Synology -> which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vladgrig, Apr 19, 2013.

1. vladgrig, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

vladgrig macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I need your advice which synology to buy? Which one is good? I have rMBR.

DS413, DS213+,DS213,DS213air or any other...

Thank you in advance!

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you want advice you need to clarify what your needs/wants/budget/etc are. No solution is ever one-size-fits-all.

3. vladgrig thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for regular use .. Stream photo watch listen movies/music, backups. Budget is up to 400 but can go up if really necessary . Need a good transfer speed, stable.

Thank u

4. deadwalrus macrumors regular

ds213

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use a DS212j and it's fine for home use. A DS213 is also an excellent choice. Little difference except for speed.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I also use a DS212j 2-Bay NAS Server for home use. The 3TB drives are configured in a redundant RAID configuration which nicely provides disk error tolerance. It has plenty of speed for a home network of a half dozen machines, especially if its wireless.

If you want to do time machine backups, a Time Capsule (or a AEBS with USB drive) is much easier to set up and less error prone in the hands of an amateur.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

FYI a new Synology DSM update came out today, among the fixes they improved the compatibility of file sharing via SMB/CIFS with Mac computers.

8. deadwalrus macrumors regular

Quadruple the ram, double the processor speed, USB 3.0. Well worth it IMHO.

9. Giuly, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you need a large amount of storage, get the DS413j. The DS413 and DS412+ are well above your budget, especially if you consider one additional hard drive.
    [​IMG]

If you're OK with up to 6-8TB, get the DS212j. The DS213 is not only faster as stated before, but also has shock-absorbing mounts for the hard drives, so it's more quiet as well. Not to mention that it looks better, too.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These will be sufficient for streaming videos and backing up. The + models would be overkill for your purposes.

As far as hard drives go, WD Red NAS-grade hard drives will be fine.

10. vladgrig thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replies!!!

Just wondering if anyone has experience with DS213air ? Its the latest model.

11. jkeekij macrumors regular

I have the air. I caught it on an Amazon deal for $199. The amount of different tasks you can do with these things make them a great product. The air is nice as you can use it as your router or join an existing network and make it a hot spot. I haven't messed with the wireless much, but I have setup web services, FTP, plex server, iTunes server, etc.

12. vladgrig, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

vladgrig thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot !

:confused:I am confused wich one to buy.. I can afford 413 as well... decisions decisions decisions ....:confused:

What does +/j mean ?

13. Giuly, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

j is the budget variant, + is the pro variant. For home use, the j-models are absolutely sufficient. The upper models improve on the writing speed, but reading off the NAS is pretty much the same for the complete lineup.
    [​IMG]

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

j = economy
    + = top of the line for that series

15. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

I was planning to get one. But then I built my own NAS with a Zino HD and 3TB hard drive. It's awesome and cheap. Time machine works great too.

16. vladgrig, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

Thank u again!

Most likely I'll go with DS213 ,DS213air and DS213+. any advices? anything I need to know about +/- ?
    Whish one would be better?

17. vladgrig thread starter macrumors newbie

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I have the 413 and it rocks. It appeared to me that the problem with a simple two-drive solution is that you only get half the storage. Getting a 413 with four WD Red 3Tb drives gives me 9Gb storage with Raid 5, and it seems fine so far. Seriously quick, surprising number of interesting tricks you can play with it. Even if you're only going to load it with a couple of drives to start with, you have somewhere you can go.

19. vladgrig, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

Thank u!
    Can i stream and watch any movie formats on ds413? Does it support Plex?

20. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

To answer your earlier question first, the j variants tend to have non x86 processors which can limit you in the types of things you can do.

And to answer this question, the 413 does support plex but no transcoding so your videos will probably not play on your iphone.

21. vladgrig thread starter macrumors newbie

22. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Not with Plex. Plex on the iphone/ipad needs to transcode (convert) the media because of limited codec support (and the synology NAS doesn't transcode, unless you get to the $1000+ models)

There is no plex app for the apple TV at all.

However if you get an app such as Goodplayer, you can view almost any codec on your iphone/ipad. You dont even need plex, you can simply use the DLNA server synology offers. But the media will not be available remotely over the internet (plex can do this).

For the apple TV, you need to have a second generation device that is jailbroken to install apps that have the proper codecs. I use XBMC and it plays anything from my Synology through the synology DLNA server or even through the SMB share.

I know this is probably much more confusing than it should be and I apologize.

For your needs i recommend the ds213.

23. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The DS212j supports the synology video station package (I'm sure they all do). Synology gives away a video player app (DS Video) for both iPad and iPhone (perhaps others) that works well. So you load your videos on the NAS, have the video station app index them, view with the iPad and airplay to the apple TV. Many here use it this way, there may be better more elegant ways, but video station and DS Video works well enough. As with all video servers, the hard part is categorizing and organizing you videos (I have about 200 clips and episodes), but you just select each video and categorize it.. and done.

I believe the DS212j media server and/or video station may do some transcode, but all my videos are QT or iTunes compatible, so I dunno and can't offer comment.

24. vladgrig, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

Thank u!

Will call customer support to verify info about transcode and Plex.

Is it posible to check this info on official site? I tried but cud miss it.

The more I read the more I sm confused. Do I need unit with transcode? If yes, with what transcode number 1 or 2 for regular use to be able to watch movies?

25. Ifti macrumors 68000

My honest advice would be to wait!
    The new 2013 models are just around the corner. In fact they have been provided to journalists and reviewers to begin reviewing etc already! I have been offered the new units, but Ive just been too busy to review them at the moment!

Give it another month and you'll see the new units, with upgraded CPUs and features etc ;)