Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Upgraded to Lion a few hours ago on my MacBook Pro and did a few things in system preferences(changed scrolling back to how it was) then went to mess with the new wallpapers and it gave me the pinwheel and froze up

now every time i try to open system preferences it does the same thing

so far i've tried restarting, shut down, and trying to open different things in system preferences through spotlight and it does the same thing

if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
happened too me as well...also froze when I went into dashboard once, just held power button and rebooted...also, my 2011 macbook pro lost about 20 secs start up time, went from 12-14 boot time to about 30-35, not a big deal but tried resets etc pram, smc, still slower booting up

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
happened too me as well...also froze when I went into dashboard once, just held power button and rebooted...also, my 2011 macbook pro lost about 20 secs start up time, went from 12-14 boot time to about 30-35, not a big deal but tried resets etc pram, smc, still slower booting up

just tried opening system preferences and then doing that and still the same result spin wheel and freeze

i too noticed the start up time takes a lot longer now

abus1105

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Same problem

Never had this issue before until now. Downloaded Lion a few hours ago. I too went into change my wallpaper and system preferences froze. Now I cannot access system preferences at all. Hopefully someone can figure this problem out.

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Never had this issue before until now. Downloaded Lion a few hours ago. I too went into change my wallpaper and system preferences froze. Now I cannot access system preferences at all. Hopefully someone can figure this problem out.

relieved to find out it's not just me having this problem but feel bad because it's pretty irritating

abus1105

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
no help

just got off the phone with Apple Support. Told them my problem. They had me reinstall Lion. They said that should fix the problem. IT DIDN'T. Same problem after an hour and a half of rebooting. I can't complain about the service because the guy helped as much as he could. He said they are having plenty of problems with Lion today, mostly do to massive downloads. He assured me there would be numerous updates in the coming days. Either way it is still disappointing to have no access to any system preferences.

Keep posting if someone finds a fix.

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
just got off the phone with Apple Support. Told them my problem. They had me reinstall Lion. They said that should fix the problem. IT DIDN'T. Same problem after an hour and a half of rebooting. I can't complain about the service because the guy helped as much as he could. He said they are having plenty of problems with Lion today, mostly do to massive downloads. He assured me there would be numerous updates in the coming days. Either way it is still disappointing to have no access to any system preferences.

Keep posting if someone finds a fix.

well that sucks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Have you been able to get into Console? If so take a look around there for anything in error and post back what you find. I'm willing to bet it may be a third-party app that has a preference pane in the System Preferences that is causing the problem.

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Have you been able to get into Console? If so take a look around there for anything in error and post back what you find. I'm willing to bet it may be a third-party app that has a preference pane in the System Preferences that is causing the problem.

i see something that says

<Error>: Failed to create window context device
and
<Error>: CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create window context delegate.

thank you for the response

abus1105

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I have been able to be in console. I have found numerous errors regarding system preferences. Now, I have researched the preference panes. My problem is in the "preference pain folder" in Library has nothing in it. The other place I found anything about preference panes was in "Caches" folder. I am afraid to just go deleting things and what not.

Console Erros found as follows:

7/20/11 8:07:21.051 PM System Preferences: Failed to create window context device

7/20/11 8:07:21.051 PM System Preferences: CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create window context delegate.

7/20/11 8:07:21.051 PM [0x0-0x11011].com.apple.systempreferences: Jul 20 20:07:21 iMac.local System Preferences[163] <Error>: CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create window context delegate.

7/20/11 8:11:40.927 PM System Preferences: _initWithWindowNumber: error creating graphics ctxt object for ctxt:0x1170f, window:0x0

7/20/11 8:23:33.164 PM quicklookd: BUG in libdispatch: 11A511 - 1813 - 0x4

Sorry for the long post. If this helps anybody with a solution I would appreciate it.

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I have been able to be in console. I have found numerous errors regarding system preferences. Now, I have researched the preference panes. My problem is in the "preference pain folder" in Library has nothing in it. The other place I found anything about preference panes was in "Caches" folder. I am afraid to just go deleting things and what not.

Console Erros found as follows:

7/20/11 8:07:21.051 PM System Preferences: Failed to create window context device

7/20/11 8:07:21.051 PM System Preferences: CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create window context delegate.

7/20/11 8:07:21.051 PM [0x0-0x11011].com.apple.systempreferences: Jul 20 20:07:21 iMac.local System Preferences[163] <Error>: CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create window context delegate.

7/20/11 8:11:40.927 PM System Preferences: _initWithWindowNumber: error creating graphics ctxt object for ctxt:0x1170f, window:0x0

7/20/11 8:23:33.164 PM quicklookd: BUG in libdispatch: 11A511 - 1813 - 0x4

Sorry for the long post. If this helps anybody with a solution I would appreciate it.

the same as what i am getting

abus1105

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
also this:

Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.

Could be irrelevant to the problem but thought I would add it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lewisbrah said:

i see something that says

<Error>: Failed to create window context device
and
<Error>: CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create window context delegate.

thank you for the response

I'll try researching these in the morning, unless someone else gets to it first.

A couple of questions, do you have a good back up of your Snow Leopard installation? Are you savvy enough to perform a clean install?

Is there anything else not working?

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll try researching these in the morning, unless someone else gets to it first.

A couple of questions, do you have a good back up of your Snow Leopard installation? Are you savvy enough to perform a clean install?

Is there anything else not working?

thanks for the help

didnt back up snow leopard

can probably perform a clean install and everything else seems to be fine

TheFlashGuy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Manchester, UK
the same as what i am getting

exactly the same issue for me too. Have reinstalled Lion to no effect. Basically when I open the preferences pane it opens onto the Desktop / Screensaver pane and then freezes up with the same error mentioned earlier.

Tried trashing preferences, repairing permissions etc but nothing seems to fix it. Only thing left is to reformat and install from a clean start.

Unless anyone else has found a way to fix this?

abus1105

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Apple Support

For the second day, just got off the phone with Apple Support. Went through numerous troubleshooting tactics to try and solve the problem. Spent close to 30 mins doing different trouble shoots. Nothing worked. Did everything I did yesterday, but was not asked to re-reinstall Lion this time.

The bad news is they couldn't fix it over the phone.
The good news is that apparently according the them, lots of people are beginning to have this problem. Which means Apple is more quickly to come out with software updates to fix the problem.

She said that they have many reports of people going into change the wallpaper and systems preferences freezes up and stays that way.

Service was good, and helpful for future reference, but again didn't fix the problem. Advice from Apple "wait for updates that SHOULD solve the problem."

Just have to wait and see. Everything else appears to be working fine and thats a plus.

Lewisbrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
For the second day, just got off the phone with Apple Support. Went through numerous troubleshooting tactics to try and solve the problem. Spent close to 30 mins doing different trouble shoots. Nothing worked. Did everything I did yesterday, but was not asked to re-reinstall Lion this time.

The bad news is they couldn't fix it over the phone.
The good news is that apparently according the them, lots of people are beginning to have this problem. Which means Apple is more quickly to come out with software updates to fix the problem.

She said that they have many reports of people going into change the wallpaper and systems preferences freezes up and stays that way.

Service was good, and helpful for future reference, but again didn't fix the problem. Advice from Apple "wait for updates that SHOULD solve the problem."

Just have to wait and see. Everything else appears to be working fine and thats a plus.

thanks for the info!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Try setting up a test user account and see if the same problem occurs. This will help determine if it is a systemwide problem or a user account specific problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.