Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

Yesterday I tried running some software from OSX Tiger in Leopard ( Terminal ).
It runs very well and it seemed faster and looks more or less the same.
Has anyone tried running other software from Tiger?

Best regards,
voidRunner

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

A quick update.
System Preferences Run and DVD Player also runs.

On a side note I did a CPU load comparison while playing a DVD in Tiger and Leopard
and a PB-G4 1.25Ghz plays a DVD with less CPU load on Tiger than a DLSD on Leopard.
Any Ideas?

Best regards,
voidRunner

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all,

A quick update.
System Preferences Run and DVD Player also runs.

On a side note I did a CPU load comparison while playing a DVD in Tiger and Leopard
and a PB-G4 1.25Ghz plays a DVD with less CPU load on Tiger than a DLSD on Leopard.
Any Ideas?

Best regards,
voidRunner
Leopard is a more complex system. It has more overhead, so Tiger will always run faster.

If Tiger is your thing, run Tiger. For myself, I only run it on systems that can't run Leopard. Leopard is far more robust than Tiger and I depend on that as well as it's ability to run later versions of apps.
[automerge]1585429173[/automerge]
I've never shaken the notion that every process under Leopard is slightly more demanding because the OS was written and otimised for Intel?
I don't believe that to be the case, although I may be wrong. I see it as Leopard simply being more complex because features were added or improved.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I see it as Leopard simply being more complex because features were added or improved.

Which is definitely the case but there was a huge system requirement increase between Tiger and Leopard.
Between Puma and Tiger, still worked on G3 needed 256Mb instead of 128Mb.
Between Tiger and Leopard, minimum 867GHz G4 and 512Mb plus ideally Core Image GPU.
I know Leopard can function on less but just going with the official figures.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I used to run Panther's system prefs in Tiger all time, I liked the customizable top section. I don't think Panther's will work in Leopard though.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

Been tinkering a little more with DVD player in Leopard.
Now it's running with Tiger's DVD Playback and DVD frameworks copied from a tiger install.
Load is definetelly lower ( +- 5 plus percent ).
Unfortunatelly DVD Player from Leopard complains about missing symbols.
I've also "copied" most of the artwork from the leopard version so it's looking like this.

Best regards,
voidRunner
Picture 24.png

Reactions: dextructor

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm wondering why you don't just run Tiger?

Is there some feature or part of Leopard you can't go without that Tiger doesn't have?

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi eyoungren,

I'm just trying to optimize the system using less CPU hungry apps but still
retaining the Leopard "Looks" and functionality.
By using this version and it's frameworks ( it plays DVDs just like the Leopard version ) but my
temps are lower and fan speed is also lower so overall a better experience :D

My idea is that maybe we can have other software/libraries from Tiger that do not
affect the system so much and so we may have the best of both worlds for our systems.

Best regards,
voidRunner

Reactions: dextructor

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
My idea is that maybe we can have other software/libraries from Tiger that do not
affect the system so much and so we may have the best of both worlds for our systems.

Or maybe even - get Tiger's UI running on top of Leopard. ?

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

From my testing there seems to be two factors in this equasion.

1. Tiger and maybe the early Leopard builds seem to be more optimized for powerpc hardware.
That's why I think in Leopard Tigers DVD Player using Tiger's frameworks use lowec CPU ( not comparable to tiger
running the same app, but still a reasonable improvement ). In the case of DVD Player you also get a bonus because
the version from Tiger as a vertical mode if you prefer it.
2. Leopard without a dought is eavier than tiger so it performs worst in powerpc hardware which is not uptodate
with the OS requirements especially in the later builds.

PS. One of the things I had already noticed when I started iusing PPC Macs two years ago is that the last
security update is a performance killer and I do not install it on any powerbook I have.

@eyoungren
. I do want to keep using Leopard as it is a superior OS in functionality more uptodate and also offcourse
the available software.
. I also need spaces to keep my daily workflow so out of the box I need Leopard.
. I am also a sucker for looks and for me Leopard "loloks better" ( IMHO ) .

Best regards,
voidRunner

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Very cool stuff you're uncovering, void.

What is this last security update, and what does it do, if you know? Could it fulfill the same purpose as AudioIPCDriver.kext, and do you think the same exists for Tiger, or perhaps other versions as well?

I am not surprised at these findings. Fits right in line with how Apple thinks and does.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi Z,

The security update is the one that shows on software update the 2011-004.
I noticed it first when I installed it on my PBG4 12inch 1.5Ghz it started playing youtube videos
slower and system seemed less quick.
I reinstalled the PB again and just left the 10.5.8 combo update and it seems faster.

I also found this link posted here on macrumors ( it's from 2018 I think you might have
seen it already ).

http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/tolerating-osx-starting-tiger

Best regards,
voidRunner

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.