Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
….."Charging overage fees is a greedy, predatory practice that needs to go," continued T-Mobile CEO John Legere. "Starting in May for bills arriving in June - regardless of whether you're on Simple Choice, Simple Starter or an older plan, we're abolishing overages for good. Period."

Besides removing overage fees, T-Mobile's Legere also started an online petition that asks AT&T, Verizon and Sprint to end overage fees, saying they are "no longer welcomed in this industry"…...

Article Link: T-Mobile Ending All Overage Charges, Challenging Rivals to Follow

I love this guy! Pretty well singlehandedly shaking up the carrier industry. Take note AT&T, Verizon and Sprint.

You gotta wonder, if and when the love-fest will end?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Hopefully it's called Apple :)

Not while the broadband pipe is also owned by the cable industry.

----------

I love this guy! Pretty well singlehandedly shaking up the carrier industry. Take note AT&T, Verizon and Sprint.
You gotta wonder, when will the love-fest end?

When one of the big boys decides to try (again) to buy out T-mobile. The sale already tried to go and somehow AT&T had to pay something like $4B for not being able to complete it. So now T-mobile appears to be rattling cages to see if either Verizon or Sprint might give it a go or maybe some kind of 2 or 3-way deal to get through regulation. Once acquired, all this gets killed and back to business as usual.

Remember when Alltel had an earlier version of this same kind of campaign in which they pitted themselves against the big 3 or 4 with the key punch being better pricing? Here's one of those commercials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBxHG4vfKw Whatever happened to Alltel? Same fate ahead for T-mobile unless they are too big for the regulators to allow the buy.

Last edited:

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Kicking AT&T's and Verizon's a**, one move at a time.

*Silently waits on AutoUnion39 and BigAW to get on and bog down my comment with unneeded crap.* :D

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm confused. Without overage charges, what's to prevent me from getting the cheapest data plan and using all the data I want ?

They throttle you down to edge speeds. If you look at their current plans, the amount of data you pay for is what you'll get at full speed. The reason it is still appealing is that you have a predictable bill. If you go over, service may suck. It just won't end with sticker shock. I don't think that's a bad system.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The difference is:

- AT&T changed their truly unlimited data plan to throttled. It wasn't advertised as being throttled when customers originally signed up for it. It was advertised as $30 all you can eat data and then changed when AT&T couldn't handle the data traffic. T-Mobile's throttled data plans are advertised as being throttled after a certain limit is reached.
- AT&T no longer offers that unlimited data plan either. New customers can only sign up for plans that include data caps with overages

Bottom line is that AT&T/VZW will not be dropping their overages. It's a huge source of revenue for them. As data speeds get faster, customers can either purchase more data or risk more overages. Either way it's a win/win for AT&T/VZW.

It's a win win until they loose all their customers to T-mobile.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..When one of the big boys decides to try (again) to buy out T-mobile. The sale already tried to go and somehow AT&T had to pay something like $4B for not being able to complete it. So now T-mobile appears to be rattling cages to see if either Verizon or Sprint might give it a go or maybe some kind of 2 or 3-way deal to get through regulation. Once acquired, all this gets killed and back to business as usual.

It was a rhetorical question, but hey, don't spoil the fun now! :D
In all seriousness, Deutsche Telekom has not given up trying to unload it's T-Mob US arm, and it would indeed be bad for consumers if AT&T or Verizon would be able to convince the FCC and DoJ to allow such a take-over after all.

A deal with Sprint would be the least odious from a consumer standpoint, but I'm not sure if Sprint has the means to at the very least purchase a controlling interest in T-Mob USA. And then there is the costly matter of network incompatibility with Sprint's CDMA and T-Mob's GSM.

A three-way deal with either one of the big guys, and your last point may sadly come true.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes, accept you are not correct. T-Mobile throttles you from 4G down to the next lowest tier. That generally is 3G.
Not according to their own website they don't. They throttle to a max of 2G (EDGE).

Once you have used all the high speed data allotted on your data option, your data speed will automatically convert to up to 2G web speeds for the remainder of your billing cycle
Emphasis Added
Source:T-Mobile - Question on Plans?

If they throttled to the next lowest tier it would be fantastic as 3G is still fast enough to use the web and stream music while EDGE is pretty much only good for Mail and Messages.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
They throttle you down to edge speeds. If you look at their current plans, the amount of data you pay for is what you'll get at full speed. The reason it is still appealing is that you have a predictable bill. If you go over, service may suck. It just won't end with sticker shock. I don't think that's a bad system.

I would much rather have it stop until I buy some more data rather than being throttled.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
The cable industry has deals with cities to prevent competition.

To be a little more fair, the deals are there to prevent cities from looking like this:

Telephone+Wires+over+New+York,+c.+1887-1888+(3).jpg

----------

http://www.directv.com
http://www.dishnetwork.com

2 Competitors in the 48 Contiguous USA.

I don't know about dish, but I had DirecTV for ten years, and I am way, way happier with Comcast since giving DirecTV the boot after being angered once too often by them.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
So tmobile were greedy and predatory until they just changed this?

That they were, but now they have seen the light. Can I get a hallelujah?:p

To be a little more fair, the deals are there to prevent cities from looking like this:

Cable companies need to come up with a better excuse than that. We have the technology to run underground cables. Or are we still stuck with 19th century technology?

chinesedemo

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2011
Such greedy policies were NEVER "welcome". They were done because they COULD. Just like how my credit union charges me $30 if I don't have enough money in my checking account to make a payment from my savings, or at all, for that matter. Charging people fees for not having money is, and always has been, greedy and illogical. The only place crap like this is ever "welcome" is in corporate board rooms. If not for the successes of these companies, they wouldn't have started all these abusive practices in the first place. But these "service provider" companies are at the top of the list in the corporate brotherhood of "fees and other additional charges". Once one is big enough to do it without losing too many customers, the rest follow suit to make sure they're not missing out on a revenue stream.

There's so much like this going on in capitalism that it's nice to see at least one company trying to do what capitalists claim is at the core of the system: be competitive by being BETTER in some way. They can't be better on a technical level? Well, then be better to customers and appeal to new customers that way. Sad.

But billions have already been extracted from consumers by these companies with these unethical and consumer abusive techniques, and if T-Mobile fails to win people over with this strategy (or even more likely, if they became an industry dominator), I'm sure corporate "governance" would decide to reinstill these abusive fees just to increase profit margins once their profit increases started leveling off year over year. That's WHY these fees and other abuses EXIST in the first place! That's also why they'll eventually return. Never trust capitalism to do the right thing for YOU the consumer, and never trust it to let you pay the same amount every month, regularly, because they'll change the deal on you the moment it stops getting them a lot of new subscribers, and they'll increase prices just to increase profit, NOT because the cost of running the business increases (my DSL and phone combo bill has gone from $50 per month to $72 per month between 2005 and 2014, and the quality of services and data speeds have only degraded, and I've fought various fees for crap I never asked for; yet Verizon has been making greater profits hand over fist year after year; like the lies of the petroleum companies, they're not struggling, it just makes them greater profits to make their customers struggle).

Still... Hooray for T-Mobile... If they weren't a struggling carrier, it might look like something other than an act of desperation to actually treat their customers better than their competitors do. No, I don't take this as proof that capitalism works, and I don't see what this has to do with Apple/Mac news. Maybe if Apple became a cellular carrier...

Much of what you wrote here is nonsense. You are welcome to jump on the defeatism train. But you are the source of your own woes.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't know about dish, but I had DirecTV for ten years, and I am way, way happier with Comcast since giving DirecTV the boot after being angered once too often by them.
I had the opposite experience. I had comcast and always had issues. The cable would cut out constantly, at least twice a month. The tech would come and troubleshoot it but nothing ever changed. We switched to DirecTV, and had them for 6 years, and never had an issue with them (and the HD was a lot cleaner). I only dropped them because me and my family decided we weren't getting our monies worth. Man it feels great to save $90/month.

Much of what you wrote here is nonsense. You are welcome to jump on the defeatism train. But you are the source of your own woes.
Don't be so naive. He's absolutely correct in that this is how public companies work (I realize he never stated "public companies" but that's basically what he's talking about). They're driven to make greater and greater profits by their shareholders. However, if anyone is to blame it isn't "capitalism" its the stock system.

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I would much rather have it stop until I buy some more data rather than being throttled.

You could buy a higher plan. Look at the rates offered by AT&T on overage. If you're a heavy data user it adds up quite fast. In that case it would be cheaper just to opt for a plan with a higher soft cap if you intend to use T-Mobile.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The cable industry needs a T-Mobile.
It's worth remembering that this wouldn't have happened if T-Mobile and AT&T were allowed to merge. You might want to contract your federal government officials with this insight as they discuss whether Comcast and Time Warner should be allowed to merge...
So tmobile were greedy and predatory until they just changed this?
Yes. And if a company is pilloried for the behavior they're discontinuing when they try to improve their customer relationships then they're being incentivized to not change. This isn't hypocrisy, it's self improvement.
No, they're pretty much to prevent competition.

There are no such deals for phone and cities don't look like that. Cities are welcome to ban above-ground wiring which would prevent cities from looking like that. Cities could establish a single infrastructure provider, perhaps the city itself, and lease that infrastructure to multiple content providers, which would prevent a city from looking like that.

The deals have nothing to do with aesthetics and everything to do with monopoly.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
That they were, but now they have seen the light. Can I get a hallelujah?:p

YouTube: video

Cable companies need to come up with a better excuse than that. We have the technology to run underground cables. Or are we still stuck with 19th century technology?

I can't imagine moving into a new house that had one provider and I decide to switch to a different one. What a nightmare! It was bad enough when I moved into an apartment set up for the local cable provider and decided I wanted U-Verse instead. We have WOW here. They're irritating but not evil like Comcast.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Such greedy policies were NEVER "welcome". They were done because they COULD. [...]
There's so much like this going on in capitalism that it's nice to see at least one company trying to do what capitalists claim is at the core of the system: be competitive by being BETTER in some way. They can't be better on a technical level? Well, then be better to customers and appeal to new customers that way.[...]
I'd be curious in a more detailed response, @chinesedemo. Aside from wanting to add "unregulated" ahead of most of the posters use of "capitalism", or more likely to just replace "capitalism" with "oligopoly" (which I think is a result of under regulated capitalism), I agree with @dysamoria.

If people thought these were valuable services (overdraft protection, overage fees) then they'd be opt-in. Or more likely, companies would charge you a fee for the desired protection. Instead they're just hidden trip-wires.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Somehow I expect Comcast flacks to hold this up as proof that there is good choice and strong competition among the cable companies.

----------

Maybe John is trying to use the spectre of margin erosion at his competitors to goad one of them into buying T-Mobile. (Or joining in a consortium to tear it apart.)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I don't really care for the throttling other posters have mentioned.

This makes no sense at all to me.

So you'd prefer when you hit your cap while out and about you can't do anything until you take the time to pay for an extra GB of data, instead of hitting the cap and having it get very slow so you can finish checking your email until you have a minute to sit down and decide if you want to add an extra GB of data?

What on earth is the advantage of having no service over slow service? You can buy another GB of fast data either way (at a relatively reasonable price by cell standards), it's just a question of what happens between when you hit the cap and when you take the time to do something about it.

And then there's those cheapskates among us who aren't going to pay for more data. In which case we get the choice between nothing at all if we hit the cap, or something slow.

Hmm... something or nothing for the same price.

What is the possible advantage of nothing, unless you're addicted to your phone and need it to force you to stop using it?

I like the idea of cutting you off till you pay for more data. That way you know you have used all your data.
...or, you know because your connection gets really slow. And you can check the usage easily enough if you're not sure.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
If I pay for 2 GB a month and go over my 2 GB limit, I should be notified and be able to stay at the full speed. F this throttling deal, hell AT&T and Verizon's networks are getting a beating. T-Mobile is in a bind because of the limitations of tower's in rural america , goto the city and there's no problem at all.

What ever happened to the down vote button for posts

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I don't get it. So if you are in a grandfathered 500 minute voice plan. Than tmobile is letting you have unlimited minutes for free?

Ha ha. Probably not!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's worth remembering that this wouldn't have happened if T-Mobile and AT&T were allowed to merge. You might want to contract your federal government officials with this insight as they discuss whether Comcast and Time Warner should be allowed to merge...

Do you think they'd really compete if Comcast weren't allowed to purchase them? I guess I could see that happening... if the market is saturated, then they don't have any other option but to vie for each other's customers. Or make illegal agreements that they'll each screw their customers in equal ways.

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
If I pay for 2 GB a month and go over my 2 GB limit, I should be notified and be able to stay at the full speed. F this throttling deal, hell AT&T and Verizon's networks are getting a beating. T-Mobile is in a bind because of the limitations of tower's in rural america , goto the city and there's no problem at all.

What ever happened to the down vote button for posts

In fact, T-Mobile automatically notifies you when you exceed 80% of your high-speed monthly allocation. If you want, you can move up to the next high-speed tier for $10 or just wait until your monthly cycle resets. Further you can check it anytime via their app or by dialing #WEB#.

Why is all this so hard to understand for people on this thread? Basically voice and text are going unlimited for all plans. High-speed data is limited by the plan you choose but you will not have overages because you are throttled back to a lower speed once you exceed your high-speed allocation which is unlimited. It's pretty simple and if you want unlimited high-speed LTE data, they have a plan for that too. Plus there's no charge for international texting from the USA and text/data is included when you travel to most countries.

It works great for me. I have also blocked international calling so I don't get stuck with some crazy bill - although their int'l calling rates are not bad at all on the int'l calling plan for $10-$15 that includes unlimited calls to a lot of countries. I'm actually thinking of dropping my Vonage line that gives me unlimited int'l calling but costs me about $36 pm all told.

T-Mobile is awesome provided you are in an area that has good service. Their data service when you are on the road, in between major metros, can suck. So if you need it there, it is not for you.

How can T-Mobile do this? The bottom line is a very small part of their revenue comes from these overages so it's a minimal cost to them but puts pressure on the other carriers. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.