Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I think you pay the phone outright, or make EIP payments, then they slowly credit your account with the $$$.

Last edited:

SWAT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
"Starting September 9th, for a limited time, new and existing postpaid customers can get a new iPhone 7 On Us (or an iPhone 7 Plus for $120) with the trade-in of an eligible iPhone and activation on a 24-month Equipment Installment Plan."

cyclist230

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
No, it's definitely not a scam. I just preordered mine and is waiting for the phone to arrive next week before I send my 6 in. They had a similar deal two years ago. Trade in an iPhone 5 for $350 and iPhone 4 for $200. This is great because I'm getting full price for a two year old phone.

By the way, the website can be confusing. Call 611 or 1800-TMOBILE instead. I gave up doing it online after it only offer me the ONE plan.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Is it correct that I have to pay the full price for the iPhone 7 upfront and than get it credited back in small installments during the 24 month of contract?

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
You pay the full price UP FRONT, then over 2 years, they pay you back the value you paid.
Only downfall is, if you want to upgrade NEXT year to the next model, you're basically screwed. That is why Im going the Apple Upgrade Program route.

Reactions: KingArthurVI

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
You pay the full price UP FRONT, then over 2 years, they pay you back the value you paid.
Only downfall is, if you want to upgrade NEXT year to the next model, you're basically screwed. That is why Im going the Apple Upgrade Program route.

Why would you be screwed? You could still get the upgrade plan when the next device is relased (assuming TMo wont have another, similar program next year), and sell your iPhone 7.

Hassan Khan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
You have to upgrade to TMobile One though which sucks. I just tried to get the free phone.

Hassan Khan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
On their website now, it allows me to keep my current plan and not get the TMobile One
But they won't give you the free promotion if you don't switch to Tmobile One. You can still trade in your phone but you won't be eligible for the free phone. That's what they told me over the phone. It's a trap to get you to switch your plan

Reactions: freepomme

SimplyS

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Just wondering, why does Tmobile ONE suck? I've been with at&t for years, grandfathered into unlimited and only stuck with them due to that and the fact that the phones were subsidized. my bill is close to 110$ a month for one line. Is there any reason to stick with att and not switch to tmobile one?

SWAT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Went to T-mobile store today to transfer my phone # from AT&T. They said I am not able to trade in my iphone 6 unless I cancel my current order because I never input the IMEI # when I order the phone. Anyone has that problem?

SWAT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Was there any trade in option when you guys purchase the phone?

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
WRONG WRONG WRONG. You don't pay anything. youre financing the device for 24 months and they are giving a credit on every bill to cover that payment. Get you're facts strait.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
WRONG WRONG WRONG. You don't pay anything. youre financing the device for 24 months and they are giving a credit on every bill to cover that payment. Get you're facts strait.
Yes, exactly. It's not a scam.

Also, when I used the website, I only got the option of choosing the ONE plan. But then I called them (there is a note on the website to call them for other options), I could keep my current plan and get the free iPhone 7 (or in my case, since I have a 5s, $250).

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Just wondering, why does Tmobile ONE suck? I've been with at&t for years, grandfathered into unlimited and only stuck with them due to that and the fact that the phones were subsidized. my bill is close to 110$ a month for one line. Is there any reason to stick with att and not switch to tmobile one?
I don't think T-Mobile One sucks. I am porting my number over from AT&T today hopefully if they complete my unlock of my iPhone by today. I also had the grandfathered AT&T plan. Looking forward to joining T-Mobile and getting my iPhone 7 plus upgrade

Darkvelvet

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
Please remember to read the fine print. It's a scam to not only get your previous iPhone 6S for nothing at all, but you will be paying in full price for the iPhone 7 Plus 32GB Model.

Here is the details.

$769.99 full retail price

Get iPhone 7 Plus for $120 w/iPhone 6 or 6s trade-up

$0 upfront
+ $32.09/mo. x 24 mos. If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. For well-qualified customer. 0% APR, O.A.C. Qual'g service req'd.

You will be lock into their so call EIP ( Equipment Installation Plant. ) which basically you have to paid $32.09 each month for 24 Month. 32.09 x 24 = $770.16 + $20 Sim Starter Kit = 790.16.

Now, if you go to the Apple Website and just order there for a brand new same model with Free Shipping, the total with Tax is $842.82. 842.82 - 790.16 = 52.66.

So you basically gave them your iPhone 6S for $52.66. This is outright disgusting that they actually doing this. Remind me of Game Stop trade in game. You can sale your iPhone 6S on ebay for $350.00 - $400.00.

Reactions: miss.manson

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
This offer is a SCAM!!! Trust me!! Ok maybe not a scam, but you're getting nothing FREE and giving them a phone they can refurb and make money from. Trust me. I was there bright and early yesterday and willing to give them my iPhone SE and iPhone 6s Plus until I found out the actual details.

It's NOT A DEAL!!

The credit you get for your phone that you trade in is spread out over 24 months. The credit doesn't come off from the up front cost. Basically I was told for an iPhone 7 128 GB that my up front cost was $1088 for 2 of them and that my credits would show after 2 billing cycles... then I was like what about the $650 for the 6s Plus and the $400 for the iPhone SE? That would bring my out of pocket to $38 correct??? NO!!! It's added in and spread out in your monthly bill.

God I'm so mad at myself for switching carriers ... AND I SWITCHED FROM CRAPPY A** SPRINT!!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I don't see this as a scam at all. Yes, to get the full benefit, you have to stay with them for the next 24 months. But to get a $650 credit for trading in a 16gb iPhone that is worth about $300 on the street? I'd say that is a more than fair trade off.

Up front, all you have to pay is tax on the full-price of the iPhone 7 plus the difference of whatever model you pick that is on top of the $650. Or just get the lowest 32gb iPhone 7 and all you pay is the ~$50 tax up front (depending on your tax rate). You DO NOT pay the full price up front. But you are committed to that total cost over the next 24 months.

Trade in your old iPhone, get ~$165 credited to your next bill, and then pay just a net of less than $7 each month for the next 24 months. In the end, you did get a $650 credit towards your new iPhone 7. The best bang for the buck is those trading in iPhone 6, not an iPhone 6S+. Up to you if it's worth it. But not hard to do the math and definitely not a scam.

Reactions: HiItsMe

Darkvelvet

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
Does anyone know if I have to switch plan, and if iPhone 6 Plus work? Does it have to be iPhone 6S?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I don't see this as a scam at all. Yes, to get the full benefit, you have to stay with them for the next 24 months. But to get a $650 credit for trading in a 16gb iPhone that is worth about $300 on the street? I'd say that is a more than fair trade off.

Up front, all you have to pay is tax on the full-price of the iPhone 7 plus the difference of whatever model you pick that is on top of the $650. Or just get the lowest 32gb iPhone 7 and all you pay is the ~$50 tax up front (depending on your tax rate). You DO NOT pay the full price up front. But you are committed to that total cost over the next 24 months.

Trade in your old iPhone, get ~$165 credited to your next bill, and then pay just a net of less than $7 each month for the next 24 months. In the end, you did get a $650 credit towards your new iPhone 7. The best bang for the buck is those trading in iPhone 6, not an iPhone 6S+. Up to you if it's worth it. But not hard to do the math and definitely not a scam.

I agree it's not a scam perse, and it was well explained in the fine print...

I just can admit that I did t read the fine print fully for once. It is a free 7 eventually, but it's. it up front and you actually pay quite a bit up front to walk out with an iPhone 7
[doublepost=1474154427][/doublepost]
Does anyone know if I have to switch plan, and if iPhone 6 Plus work? Does it have to be iPhone 6S?

iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 6s, SE, 5s... those all work

Darkvelvet

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
I agree it's not a scam perse, and it was well explained in the fine print...

I just can admit that I did t read the fine print fully for once. It is a free 7 eventually, but it's. it up front and you actually pay quite a bit up front to walk out with an iPhone 7
[doublepost=1474154427][/doublepost]

iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 6s, SE, 5s... those all work

I'm on TMobile Family Plan for $70 a Month. Do I need to switch Plan to TMobile One Plant for $150? Damn, I have an iPhone 6 Plus right now, but my parent will kill me if I switch plan.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I'm on TMobile Family Plan for $70 a Month. Do I need to switch Plan to TMobile One Plant for $150? Damn, I have an iPhone 6 Plus right now, but my parent will kill me if I switch plan.

They try to make it seem like you HAVE to switch plans, but I was told by a different employee that it's not something you HAVE to do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.