to erase my email account from my iphone and simply start all over or is there another way to get my Google Calendar onto my phone?

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Add it using the directions for Google Sync. So you add it as an exchange account. If you want to keep with IMAP email, then just turn off the email toggle for the Exchange account so you'll then sync Calendar and Contacts but not Emails and leave the emails to your other account.