T-Mobile Contract Free is not unlocked!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Sep 11, 2014.

1. kalebnate macrumors 6502

I keep seeing people stating that the iPhone 6 with T Mobile Contract Free is indeed unlocked, with no proof whatsoever ... People just say yes and try to reason about it without proper proof.

Please tell me why I shouldn't believe the following :

[​IMG]

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

My iPhone 5 worked fine with a Three sim in London and Wales...

3. kalebnate, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Purchased from the Online US apple store with T-Mobile Contract Free package ?

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

This has been discussed a million times already and yes it is unlocked if you buy it direct from Apple. The rep is wrong.

I ordered my T-Mobile iPhone 5s direct from the Apple Online Store last year on 9/20 and I can assure you that it was unlocked from the day that it arrived and it still is unlocked today. The same will be true this time around as well. As others have mentioned elsewhere, only the phones purchased from T-Mobile (the carrier themselves and their own retail stores) are carrier locked until they are paid in full and/or the 40~ day period ends.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Exactly

There were tons of threads on this last year and yet people still don't get it. Guess we'll have to listen to it all over again this year.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you buy it from Apple it always has been unlocked, and reps almost always have been clueless about it. There is no evidence to show that it actually is unlocked other than a few clueless Customer service reps who usually have been wrong about that in the past...

7. trophynuts macrumors member

trophynuts

...JUST LIKE NO ONE HAS PROOF THAT IT IS LOCKED... :eek:

8. sholzer macrumors regular

Or just buy a verizon one off contract as they're GSM unlocked

9. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Well played, sir. Well played. ;-)

10. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    If you get it from apple, it will be unlocked. Countless threads on this by now. 1/2 the time you will get a different response from apple support -sometimes they're just as clueless.

11. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

The chat log posted from an official apple representative constitutes as proof.

12. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Then just wait until the Apple Store has the "official" unlocked phone in a month or so if you're inclined to believe the (conflicting) support reps and not people's past experiences.

13. Upiter macrumors newbie

It seems as if all the Apple reps are now giving the same answer - T-mobile contract free version is LOCKED.

14. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Just like last year.

15. HarryWild, Sep 11, 2014

HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Apple released the unlocked models around November 22 of last year for the 5S. Not sure about the 5C. But I think this year; it will be maybe longer time before it is release due to demand and carrier pressures. I will wait for the unlocked version - last model the 5S which I tried to buy all through 2013 and finally got it online in January 7th and delivered sometime around the 11th, 2014! The iPhone 6; I feel will be a month longer to get for me. I will start try to get it in 2015 and I think I will be lucky to order it in February sometime 2015! It going be fun trying to buy one from Thanksgiving to the new year that for sure! I will wait till after the new year since demand slackens off a bit! February and after should be idea for buying an unlocked version. You probably could get one at the Apple store if you wait for it to open at 9:00 A.M. But get there about 8:00 A.M. since resellers are getting there about the same time. You don't want to miss out on getting it because you were tardy and they ran out of stock!

16. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Exactly. They said the exact same thing last year with the 5s and yet when I received mine it was unlocked. The reps were clearly wrong then, so I have no reason to believe that they're right now.

17. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Please understand that since I'm planning to ship the phone overseas, I cannot return it or ask for a refund. So the risk is huge, especially that I'm paying that amount for an iPhone 6 ! I only want to be careful, did my research and got conflicting results, hence spoke to a representative, then came here for more info. It's not like I am trying to prove something, I'm just being too careful before paying.

So yeah, as you suggested, I might just wait to be safe or look for an alternate solution.

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's poor proof because EVEN IF THEY KNEW THE FACTS they are required to tell you it is locked to T-Mo.

When I bought my 5S from the Apple Store last year (for AT&T) I told them I wanted the T-Mobile model. The sales-drone insisted it wouldn't work.

Well, I paid for the phone, took my iPhone 5 out of my pocked, put the AT&T SIM into it and it worked fine. He was not surprised at all. He just smiled at me.

That is not to say it won't change this year
    but the point is, whatever Apple sales dummies say isn't necessarily true. They sometimes just don't know and sometime just can't say because their jobs are at stake if they are being monitored. Especially the CHAT folks. They are the most clueless of the bunch especially now when they hire thousands of newbies to prepare for the onslaught. They just regurgitate what they are told or are reading from their scripts.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you want to be extra sure get a Verizon one off contract. The FCC requires those ones to be unlocked. But the T-Mobile one is unlocked as well.

20. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This comes up every time there is a new phone. Have you ever taken a look at the lines outside Apple store on Fifth avenue in New York on Launch day. Ninety percent of the people in line are foreign and buying to export. Do you think they are buying locked phones.

When you buy a phone in an Apple store and it is checked out at full price it is added to the white list data base and is unlocked. This is part of the purchase process. Remember the unlock is not a physical thing it is only a matter of adding the Imei to the whitelist database.

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Last year, T-Mobile locked it for 40 days. It required a 40 day service with T-Mobile before they would unlock it. I wasn't too confident with this so I waited for the official unlocked version which came out the week of Thanksgiving, Friday, in November.

22. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this the same for the US Online Apple Store ?

----------

Did you experience the locked out phase personally or heard about it somewhere ?

23. skimcpip, Sep 11, 2014

skimcpip macrumors regular

There's no risk. It's not locked. The rep is wrong.

For your reference: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1645920

----------

Because you bought it from T-Mobile.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's what happens when you buy directly from T-Mobile, if you get it from Apple then it's always been unlocked.

25. bobright macrumors 601

To those that don't really care about it being officially "unlocked" to use overseas but want to use it on AT&T and just buy full price, the rep confirms it'll work right? She says this version would work with AT&T. Good news.:)