T-Mobile Launches Cellular iPads with Free 200 MB Data

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the introduction of new iPad models today, T-Mobile USA is for the first time offering official support for cellular versions of the device. In a twist, T-Mobile is offering an entry-level data package with 200 MB free of charge. Higher-limit packages are available with 2.5 GB for $30 per month or 4.5 GB for $50 per month.

The announcement of T-Mobile iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina Display models comes just days after CEO John Legere hint at the prospect of the carrier adding iPads to its lineup.

Previously, T-Mobile customers had to put SIM cards from the carrier into cellular iPads that were carrier-unlocked. Now, T-Mobile customers will have the same low barriers of entry to the cellular iPads as Verizon, AT&T and Sprint customers.

The iPad Air will be available on November 1, while the iPad mini with Retina Display will be available later in November.

Article Link: T-Mobile Launches Cellular iPads with Free 200 MB Data

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Now that is pretty huge. Woah. That is really, really enticing for people who may use the web here and there a couple of times a month on their iPad.

Plus, since T-Mobile barely has LTE, that data will last even longer! :p

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
that sounds awesome.

too bad we bought my aunt an iPad already she could be fine with that limit...she has no internet at home though

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
That's pretty cool, actually. It entices people to buy the cellular version of the iPad knowing they're not locked into a monthly plan, but could do some email checking or light web surfing away from home at no extra charge, which over the life of the device might be worth the $130 (assuming that hasn't changed) upcharge for cellular.

Then, one would assume, they have the cellular version and can buy larger chunks of data month-to-month as needed when traveling, for example.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Wow this is huge. I wonder if this will get killed off quickly like the AT&T Unlimited data was?

I wasn't even considering an LTE iPad, but now..... I am.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I'm not sure how far 200 MB will go, but it would be nice to get it for free since I doubt I will use cellular that often.

AT&T charges $14.99 for 250MB which looks like a ripoff in comparison.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
As a T-Mobile user, it makes me happy to see them trying (and succeeding) at being competitive with the other carriers. This free plan is an example of that and I'm considering a cellular iPad now.

They're always stepping up their game. :)

neuropsychguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
This is tempting me to get the Mini with cellular instead of the iPad Air. I'm around WiFi much of the time and currently only typically use <300 MB per month on my phone with T-Mobile.

alia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2003
Orlando, FL
This is great! Also I think you can add the iPad as a line on your family plan and get unlimited for $30 (if it is the third line or more). One of the store reps implied to me that this would be possible after the official launch.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
Why can't I just add a line for $10 plus unlimited data $20 and put that sim in? This method works fine on all other devices....

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I was bummed that they bumped the price on the retina mini. This makes up for it. I've been considering jumping ship from AT&T and when I get a retina mini I'll have an idea how good Tmobile is before mving my three lines over.

It's an aggressive move by Tmobile. I'm intrigued but by the service they offer and what this might do to the competition. Will ATT/VZ try to match it?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
If this is $0 for 200mb every month with no need to have other devices then I am super sold on a lte model.

----------

This is brilliant!!! if this is true every month I get 200mb free cell data on my ipad I will move my att phones over there just because they are cool as sht for offering me free service on the ipad.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Apparently they've been doing this with their Mobile 4G connect plans for about a year, but I guess no one has talked about it much. It sounds like 200mb free are included with the SIMs and then you can buy extra if you need. It does say "up to two years worth of free data" so be looking at upgrading that iPad every 24 months...

Still, 24 months x $15 (for the cheapest AT&T plan) equals $360. So... It makes that $129 extra for LTE worth it if you really think that data has a $7.50 - $15/month VALUE behind it...