Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Even if you don't use the 200MB for data, its good to know Find Your iPhone would always be active (so long as the device is turned on). Thats a great feature to now have for free.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Even if you don't use the 200MB for data, its good to know Find Your iPhone would always be active (so long as the device is turned on). Thats a great feature to now have for free.

Good point. Didn't think of that. Unless the thief took the SIM card out.

bluebermuda

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
A better shade of free

Get iPad on Tmo plan.
Install Skype
Get telephone # on skype for $10/month.

Savings!

What?!?
It's no different then the Samsung Phablets!

I hate Microsoft and refuse to use Skype since they bought it.

Get a free Google voice number for your Google account. Install Hangouts.
Get unlimited free calling both inbound and outbound to the United States and Canada.

Better savings! Thank you Google. :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I've been using my Mini on T-Mobile since June. A few days ago, they sent me a message saying that I now have 200MB free per month. I have two accounts open so each has 200MB free.

All you have to do is have any iPad running on T-Mobile to get the 200MBs free, you don't need to have bought the iPad from them.

excommie

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
This plan from Tmobile is only free for existing customers.
I stopped by Tmobile store today, wanted to buy an iPad Air with the 'free' 200MB plan.
I was too that I have to purchase the 2.5GB plan in order to get the 200MB free.

So for customers that are not on the Tmobile plan, the $0 down iPad 16 is $26 per month + $30 for 2.5GB per month + 200MB free.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Are you able to tether a personal hotspot with the free 200MB data plan? If so I'd definitely buy a new iPad and downgrade my $50 ATT data plan to the $25 one

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Are you able to tether a personal hotspot with the free 200MB data plan? If so I'd definitely buy a new iPad and downgrade my $50 ATT data plan to the $25 one

For now you can but that is only because T-Mobile does not have a carrier file for the iPad yet so tethering is automatically enabled.

T-Mobile will officially support the iPad very soon so this will change just as it did with the iPhone.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
200MB for free sounds great, but my guess is they're doing this in hopes of most people going over that 200MB threshold so they can charge data overages.

tmobile doesn't charge data overages. they either throttle you or d/c your service.

200MB is better than nothing. Believe it or not some people just need the random web browsing here and there. Usually i just use wifi for my iPad but sometimes when im in a car and dont have time to hotspot my iPhone, this will come in handy.

----------

Get iPad on Tmo plan.
Install Skype
Get telephone # on skype for $10/month.

Savings!

What?!?
It's no different then the Samsung Phablets!

Vonage is free and unlimited US/Canada calling. Better than skype IMHO.

Lutris

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
2.5 gb for $30... not bad

It would be a better deal if they didn't have a pre-paid $30 5Gb plan, too. It's one of their 'web only' phone plans, also comes with 100 minutes talk time and unlimited texts.

The catch is that you must order the sim online specifically for their pre-paid plans, and you must call in to activate the sim. It's a small pain to get started and you can't get this through one of their stores (I tried). I'm not sure why they have a plan that they clearly don't want people to have — when I called to activate it, the rep on the phone claimed it couldn't be done, but after asking him to try anyway he got it working.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I hate Microsoft and refuse to use Skype since they bought it.

Get a free Google voice number for your Google account. Install Hangouts.
Get unlimited free calling both inbound and outbound to the United States and Canada.

Better savings! Thank you Google. :)

Yes, that's right, and Yahoo Messenger too. :)

I have not seen Skype change since M$ bought it, so I am not avoiding it, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.