T-Mobile Launches 'Caller Verified' Tool to Protect Subscribers From Scammers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jephrey, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

jephrey macrumors regular

jephrey

I'm with ATT and I do the EXACT same thing. I have only accidentally answered a spam call once or twice in the last 5-10 years and they don't come in that often, only 2-3 a month.

But as it's been pointed out, this is tough if your phone is for work - especially if you're in customer service. I could push customers/suppliers for my work to voicemail but obviously not all jobs are the same.

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It can be rather annoying to be interrupted/disrupted by a pointless call that you otherwise wouldn't need to even worry about at all.

3. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Only issue is, AT&T simply refuses to make that work with a fully compatible unlocked phone because they claim it needs VoLTE which my Xperia XZ2 premium supports.

4. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I do like their “scam likely” in the caller ID when I get a call. So this feature definitely is great additional step.

5. radiologyman macrumors 6502

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why would you want to be disturbed or bothered at all for someome you don’t even know and didn’t want calling you? Think of it like people who come to your door. Would you want people ringing your doorbell 5 times a day 7 days a week?

7. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I think back to the old landline days, before caller ID, when your phone would ring and you'd have no idea who it was. So you'd generally have to answer it to find out. To me, THAT was inconvenient. Glancing at my iPhone screen and tapping the power button is a small inconvenience compared to that. But yeah, not having nuisance calls at all would be nice.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I share your experiences, I have received so many scam calls in the last year or so, and I don’t even release my phone number or subscribe to anyone that would be able to achieve it.

I really would like to see carriers and Apple collaborate together to combat this type of issue, and I don’t have a specific implementation how, but scam calls are so rampant and diverse today, they will do anything and use any method to obtain your information, rather it be a credit card, Social Security, even your mailing address.

I don’t want to see carriers turn this into a situation where they see profit, I want them to see this as a potential problem that has been growing as a trend, and what can they do to at least slow down these types of issues, even though they fully can never be stopped.

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I have had good success using a combination of WideProtect, Nomorobo, and T-Mobile’s auto blocking. I use WideProtect for neighbor attacks which are numbers that look like yours. It’s easy for me because I have a phone number from where I grew up but I haven’t lived there in over a decade now so I can just block all numbers from my area code that start with the first three digits of my phone number. Nomorobo does a decent job handling the rest, along with T-Mobile’s auto blocking, and if one slips through I can report it to Nomorobo. I just wish Apple’s system-level blocking extended to voicemail.

10. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Same here ATT line I get many , many more spam calls than the T-MOBILE line.

11. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Apple's implementation will be SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED.

12. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

13. gene731 macrumors member

Yes they are. I get a lot of calls from our area code plus the same 3 digit prefix that I have and they are all spoofed numbers. At first I answered them only to find out "Hello. this is Marriott hotels..." and I would call the number back only to get a normal person that had no clue what was going on so now I just hit decline. They won't leave a voice mail. We are with AT&T so I am also hoping that this spurs AT&T into action as well as Verizon
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Thanks for the info on AT&T. Will check that out.

14. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

I don’t have a lot of trust in any phone company, mobile or land line. I think that they allow (encourage?) scammers and then sell customers ‘protection’ that is effective for only a short time. Then the cycle repeats-annoying unwanted calls, new app or service, a month or 2 of improvement and then back to the beginning.

15. revmacian macrumors 6502

revmacian

Hopefully it will. One carrier sees a new feature become popular and then everyone wants to provide it as a marketing point.

16. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

no worries Verizon subscribers... a pay to use version of this service will be created shortly...

17. zaphon macrumors 6502

zaphon

I don't even answer my desktop phone at work unless I know who it is. I use voicemail to screen all my unknown calls. It's a choice, and you choose not to make it.

18. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Where I work people can and do get fired if a customer or vendor complains about not being able to reach someone in a timely manner. I am more in the technical support side but it’s not unusual for people that I have never spoken to before call me for help. I imagine a lot of sales and support people in a lot of businesses are in the same predicament.

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's not like people have different jobs and different ways that things need to get done in relation to those.

20. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

T-Mobile's Scam ID and Scam Block are what keep me tied to them. Their coverage is good around where I am, but they're not the fastest carrier. AT&T is 6-10x faster in my town. However, every time I've left T-Mobile, I come right back within days because AT&Ts "Call Protect" solution is absolute trash compared to T-Mobile's offering. Even with an app like RoboKiller or NoMoRobo, it just doesn't compare.

T-Mobile doesn't get all the calls, especially because I've seen a giant increase in the number of "neighbour spoofing" calls I've received over the last 3 months... but T-Mobile's solution has been by far the best.

I hope T-Mobile rolls STIR/SHAKEN out to other devices quickly, that Apple doesn't drag out support for this until a new iOS release, and that AT&T and Verizon get off their laurels and implement this.

Verizon charges $3 a month for their "Call Filter" service that does what AT&T Call Protect and T-Mobile's Scam Block/ID do for free - pathetic. Somehow I wouldn't put it past Verizon to charge for STIR/SHAKEN because they're greedy b*stards. I don't get why anybody would willingly bend over for Verizon's nickle and diming. Sure, there are some places they really are the best option or the only option... but the key phrase there is some places.

21. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

AT&T Call Protect is ok. Not perfect. Flags telemarketers and blocks known spam calls.It's the spoofed numbers that still get through.
    I'd like to see T-Mobile's solution added to AT&T Call Protect to filter out the obviously spoofed phone numbers.
    How the hell any carrier lets this happen is beyond me.

22. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

Unfortunately, it's not perfect as it's still letting spoofed calls get through. Just got one on my T-Mobile Note 9.

My AT&T XS Max using AT&Ts call protect catches all these calls.

23. Mick-Mac macrumors regular

This will just go on forever until scammers see any downside at all to their practices. For every million calls they make they get so many thousands of dollars - with effectively full impunity. They own mega-mansions and are living the dream. When caught, these parasites need to crushed in a manner that makes the rest of 'em think long and hard about what they're doing.. I don't see that happening though...

24. Pirate515 macrumors regular

With non-spoofed numbers, they would be easy to catch. One of the reasons why they spoof numbers is because it's very difficult if possible at all to identify who's behind the scheme. I'm sure that FTC/FCC does try to take action when someone who's on DNC registry files a report; however, when number reported cannot be traced back to legit person/company and these complaints come in droves, there's no one to go after legally and a different approach is needed.

Not to mention that several reasons behind an explosion in spoofed robocalls is because VoIP has become cheaper and more accessible and VoIP vendors actually allow to configure any number to be relayed to recipient to be displayed on CID. I am sure that up until a few years ago spoofing was reserved for small number of legitimate businesses/causes such as doctor's offices, call centers, law enforcement, etc., but VoIP vendors pretty much said "screw it" and allowed it to all their customers.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:19 AM ---
    Yes, I'd say catch a few of them, then torture them using methods used in Medieval times by Spanish Inquisition, then execute them like dogs, all while recording and showing it to the rest of the world. Only a fear of long and painful death will probably make these scumbags think twice before doing this.

25. genovelle, Jan 13, 2019 at 4:32 AM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 4:38 AM

genovelle macrumors 6502a

When I first switched to Verizon I got those messages, but they want you to pay extra for it. It felt like I was being milked so I declined the service. I just don’t answer calls on my main line I don’t have saved. My Line2 service doesn’t have that problem and I’ve had that number for some time longer, which I feel is telling.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 at 4:36 AM ---
    To decline from your phone double click the power button. The first click silences the ringer if on. The second declines the call.