T-Mobile Launches 'Caller Verified' Tool to Protect Subscribers From Scammers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

T-Mobile today launched a new "Caller Verified" feature that's designed to offer its customers more protection from scammers and spammers who spoof legitimate phone calls to attempt to fool smartphone owners.

Caller Verified uses the STIR and SHAKEN standards that are in place to combat illegal caller ID spoofing.

[​IMG]

Right now, T-Mobile's implementation of Caller Verified is limited. It's only available on the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and it is limited to the T-Mobile network.

On the Note 9, calls on the T-Mobile network will be "Caller Verified," with customers able to see that labeling to be sure that calls are authentic and are not coming from a scammer or spammer.

T-Mobile says that it plans to make the Caller Verified feature available on more smartphones later in the year, but it is not clear if that includes Apple's devices.

The feature will also work with calls coming from other carriers once other wireless providers implement STIR/SHAKEN standards.

T-Mobile has other spam fighting tools including Scam ID, Scam Block, and a premium Name ID app.

Article Link: T-Mobile Launches 'Caller Verified' Tool to Protect Subscribers From Scammers

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

I really hope Apple does not wait until iOS 13 for STIR/SHAKEN.

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

This will continue to be an arms race like most bad actors in tech but I'm glad there a small step forward being taken by the good guys.

edit to add: I have call forwarding set to just send all calls direct to voice mail so none of these scammers reach me anyway. Anyone I want to talk with would be reaching out via some other method anyway (most likely text based but otherwise app based voip or video messaging/facetime).

What's a phone call?

4. Unity451, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Unity451 macrumors member

Unity451

I prefer my call verification to be SHAKEN, not STIRRED.

Too obvious?

5. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

Good for T-Mobile. Hopefully it appears in iOS devices ASAP and spurs AT&T and VZW to add similar features.

Spam/scam calls are out of control.

6. jared52 macrumors member

Wait, these things can make phone calls??

7. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

AT&T has had an app called Call Protect for a very long time... 2 years? It's free, and it definitely works.

8. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I have more junk calls on Att compare to T-mobile

9. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

What will they think of next? A three digit security code on the back of my Visa card? Such lame security concepts. So uncrypto. Wow.

10. brownpaw macrumors regular

Oh lord please. I get 2-6 calls a day for insurance scams.

11. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm not sure why people get so upset about scam calls. I have a contact list. When a phone call comes in, I look at the name. If it comes through as a number I don't recognize, I immediately kick it over to voice mail. If it's important, the person will leave a message and I'll get back to them. If not, I don't worry about it.

12. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I don’t see Apple trying anything to prevent scam calls

13. dguisinger macrumors 6502

Because you shouldn't ***** have to? Seriously, they are calling to sell you on a scam, its illegal. Why should I have to deal with it or filter my calls? Wouldn't it be nice to assume I should be able to answer a call from someone not on my contact list..... or like the newer spoofing scams, answer a call from someone that shows up as Apple support, and know its actually from Apple?

14. acgmph macrumors member

acgmph

Same here. My AT&T line is getting flooded with "Microsoft" and "IRS" calls whereas my TMo line is not as bad.

15. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

T-Mobile has been Caller ID'ing scam calls with "Scam Likely" for a while now. That feature has been a real blessing.

16. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

Great approach for personal calls, but many of us use our phones for work... and I get many calls a day from colleagues and customers that are not (or not yet) in my contacts. I can't just push customers to voicemail.

17. brownpaw macrumors regular

Yeah this is exactly what I do, but it’s still annoying to happen 6x a day, sometimes when I’m still in bed.

18. grayskies macrumors regular

-good point

-Spoofing is out of control

I received a called that was for a car dealership visit survey. I was surprised (interested) as to why the call was from a part of the country I no longer lived in. The person on the phone stated that they were not from the area code of the spoofed called. They stated the computer system used numbers matching the area code of the person being called.

According to this article, these are getting more sophisticated.

https://bgr.com/2019/01/07/iphone-scam-fake-apple-support-number/

I'm not a believer in more government and regulation but it is ridiculous that spoofing is legal.

19. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Didn't work for me. Not at all.

20. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

Shouldn't the normal caller id be made better so it can't be faked instead of having users needing a tool to check?

21. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

I hope this actually stops the call from even making my phone ring. The ones that let the call thru, but, mark it as "suspected spam" are worthless.
    I've been using Nomorobo for about a month now, and not one spam call has gotten thru. They show up as a missed call in my recent calls list, but that's it. I'm not sure why that app has such a low rating. I love it, so far.

22. MDF314159265 macrumors regular

MDF314159265

I have something like this through att, but seems like since I installed, calls increased........

23. BigMcGuire, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have received more spam calls in the last 4 months than I have in the last 3-4 years. And no, I didn't do anything that I know of to cause it.

Edit: Thanks for the info --- clicking power button twice declines the call in this case (below). Thank you!
    I have my phone on silent 24/7 but my Apple Watch buzzes (which I like) when I get a call. Annoys the **** out of me that the iPhone will not give me an option to decline the call if screen is locked. At least my Apple Watch lets me decline it instantly.

Recently, I've been getting blasted with the - "Your social security checks are at risk if you don't call us right away!" As a 33 year old, this is definitely a huge concern of mine (/sarcasm).

I have DND on 7pm-6am and only people on my contacts can call me. Considering turning it on full time - too bad I can't just do it for calls.

I pay Verizon enough $.... I really expect/hope they do something about this soon. And no, I'm not going to pay $9.99/mo for a service.

24. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

25. nutmac macrumors 68040

That's what STIR/SHAKEN does. It works similar to SSL/TLS certificate that HTTPS uses, to verify that the number is not spoofed.
    If Apple and Google make good implementation of STIR/SHAKEN, and is adopted by most US carriers, STIR/SHAKEN can make it a lot harder for telemarketers and scammers to come through.

I am hoping that Apple will:
    • Tag verified numbers.
    • Allow user to (1) ignore (all unverified calls will be sent to voicemail) or (2) change notification method to push notification banner style
    • Use machine learning to screen non-verified calls, similar to Google recent Call Screening feature.
    If STIR/SHAKEN is widely adopted, I suspect telemarketers and scammers will go back to using non-spoofed numbers like the good old days.