T-Mobile iPhone. Say it aint so!! :O

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeG4, Apr 23, 2011.

1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/23/exclusive-apple-testing-iphone-4-for-t-mobile-usa/

Having seen this, I would suppose Apple is testing a GSM iPhone that uses the VZW iPhone's new multi-band chip that supports GSM and AWS. :)

That's awesome! Maybe us T-Mo guys will be getting an iPhone that can be later used on AT&T.. I'd be ok with that. I mean, they should've come out with this 6 months ago but.. yea!

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

AT&T already bought T-Mobile. There's no point..:rolleyes:

3. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

T-Mobile is still acting as T-Mobile until the buyout is finalized. If Apple and T-Mobile already had a deal to make an iPhone that worked with T-Mo, and it was in the beta stages, there's no point in not doing it.

That is - I highly, highly doubt the AWS iPhone wouldn't support the GSM band AT&T uses, since the chip in the VZW iPhone was rumored to support both AT&T 3G AND T-Mobile 3G anyway.

So if they wanted to, they could launch it and T-Mobile users could just use it both ways. That'd be nice, actually.

I should note, that other new phones have been launching even after the merger was announced.

4. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

The iPhone 5 (or whatever it will be called) will work the same way for Verizon and AT&T.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

no they haven't

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

What about those anti iphone 4 commercials from tmobile

7. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Verizon had commercials dissing the iPhone. It's a dog eat dog world when it comes to advertising and hooking a customer. No different than a car salesman selling Toyotas one day and Nissans the next.

8. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Is Congress aware of that?!

9. Vizin, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

If I were still with T-Mobile USA, I would've enjoyed the novelty of having the "T-Mobile" carrier tag on the status bar

Just to have it inevitably say "AT&T" not too long afterwards

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple has heavily criticised technology in the past that it has later adopted:

Intel Processors
    Video on an iPod
    Integrated Graphics

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

Why the fuzz? Isn't it more likely Apple handed out factory unlocked phones? :confused:

13. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

ETA for transition: at least 2 years.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Heh my iPhone says Cingular on the top left of the phone

15. macinnv, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

macinnv macrumors regular

It will probably come to T-Mobile and Sprint next, maybe even as early as May. Without a June release of the next iPhone, Apple will want to do something to pump up iPhone sales this quarter. Especially if potentially less people buy because they are waiting for the new iPhone release. What a great way to add at least a few million more iPhones in an otherwise dull iPhone quarter - white iPhone, T-Mobile, Sprint and other large international carriers.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This whole T-Mobile iPhone thing may simply be to test an iPhone that works on AWS as well as the world 3G GSM frequencies, so if they are able to sell a T-Mobile iPhone 4 or 5, that it will continue after at&t shuts down the AWS for 3G if the merger is approved, and if they follow the roadmap laid out in the merger documentation.

TEG

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    So maybe all 4 major US carriers will get the next iphone.

18. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Could someone explain to a Brit why this is big news? I took my uk iPhone to Florida recently and it used t-mobile a few times, is there something special about their network?

19. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

T-Mobile USA doesn't carry the iPhone and has different 3G frequencies than the models released on the market.

You were probably roaming on their Edge network.

20. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

T-Mobile uses the standard GSM frequencies for EDGE and GPRS, but uses 1700 Mhz, called AWS for Advanced Wireless Service, and allows for more data by not using the same frequencies as standard GSM. It only exists in the US and Cananda, those frequencies used for other purposes elsewhere in the world. It is rare for a company to make a phone that works on the AWS frequencies, which is why having the iPhone have AWS is a big deal.

TEG

21. dorky24 macrumors newbie

22. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Even if the purchase had been approved yet (it hasn't) there's no guaranteed time line on when T-Mobile's network would transition over to AT&T's frequencies ... or even it it would be practical to do so at all in the short term.

If another entity already owns the rights to AT&T's preferred spectrum in a particular region, then AT&T would have to convince them to give up their claim before AT&T would be allowed to start using it.

And a good deal of T-Mobile's assets might lie in the spectrum they ALREADY own. AT&T may be hesitant to just give it all up. They may actually prefer to leave all the spectrum in their newly merged network just where it is. Instead, they might start giving preference to selling more handsets using penta-band cellular chipsets which would be natively capable of using the entire merged network.

23. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I'd be pissed if tmobile got it now as i left them to go to verizon. I just dont want ATT.