Carrier T-Mobile Lied - Free Data is $10

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TeddyBeher, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TeddyBeher macrumors newbie

In their press release and in multiple places on the web T-Mobile clearly stated that they would offer the iPad Air for $0 down in 24 monthly installments and an option for 200mb of data per month for FREE. No matter if you were an existing customer or not.

When you go to their web site to make this purchase you are forced into a $10 monthly plan for that 200mb.

They say that if you have a voice plan with them then you will get that $10 credited back in your monthly bill.

This is NOTHING like what they said in their official release and comes across as a shady lie.

2. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

3. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

I have a plan with them...Good, looks like I can get free data

4. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Not surprised. I've heard a lot about T-Mobile hiding a lot of their contract stipulations within the fine prints. All carriers do, of course, but T-Mobile seems more notorious for it.

But, it seemed too good to be true, and you know how that works...

5. TeddyBeher, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013

TeddyBeher thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the release directly on the tmobile site and the section they specifically call out the free data is below as well.

Link: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251624&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1867397&highlight=

Quote:
    T-Mobile will offer iPad Air and iPad mini, both with Wi-Fi + Cellular, starting Nov. 1 and iPad mini with Retina display with Wi-Fi + Cellular later in November. When T-Mobile's iPad line-up hits online and participating retail stores, the company will offer the revolutionary tablets starting at $0 down for qualified customers. And every T-Mobile iPad user will receive 200 MB of free 4G LTE data every month for as long as they own their iPad, even if they aren't yet a T-Mobile customer.

6. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I do not see this on my checkout

7. SoloStyle macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the free data works by requiring the On Demand plan and then giving you a $10 credit. It's free... and I'm sure I read about the credit somewhere over the past few days.

I guess we'll have to wait until they open to find out what the real situation is. I'm more disappointed that they aren't offering the 64gb. :confused:

8. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Tmobile does not have contracts. What are you referring to? And what exactly are they notorious for?:confused:

9. TeddyBeher thread starter macrumors newbie

10. lyngo macrumors 6502

I believe it's postpaid plans only.

11. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Hopefully I can order a 64 in store.

12. seamusk macrumors member

It explicitly says in checkout that you only get the credit if you have a voice plan with T-Mobile. And yes it directly contradicts the press release.

13. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

14. lyngo macrumors 6502

Again, no need to panic yet people. I think it only applies to postpaid. I believe prepaid is free. I will let you know when Apple opens up.

15. mlpsponzischeme macrumors regular

Apple has Free next to the 200mb data on their website. That's incorrect. I will never use T-Mobile for cell service because of this. I don't like AT&T but they have never pulled this crap.

16. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Just activated my $.99 SIM card I got from the T-Mobile website last week in my own iPad 4. Quick and easy with no credit card just email, address and DOB. I now have my free 200 MB a month plan and get quick 15 MBS LTE Download speeds in the Sacramento, CA area.

17. Akack macrumors 6502a

Calm down people......it's still early and it may be a glitch on the website or the possibly the wrong plan was picked (ie picked postpaid instead of prepaid).

Remember with the iPhone 5S, 99.9 % of APPLE EMPLOYEES are saying they don't sell unlocked 5S yet but we know that's not the case.

18. lyngo macrumors 6502

How did you do it? How did you set it up?

19. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Turned off the iPad, replaced the SIM card with the data T-Mobile SIM. Turned on the iPad, turned off Wi-Fi, and it found the T-Mobile LTE Cell. I then went into settings, cellular data,view account. It then asked if I wanted to activate, put in my info and that was it! Very quick and easy.

I purchased the $.99 Broadband Sim with free shipping, don't know if the free SIMS will also work.

http://find.t-mobile.com/controller?N=1000639&Ntk=primary&Ntt=Sim+Cards&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

20. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

At the risk of sounding pedantic, they may not have term commitments, but they have contracts.

21. bigdaddyc188 macrumors member

So I went through the TMobile order process and was billed $10 month for an on demand data plan as seen below. I expressed how I am a verizon customer and that I can add an iPad on my contract for 10$ and would like to cancel. The CSR's said they already received an email that the 10$ will be taken off your bill as soon as your iPad is activated and this was an error in the ordering process.

Plan
    ON DEMAND
    $10.00/month

Here is the number I called - 1-800-672-5390

Please let me know if anyone gets different info.

22. cashville2400 macrumors member

cashville2400

This still is not that bad of a deal if someone was looking to pay a little at a time instead of the up front money.

23. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Your right. However, I think the contractual obligation is for the monthly installment of the cost of the iPad, not the plan. So you could sign up with them and leave whenever you want but you must pay for the monthly installments for the iPad every month or in full if you finance the device with them.

24. silver25u macrumors member

As of 8:40 Eastern T-Mobile still seems to be charging $10/mo for the "free" 200MB. For that same monthly price I can just get it via AT&T Next and tap into my 6GB of shared data. So... why go the T-Mobile route?

[​IMG]

25. bigdaddyc188 macrumors member

I called did you see my response above? Try giving them a call and see if you get the same answer as it would benefit all of us.