systemUIserver and High CPU in Snow Leopard - Help!

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I've been using Snow Leopard for a few weeks now and this is the first problem that I've encountered. For no apparent reason, the CPU spikes and systemUIserver accounts for 90%-100% of the CPU.

Some users have reported that disabling the airport icon in the menu bar solves the problem. In my case, however, I have to disable the date/time in the menu bar for the CPU to return to normal. As soon as I display the date/time in the menu bar, the problem returns.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you know of any fix? I have no idea what triggered this issue as my MB was working perfectly fine one hour ago. In that time, I was typing in Microsoft Word (nothing else).

Thanks for the help.

brkirch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2001
I found the problem! It appears that the problem is due to daylight savings time - the CPU usage for SystemUIServer will return to normal at 2:00 AM. To get the CPU usage back to normal do one of the following:
  • Hold down the command key and remove the time from the menu; you can add it back later
  • Set your system time to 2:00 AM or later, you can correct the time after it is actually past 2:00 AM
  • Wait until 2:00 AM, the SystemUIServer CPU usage should then return to normal

Comment

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
For the record, my Mac still hasn't shown a CPU spike and it's 1:50AM here.
It'll turn back at 2 AM. Have fun.

I wonder if Apple will even acknowledge this. Snow Leopard is Apple's Vista.

Comment

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Meh, I just let it run until now (2AM), and its back to normal. No heart attack over this bug for me.

Comment

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Same here, I got this until the second my clock turned 2, then it went from 90+% to 0%.

Comment

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Meh, I just let it run until now (2AM), and its back to normal. No heart attack over this bug for me.
if this happened on windows 7 the users here would have a field day

there's no reason my clock should cause my macbook to hit almost 90 celsius

Comment

MGLXP

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2005
CPU usage went back to normal at 2:00AM. I guess it's a bug that shows its effect for 1 hour only. However, this bug still needs to be corrected.

Comment

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
if this happened on windows 7 the users here would have a field day

there's no reason my clock should cause my macbook to hit almost 90 celsius
Yeah, but by the time Apple does anything or thinks about doing something, its already going to be back at 2AM for everyone.

Comment

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, but by the time Apple does anything or thinks about doing something, its already going to be back at 2AM for everyone.
That's no reason to downplay how much of a big deal a bug like this is. People are reporting that there XServes are doing this.

Comment

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
consider yourself lucky

no kids came to my house tonight, was kinda surprised
By the looks of most of my friends here, seems like everyones going to bars and clubs nowadays. Just came from steak n shake and some dude in a pirate outfit was trashed.

And his girlfriend... well... ;-)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.