Syncing iPhone 4 for the first time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ndpitch, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ndpitch macrumors 6502

So I haven't upgraded my phone yet. How does this work?

When I plug it into iTunes and go to sync it for the first time, will all of music, apps, contacts, etc get synced to the new phone? Or, do I have to restore the phone from a previous backup?

I'm hoping it's pretty painless to get all my purchased apps and music onto the new phone.

2. celticpride678

I believe you will have a choice of restoring from a backup or starting fresh.

3. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

Yes, thats how I remember it went.

Also, it will ask you to name it and probably register it with Apple, if you haven't already.

4. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I just officially "sync'd my "old" 3Gs for the last time (after updating iTunes) this afternoon.

IM READY ! ! ! ! ! !

5. Zinger314 macrumors member

Zinger314

Doesn't restoring it from a backup cause battery life drainage? I heard that from people who went from a 3G to a 3GS.

6. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

so if I don't restore form a backup, what is "starting fresh"? Will all of my apps not re-sync to the phone? Do I have to re-download/re-purchase them?

If restoring from a backup has caused battery issues, I might just want to start fresh (the iPhone 4 boasts a better battery after all, I'd want to experience that). But I don't want to do that if I lose EVERYTHING and have to re-enter all contacts etc.

7. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

you can always sync the contacts

the backup is just like the settings and TEXT MESSAGES* and app data blahblahblah

I'm gonna restore from back up cause I want my text messages

8. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I didn't have any problems as I recall, and I plan on restoring from my last backup.

As I will.

9. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

You would probably need to upgrade the old phone to iOS4 right? then backup?

10. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

:confused: Shouldn't you sync right before you plug in the new phone and restore it? That way, your txts, email and other apps are all just as they were when you got the new phone? That way you won't have to reload a weeks worth of emails and whatnot.

I'm doing the same. It was said last year that if you reset all settings and reset network settings, you won't have battery issues.