Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
First of all, i'm new to this forum, so i'm not sure if this is the right place to post.

greetings , one and everyone. i need to know if it is possible to run system 7 on a powermac g4 running 10.4.11. i have a virtual startup disk (.img), but as you know, classic only supports os 9.1+. is there a way to maybe create a disk partition to run system 7 on? thanks,

512k ftw.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Depending on which PMG4, 8.6 is the probably earliest it will boot to.

Edit: misread as PB

Edit: the earliest G3s could only run 8.0. You'd have to go back to the 601-604 series to run Sys 7.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The earliest systems shipped with 8.6, so that's the earliest version that you'll get running natively (and as gr8tfly mentions, if your system is newer then you may only be able to run 9).

There are emulators available (such as vMac) but I don't know how compatible they are.

2.system 7 should run on ppc i just need to figure out how

All NewWorld machines (this includes all G4s) lack the toolbox ROM required by System 7. It is not possible to run System 7 natively.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
The earliest systems shipped with 8.6, so that's the earliest version that you'll get running natively (and as gr8tfly mentions, if your system is newer then you may only be able to run 9).

There are emulators available (such as vMac) but I don't know how compatible they are.

All NewWorld machines (this includes all G4s) lack the toolbox ROM required by System 7. It is not possible to run System 7 natively.

i do have a copy of Mini vMac, is there any way i can run from that? an if so, where do i find the roms?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Actually I think the earliest PPC's shipped with 7.6 on them. The earliest were the 6100, 7100, and 8100's. System 8 was not released until the 2G PPC's came out and finally System 9 with the G3's.

Thus, trying to get System 7 on a G4 is probably not possible.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Actually I think the earliest PPC's shipped with 7.6 on them. The earliest were the 6100, 7100, and 8100's. System 8 was not released until the 2G PPC's came out and finally System 9 with the G3's.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure my 7500/100 had 7.6 on it. In fact it did, as I got OS8 for christmas the following year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.