T-Mobile and Sprint Merger Approved, May Be Finalized as Early as April

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As expected, U.S. federal judge Victor Marrero today approved T-Mobile's proposed $26 billion acquisition of Sprint, which would create a dominant third-largest carrier alongside AT&T and Verizon in the United States.

The FCC formally approved the merger in November 2019, but a group of state attorneys general filed an antitrust lawsuit aiming to block it. The states argued that combining the two companies was not in the public's interest, claiming that it would reduce competition and lead to higher smartphone bills.

In his decision, however, Marrero concluded that "T-Mobile has redefined itself over the past decade as a maverick that has spurred the two largest players in its industry to make numerous pro-consumer changes," referring to AT&T and Verizon, and expressed optimism that the merged company would be able to continue this successful business strategy for the foreseeable future.

Following the decision, T-Mobile has announced that it is now working with Sprint on the final steps to complete their merger to create the "New T-Mobile," noting that the deal could close as early as April 2020.

T-Mobile added that it is committed to delivering the same or better rate plans at the same or better prices for at least three years, including 5G.

Article Link: T-Mobile and Sprint Merger Approved, May Be Finalized as Early as April

Reactions: ruslan120

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
T-Mobile added that it is committed to delivering the same or better rate plans at the same or better prices for at least three years, including 5G.

Which is about as long as it'll take for T-Mobile to fully integrate Sprint, so keeping prices at current levels will be needed to prevent customer defections. Once they're done with that it'll be off to the races with price increases. Good day for telecom oligopolies.

spartan1967

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2019
Can't wait to see the awesome deal I am offered from this new company to stay with them. If it's anything like Sprint offered me when they bought out US Cellular's market; it should be pretty sweet.

BTW, Sprint works awesome in all the places I go. Never a dropped call, never a bad LTE connection. :p

DinkThifferent

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
You guys are so screwed in the USA with your mobile and internet subscriptions. I pay 25 euro per month for my cellphone contract and have unlimited everything, with a 5GB fair use policy per day. If i exceed that 5GB i can request a new GB for free in the app of my provider and so on and so on...

Well, the most mobile internet I have used on one day was 4,5 GB when i had to quickly download some Spotify playlists before boarding a 12 hour flight. Other than that, i never exceed it.

Also, you got all-in-one packages here for landline phone + HDTV + internet for 40 euro's per month.

When i read stories about paying 100 dollars+ per month in the US i am shocked!

Last edited:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
You guys are so screwed in the USA with your mobile and internet subscriptions. I pay 25 euro per month for my cellphone contract and have unlimited everything, with a 5GB fair use policy per day.
You think it's bad in the USA? I only have 1GB per month in Canada, for 25 Canadian dollars per month. And I need to have next month's fees in my account at all times otherwise it drops to 512MB.

Granted your 25 euros equals around 36.29 Canadian dollars, but you get 5GB of data per day compared to my 1GB per month. So you're paying nearly 50% more to get 150 times the data per month.

Reactions: msp3

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
You guys are so screwed in the USA with your mobile and internet subscriptions. I pay 25 euro per month for my cellphone contract and have unlimited everything, with a 5GB fair use policy per day. If i exceed that 5GB i can request a new GB for free in the app of my provider and so on and so on...

Well, the most mobile internet I have used on one day was 4,5 GB when i had to quickly download some Spotify playlists before boarding a 12 hour flight. Other than that, i never exceed it.

Also, i you got all-in-one packages here for landline phone + HDTV + internet for 40 euro's per month.

As much as I hate AT&T for their politics, I have unlimited. I literally hit my throttling warning in one day watching the Impeachment trial, still not throttled.

I can't imagine only having at most 6gb per day.

RickDEGH

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2018
Germany

Also, i you got all-in-one packages here for landline phone + HDTV + internet for 40 euro's per month.

Which country are you in? I’m currently on 1&1 in Germany - 14,99€ for a year and then 24,99 for the other year - that gets me 5gb data per month and unlimited calls. I’m looking to switch when my contract ends in November.

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
I love how they promise that the prices will only be the same or better for 3 years, then after that they can just jack up prices.

It's like when I see price for life internet deals, since when did technology get more expensive over time? Why would I want to lock in todays prices when I should be able to get more speed for less in the future? Oh wait, it's because they are not in competitive markets.

DinkThifferent

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
You think it's bad in the USA? I only have 1GB per month in Canada, for 25 Canadian dollars per month. And I need to have next month's fees in my account at all times otherwise it drops to 512MB.

Granted your 25 euros equals around 36.29 Canadian dollars, but you get 5GB of data per day compared to my 1GB per month. So you're paying nearly 50% more to get 150 times the data per month.
Time for a revolution, Canada Style! So instead of pitchforks, handwritten letters sprinkled with perfume and sealed by a kiss.

• Disagree
Reactions: Braderunner

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I love Sprint only because of the price. For 3 lines with smart phones it's $190 a month (give or take a few bucks)

Good news, and a decade in the making it seems.

Last edited:

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica

DinkThifferent - What provider do you use?

coachgq

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I have merger fatigue. Now it won’t be ”finalized” until April. Just sign the papers and wrap this thing up already.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

Not bad. I thought Europe would be more expensive due to the higher taxes and fees.
I'm on T-Mobile and I pay $99/month for 2 Phone lines with Unlimited Data with International Data and texting included, HD Streaming and 1 iPad Unlimited Data line. All lines allow for Mobile HotSpot. Price includes all taxes and fees.

At least we get to pay $2.19/gallon of gasoline. I believe this is were you guys get really screwed in Europe.
I do prefer to pay more for my mobile service than for gasoline. At least I can go places without hurting my wallet.

Reactions: compwiz1202

DinkThifferent

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Which country are you in? I’m currently on 1&1 in Germany - 14,99€ for a year and then 24,99 for the other year - that gets me 5gb data per month and unlimited calls. I’m looking to switch when my contract ends in November.
Hallo mein liebe Nachbar! I am from The Netherlands, on the Tele2 network. Unfortunately Tele2 has recently been taken over by (yes really) T-Mobile so after the promised three years of "We're gonna change absolutely nothing" i dread the day that those three years are over i will get a letter telling me "Unfortunately do to higher costs maintaining our network we are forced to raise your monthly bill from 25 to 25000000 euro. Kloveyabye". Which will definitely happen for sure. Same as for customers on the Sprint/Tmobile network in the USA.

Braderunner

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore

You're only hearing what you want to hear. Convenient.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
Hallo mein liebe Nachbar! I am from The Netherlands, on the Tele2 network. Unfortunately Tele2 has recently been taken over by (yes really) T-Mobile so after the promised three years of "We're gonna change absolutely nothing" i dread the day that those three years are over i will get a letter telling me "Unfortunately do to higher costs maintaining our network we are forced to raise your monthly bill from 25 to 25000000 euro. Kloveyabye". Which will definitely happen for sure. Same as for customers on the Sprint/Tmobile network in the USA.
The big thing is our networks are the size of like 50 of your networks. Obviously the costs involved are going to be more, regional carriers are becoming rare now a days here. But there are a decent number of prepaid carriers where you can get a decent price on service. My T-Mobile prepaid plan is 10gb per month, unlimited talk/text in the US for $40. Includes ATT 4G data roaming as well.