T-Mobile discontinuing corp discounts for everyone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shaud, Mar 28, 2014.

1. shaud macrumors newbie

shaud

Looks like they're discontinuing the corp discount for a 25 dollar credit on new phone :-(

Photo:
    John Legere
    With Simple Choice, Value & Transparency Are For Everyone
    By John Legere, President and Chief Executive Officer
    March 28, 2014
    I’m writing to let you know about another step we’re taking in our Un-carrier movement to bring true fairness and freedom to US wireless.
    As the Un-carrier, we have one totally transparent Simple Choice rate plan, and it’s already a screaming deal. And, we keep making it better and better. In fact, just last month, we added…
    - more 4G LTE data – at no extra cost,
    - more Simple Global countries, making the world your network in even more places – at no extra cost,
    - texting from the US to virtually anywhere in the world – at no extra cost.
    Beginning April 1, T-Mobile will be moving away from employer rate plan discounts and replacing them with a T-Mobile reward card of $25 each time an employee purchases a new device. It's simple, clear and transparent – like everything we do. For a family of four who upgrade their devices once a year, that’s as much as $100 off. $200 if they upgrade twice a year.

The old programs were designed to help big carriers close big corporate contracts, with employees as bargaining chips. We aren’t playing that game anymore. This change is about simplifying wireless for everyone … including employees of small and large companies alike.
    The other guys’ best plans with fat corporate discounts still can’t match the value of our Simple Choice plan. We offer the best deal in wireless. Period.
    A year ago, I promised we’d change this industry, and this is just one more step in the movement. And, we're not done yet. Stay tuned.

* See T-Mobile.com for service details and country lists.

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

By removing everyones 10 - 15% discount? Sorry, but increasing everyones bill 10 - 15% is not a screaming deal.

3. ashleymc2008 macrumors newbie

I wonder does this include the student discount that I'm suppose to receive on my next bill since I started service with them

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've read all student discounts have already been discontinued.

5. ashleymc2008 macrumors newbie

I wish they wouldn't have done this! I left verizon because they were so expensive and I came to tmobile so they can pay my etf. I love that I have unlimited everything but a discount would've been nice!

6. Deguello macrumors 6502

Actually, removing a 10-15% discount raises the bill by more than 10-15%.

It sounds like even less of a screaming deal.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I love how they try to put a positive spin on all this. Oh, the BIG carriers are using employees as pawns to close big contracts, but WE won't do that! Because giving people discounts is sooooo unfair to them!

Uhh, no. No one is buying that tripe. Your prices are being raised on people who were previously being given discounts, plain and simple. And sorry, but T-Mobile's network is still no prize. Most people getting those corporate discounts also travel, and need reliable service.

This "Uncarrier" stately is beginning to look less like a pro-consumer thing and more and more like plain arrogance.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not unusual, every company spins things like that. Addition through subtraction.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, I know that. I'm pointing out that an "uncarrier" was supposed to do things differently. But now everyone should be disabused of the misconception that T-Mobile is in any way different.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Everyone with discount, is grandfathered =). Bill doesn't go up.

11. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Even without the discount still cheaper than ATT where I got a 25% discount.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

So those with current discounts are unaffected? That's fine with me as long as I keep my 15%.

13. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

What a joke. I thought TMo was so pro-consumer.

They're nothing but a bunch of snakes. They get suckers in on low prices and then slowly jack them up.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They aren't jacking prices on people they hooked.
    But go ahead, be full of hate.

15. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

- They got rid of everyone's grandfathered plans

- They increased the prices of their unlimited plans

- They made JUMP! a ripoff by changing the terms

- They're dumping all the corporate discounts. Everyone will loose theirs after 4/25

Remind me again how I'm hating? Maybe I'm just not delusional enough to eat up TMo's marketing spin BS on this.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Oh. I see, they've updated since first article I read. http://www.tmonews.com/2014/03/t-mo...isappearing-full-details-on-upcoming-changes/
    So my bill jumps...

AIO cheaper, better network, and more high speed data. Now even cheaper. Ill be switching next week.

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

Wow that's incredible. I'm actually surprised they would do this. I keep mine because it's military but that does take incentive away from a lot of people especially since AT&T recently lowered their pricing.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

If you're not tmobile today, you probably will be saving money by moving from another carrier, albeit less money than in the past. But if you are tmobile today, except for military or government, no amount of spin will lessen that your monthly phone bill will go up, if on a corporate discount.

19. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I just think it's ironic that T-Mobile's whole marketing premise is about how much money they can save you, but they've been slowly increasing prices and changing terms to make more money.

What a bunch of snakes.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

First term Ive seen negatively effect me or coworkers.

Just earlier this month they doubled bandwidth 500m to 1gb. I was fine with 500, a lil tight some holiday months, but was fine, no overage charges.

Now that they've raised price differential to $23 premium over Aio.... 58 vs 35.... Eehhhhhh

21. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well u left verizon for a reason. So that says they got u a discount already. Want more? try verizon, att, and sprint then. Good luck!

22. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I am pretty pissed about this. After being with AT&T for over 6 years, I just switched to T-Mobile on March 12th. When I asked about the 15% corporate discount, which many of my co-workers have been enjoying for some time, they looked it up at the store and confirmed it and scanned my ID and applied it to my account. They said it should show up by my 2nd bill.

Well, looks like that's never even going to happen for me! I transferred 5 lines (4 with ETF's to take advantage of their promo) and 15% would save me $21 off my monthly bill. Comparing to what I was paying with AT&T (which gave my company a 24% discount, albeit a more expensive overall plan), switching over to T-Mobile will now cost me slightly more per month! That 15% discount absolutely made a difference...they can keep their crappy $25 upgrade card. Especially now that I have to buy un-subsidized phones.

Maybe my timing for the switch was just coincidentally terrible, but they HAD to know that this change was right around the corner. I feel like I've been totally had by T-Mobile...not a great start to using them (maybe it will be very short lived).

23. ashleymc2008 macrumors newbie

When I think about it, me and my fiancé were on a shared plan and we were paying $140 for 4 gb of data. I left now I pay 80 for unlimited everything plus the cost of the phone and jump insurance. I'm still thinking if the jump insurance is worth the extra 10 a month

24. F123D, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Only if you're military or government. Everyone else can kiss their discount goodbye.

25. shawndc1 macrumors regular

i have a good question..1. i work for state gov so does that count or only federal (im sure its fine print somewhere lol), 2. i signed up on jan 7 but had a balance due so it couldnt be applied i called back early march for them to apply it & they did...will tmobile try to scam me since it went it in, in march or stay true to word since i signed up before the feb 3 deadline that nobody knew about