Carrier T-Mobile iPhone 7 not really free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Floydpink, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Floydpink, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

Floydpink macrumors member

I know that all the details on this promo were clearly displayed and I am dumb for not reading everything, but my local T-Mobile store had a 7 in today and I rushed in to buy it.

I've never preordered my iPhones and have had every model, skipping the S years, since the first one.

My 6 is paid off and I expected to hand it over and get my 7 and make 24 payments.

I'm old, and 32 gb is plenty, I don't need a plus, and my case would not make the new colors visible.

What I neglected to notice was that the only eligible phones are on the unlimited T-Mobile ONE program.

I have 6 lines on my account with 10gb of data, with data stash,which is more than anyone in my family uses.

The price increase for the new plan just pretty much sealed the deal that I will be holding onto my 6 for another year.

I'm not bashing the 7, and know it would improve my 6's performance, but in my particular case, the majority of my phone usage is for, believe it or not, making calls and sending texts, and light duty apps, while the majority of my work is done on my iPad Pro.

I might change my mind and hope everyone loves their 7s.

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Really? You have to be on the T-Mobile ONE to take advantage of that?

3. Floydpink, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

Floydpink thread starter macrumors member

Whew! Thanks for making feel better.

Yes.

Even more interesting is the fact that more than one rep has told me they are expecting it to be discontinued before stores have stock and I better order and wait until mid October for delivery.

I'm not remotely interested in getting into a conversation about what is coming next year, how lame or great this model is, how yellow the screen is, and how stupid I am for not realizing how much CPU, ram, camera ability and all that is.

I was ready to continue my 2 year upgrade cycle.

I'm probably lazy, but the whole mail in your old phone, once they receive it, you should see credits in 2-3 months, etc made it so I was only doing this if I could swap out in store.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

It was up in the air at first, but yes this is what I heard as well.

There is always a catch. They want people on the new "limited" unlimited plans and off older plans.

5. iphone6plus macrumors member

The promotion was changed on/around 9/15. If you preordered prior to the change, you were not required to change your plan.

6. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

This is correct. I upgraded both of my lines to the iPhone 7 while keeping my 10GB/line+stash plan.

7. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Correct. I did NOT change my plan to Tmo ONE.

Oops, I see others saying the same. Enjoy the 7 everyone! I got mine on Friday at 10am.

8. dmx macrumors 6502a

Initially, no. T-Mobile changed it with only about 2 hours notice to stores and customers.

Uncarrier my ass.

9. Floydpink thread starter macrumors member

Out of curiosity, I asked what the trade in would be for my 6, which is in perfect condition, and they said they would have to research it and call me later, much later.

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Had I wanted the 7 this year anyway (which I don't) I would have stayed with my 6s anyway because I have the Simple Choice $80 UD plan with 7GB tethering and 5GB data match for my tablets.

I'm not giving that up for the considerably less that One or One+ offers but charges more for!

That said, my thoughts about how I perceive the iPhone 7 are fairly well known by now so I won't repeat it here.

<COUGH>
    iPhone 7
    <COUGH>
    Fugly!!!

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

They probably give you like 150.

12. Floydpink thread starter macrumors member

I love that and just tweeted it to John Legere

13. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

They do that stuff all the time. They are the king of the bait and switch. If I could have afforded it I would have switched to Verizon last week after the T-Mobile preorder debacle. I cannot stand the company anymore.

14. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's actually genius what T-Mobile is doing. An evil genius though. Reel everyone in a year or two ago with cheap plans with unlimited data, unlimited tethering etc, or high data caps with high speed tethering. Slowly roll out "better" deals where customer don't realize they are nickel and dimed and soon enough they are worse off than they were a few years ago.

15. Floydpink thread starter macrumors member

I actually got a reply saying, "with this combo of a powerful phone and plan to suit it, you win!"

I replied how I actually lose

16. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

There is no way I am switching to the new plan. Ill switch carriers first.

17. ray737 macrumors 6502

I must be missing something. I just switched from AT&T. My bill is way cheaper and I'm in Munich right now at Oktoberfest enjoying free data and texts for no additional costs. I'm pretty damn happy with T-Mobile plan I just got.

18. Floydpink thread starter macrumors member

You're not missing anything. After an ATT contract, a sharp stick in the eye seems like a good deal.

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

This is the difference between Sprint and T-Mobile.

Sprint just switches. No bait, no explanation. Press them and you get a corporate boilerplate, weasel answer.

I don't like either method but just being cut off with no warning and no alternative while being given the runaround (Sprint) is worse to me.

20. s54 macrumors 6502

I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile because:

1. It's cheaper
    2. It's (mostly) free internationally

If it weren't for those two reasons, I would have never switched. Compared to Verizon, my T-Mobile service and reception are garbage. Absolute crap. And the other thing I'm concerned about is just how deceptive T-Mobile is in their marketing. Lying dirtbags. That's all I can say. I couldn't count the number of things I found out recently about my plan that may seem obvious, but aren't.

For example, the 'binge on' streaming service is not available with the $50 plan, even though the website let's you turn on/off binge on, which leads one to believe that you have it. It applies only to the higher tier plans (anything over 2GB, which costs more than $50).

21. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

I loved them at the start too, but you will get sick of their customer service (or lack there of) real quick I promise you.

22. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's very possible to be completely happy with T-Mobile for now if you just stick to your current plan and aren't enticed by anything new they are offering. Just do your research before you accept something that seems better. They will try to lure you away from your better plans to the newer plans but hold your ground. They aren't forcing anyone off old plans yet, so I will give them credit for that. Once they start force switching, I'll have to consider all options again.

23. Floydpink thread starter macrumors member

TMo really pissed me off recently.
    My daughter was given a phone after achieving honor roll.

The rep said it came with 2 free accessories as a bonus.

She took the case and car charger.

We started seeing monthly installments for the free accessories.

For 3 months, it was removed, a $40 credit issued to stop me from screaming, and a promise we wouldn't see it again.

After $120 in credits, and finally free accessories, I am very hesitant to trust them ever again
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    Very true, which is why I left ATT to go to TMO after they kept trying to get me off my grandfathered unlimited data.

I'm actually overall happy with TMO, but can't figure out how to not get tempted by the newest iphone

24. Zaino macrumors regular

Zaino

Hello ! I want to order one Iphone 7/7+ from America. Is T-MOBILE contract free ? Do you know a site which delivers to Europe ? Thx a lot !

25. ray737 macrumors 6502

I have learned that I get better service from the folks on twitter and when I speak to the North American English speaking reps. I'm fine with that so far. I am getting a way better value than what I had before . You guys are spoiled