T-Mobile Gifting Customers Free Year of MLB.TV Premium Ahead of 2018 Season

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

T-Mobile today announced the return of its Major League Baseball-themed offer, gifting customers a free year's subscription to MLB.TV and the MLB At Bat app's premium features, worth $115.99 in total.

[​IMG]

Available for T-Mobile customers only, the MLB.TV deal will be available in the T-Mobile Tuesdays app [Direct Link] beginning March 27, 2018 and run through April 2, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. ET. If customers sign up for MLB.TV during this period on T-Mobile's network, they'll get their free 2018 MLB Regular Season subscription on the service and an At Bat Premium season subscription at no additional cost.
    The deal's fine print points out that this is for new 2018 subscribers of MLB.TV only, and current subscribers must cancel by 8:00 p.m. ET on March 23 to be eligible ahead of the March 27 launch on T-Mobile Tuesdays.

MLB.TV is a streaming service available as an app on most platforms, including Apple TV, PS4, Roku, Fire TV, and more. The service lets baseball fans watch every out-of-market regular season game live or on demand in HD, while the At Bat Premium features include 60fps video, radio broadcasts, and more.
    T-Mobile's deal will debut two days before Opening Day of the 2018 Major League Baseball season on Thursday, March 29. This year will be the fifth consecutive year that T-Mobile has offered a free year of MLB.TV to its customers.

Article Link: T-Mobile Gifting Customers Free Year of MLB.TV Premium Ahead of 2018 Season

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

3. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

The small downside is that, based upon past T-Mobile offers, is that it authenticates via your service. My parents accounts are under my name, but I can't use it because my company pays for my phone and it's Verizon. Oh well. I can still use it online though, just not mobile.

4. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Pretty cool, but I wish I really cared about baseball

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

You can watch Major League Soccer for free with the MLS Live app (iOS and AppleTV).

6. Ronald Reagan macrumors newbie

Ronald Reagan

The downside? You’re on the T-Mobile network.

7. mthomas184 macrumors 6502

mthomas184

The upside? I pay a LOT less than the other carriers and get better signal and speeds than the other 3.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Many people say this. I have been a T-Mobile customer for many years and I have never had an issue with them, except in obscenely rural areas of Texas where the road is the only human made thing in sight.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What part of the authentication is via the service? After the account is set up and all, can you watch on other non-TMobile devices? For example, AppleTV?

10. Ronald Reagan macrumors newbie

Ronald Reagan

Where I live T-Mobile service is dreadful if you get out of the city/suburbs and I’m often on the road for work and recreation—a complete showstopper those like myself or those who aren’t house-ridden/get out a lot. I wish it weren’t the case, because I happen to be a baseball fan.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yes you can watch it on any device you want. (Not saying it, but with a nice VPN you can circumvent blackouts)

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Thanks! In the past, without this tmobile promo, I've used a different way (smartDNS) to circumvent blackouts.

13. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

After the initial authentication the service is tied to your MLB account. You can watch on any device MLB.TV is available on. I watch games on Apple TV and listen with my Amazon Echo devices. Plus, T-Mobile doesn't charge you data to stream games on their network (on most plans).

14. ThankYouRob macrumors member

ThankYouRob

We switched from Verizon to T-Mobile about a year ago and have had zero problems, we do live in the Twin Cities metro area though (Minneapolis/St Paul) so the ultimate test for service will be this summer when we travel. We're saving about $20/month over Verizon AND getting unlimited Data with our Netflix included...and with these T-Mobile bonuses although not all are great, to be honest. There's $5.50 VUDU credits a couple times a month and now this MLB deal, nice perks every once in a while sure do help. I'm a Minnesota Twins fan and we do not have cable TV service so watching the games isn't the easiest...I've always been curious but never pulled the trigger on an MLB subscription, this will be a nice way to give it a try.

15. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

2nd star to the right and straight on til morning
    Fixed it for you.
    I have no issues works better for me than Verizon and AT&T. And much cheaper $75 taxes included everything unlimited. Smartphone, iPad and an Apple Watch LTE. For that I’ll even deal with some issues if I had any.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I love MLB tv, I even paid for it a few years back. Watching two games at the same time, switching between the various games etc makes for a pretty decent experience. I even had MiLB TV for a while, and although its quality is low you can watch quite a few interesting Minor League games.

17. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

I can't speak for Apple TV stuff, but I'm sure they just your username and password. However if it's anything like past services, if you want to use it on a cell phone, it authenticates using your service. It may have changed, but not sure.

18. grundoon macrumors member

grundoon

Unfortunately MLB.TV charges current subscribers at the *end of February*, long before there's any certainty that T-Mobile will again provide the spiff. Yes, you can jump through hoops to cancel and get a refund and hope the timing all works out, but yes, you also lose your established account/site-wide identity and have to create a new one.

19. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

*up until ESPN launches their corresponding service later this year, at which point they are the new rights holders for the package.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yep. Enjoy it while it lasts. I wonder how much ESPN will charge for it.

21. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I'm trying to understand this. I used the free subscription last year too. Is there anything I need to do to get it free this year?

22. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Ah, good to know it's back! I cancelled the auto-renew of my minor-league subscription (milb.com) because I wasn't sure if I'd have to pay for mlb.tv - when you do, you can add on the minor-league package for half off.

So I'll end up paying full price for milb.com, but that's about half of the price of the major-league package.

23. grundoon macrumors member

grundoon

Considering I've now given MLB.tv about $350 that I never actually needed to, I'm hardly the expert on the deal. It sounds like you might still need to explicitly cancel your account at MLB.tv, even though it was created through T-Mobile last year, and you only have 2 more days to find out and do so to qualify for this year's offer.

24. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Just use the "T-Mobile Tuesdays" app next Tuesday, March 27, and redeem the offer. That's it.

BTW @grundoon's comment does not reflect my experience. Prior to T-Mobile giving away MLB.tv, I had previously been a paying subscriber for a few years; but all I had to do was cancel my renewal (after the fact - I'd already been charged) and then redeem the T-Mobile offer. I was able to link my T-Mobile subscription with my existing MLB account.

25. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What hoops? There is literally just a cancel button on the "Audio/Video Subscriptions" page under the main menu dropdown when you click on your account in the top right corner of the website. Also, I think they charge current subscribers in early March before the Spring Training games start, which makes sense to me.