System Temp on iStat Menus ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Jun 6, 2015.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I need some help on how to read my system temperature using iStat Menus. Can someone please tell me how to make the reading on the iStat Menus App.

2. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok I don't think I am looking for SMC Fan Control !! I just wanna keep a track on at what temperature is my Mac running ! I don't want any app to control the fans of my Mac. I would better leave it as it is.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If your Mac is relatively new I would not be overly concerned, especially as your not intending on overriding the system`s cooling algorithms.

If you do want to monitor the CPU try Intel`s Power Gadget 3, it will show CPU/iGPU temp, power consumption and frequency.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Q-6

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What do you mean doesn't work?

iStat Menus 5 runs on Mavericks and Yosemite. I'm even running iStat Menus 2 on my Mac Pro at work which is running 10.10.3.

It works. No one's even asked the OP what version he's using!

OP if it's version 3 or higher you open the app and make your settings there.

6. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

I have iStat 5 running on my MBP and the temp doesn't display

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Really? Very strange. A known bug then?

I had 4 on the MP at work at one point and it worked. I went back to 2 because I prefer a System Preference option.

8. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Ya I think it's a bug ...istat 5 seems buggy in general

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All right. Then we just need to know what version the OP is using. If it's 5, then you are correct.

10. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

I am using iStat Menus 5.10 and it works perfectly for me. Current temp 115º F.

11. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

do u have a 2015 15" rMBP?

12. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

Mine is a mid 2014 rMBP 15" Temp now 117º F.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

iStat Menus needs to be updated whenever new hardware is released. They emailed me a beta of the upcoming build and it works fine on my 2015 15" MBP. The most recent official build does not fully work.

14. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I have installed iStat Menus Ver. 5.10 and it works 100% all one needs to do is, go in sensor in the application window and turn it on, if it is slided to off and it then displays the system temperature.

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have the iStat Nano Widget on my 2015 MacBook Pro and it seems to work just fine. It reports the current temperature just fine.

16. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I emailed their CS about temps not working on my 2015 15" rMBP and they sent me a beta which has been working just fine.

17. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I would like to ask a question to everyone reading this thread. When it comes to reading Memory of the MBP, What is more reliable statistics data the one in the Memory Reading area of iStat Menus or the one in Activity Monitor of the MBP. is the memory consumed reading of iStat Menus APP and Activity Monitor the same ? or it varies ? Has anyone ever monitored this ? To find out how much memory consumed should I rely on iStat Menus or should I look at Activity Monitor. Activity Monitor RAM Reading does it not become a little confusing and complicated ?

18. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

Unless iStat is incorrect my brand new 15" rMBP is getting extremely hot a lot. Not doing anything intensive either. 80+ degrees Celsius.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Activity monitor, it is very easy if the little graph remains green you are fine if it goes into the red you are not.

20. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

And so is iStat Menus Memory Graph Bar ?

21. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You asked the question I answered with my opinion.

I never use anything that can be accomplished to the same standard with built in OSX software. Why would I fill my computer up with endless third party software when the stuff I have does the job perfectly well??

Only if a bit of software does not fulfill my needs will I get something else, activity monitor does a great job of telling me what I need to know on the very few occasions I have felt the need to monitor a process.

Of course you can use what you like but you did ask...

22. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Actually I just did a quick check on if the Memory Usage data on both the Activity Monitor and iStat Menus Memory Usage Bar is it the same ? And shockingly the difference between the two is huge (Check the attached Screenshot) Now this makes me think that iStat Menus which is like touted as one of the cuts have APPS by almost tech sites, is it worth having in your Menu Bar or not ? The Black one is iStat Menus and the White is from Activity Monitor. Any comments ?

[​IMG]

23. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

iStat is a poorly written program IMO.
    Great idea, just bad execution.

..also, I very much dislike devs who think its ok to force users to have to pay again for an app they already own just because Apple updated OS X.

24. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

You can use Macs Fan Control if you want to get temp readings from your Mac. It also allows you to adjust your fan settings, but if you keep them on auto, then it works same way as factory.

25. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Anything similar to iStat out there? I remember using MenuMeters back in the day, but I'm unaware of any current alternatives to iStat

I also find the devs to be really unresponsive and greedy.