Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced its Black Friday deals, bringing back a popular trade-in offer that will allow customers to get a free or discounted iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus when trading in an older device.

When trading in an iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, or iPhone 7 Plus, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, or Note 5, customers can get a 32GB iPhone 7 for free. With the trade-in of the above listed phones, a 32GB iPhone 7 Plus costs $100, with the exception of a Galaxy S7 Edge or an iPhone 7 Plus trade-in, which drops the price to $0.

tmotradein-800x957.jpg

With older smartphones, including the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, Note 4, Galaxy S5, LG G4, LG, and V10, customers can get an iPhone 7 for $100 or an iPhone 7 Plus for $200. There's also an option to trade in the iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s, which drops the price on a new iPhone 7 to $350 and a new iPhone 7 Plus to $450. Customers can get more storage space at an additional fee.
"This year, the holidays are on us!" said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. "2016 has been a looong year. And now it's time for family and holidays and giving! So we're going to start giving like only the Un-carrier can. We're covering the cost of your holiday shopping and giving you the most popular superphones for the holidays. Call me crazy, but it feels good to give!"
T-Mobile is also offering customers $200 for every line that's switched to T-Mobile with an eligible device payment plan and a T-Mobile ONE service plan. Customers can receive up to $2,400 based on the number of lines switched to T-Mobile from another carrier, with T-Mobile providing the payment in the form of a prepaid MasterCard.

For everyone, including AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint customers, T-Mobile is offering a free hour of Wi-Fi on all Gogo-equipped domestic flights. The free Wi-Fi will be available from Tuesday, November 22 to Saturday, November 26.

Other T-Mobile deals:

[*]$70 off UE Boom 2 Wireless Speaker
[*]$30 off LG Tone Pro 760 Bluetooth headset
[*]$50 off mophie Powerstation Mini

T-Mobile's Black Friday deals will be available starting on November 24 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time and will run through Sunday, November 27 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

For tons more Black Friday deals and discounts, make sure to check out our Black Friday roundup. It lists deals from every store discounting Apple products, plus it has dozens of discounts on Apple-related software and accessories.

Article Link: T-Mobile Offers Free iPhone 7 or 7 Plus With Eligible Device Trade-In for Black Friday

Reactions: ViolentHamster

StayPuft

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
That's pretty awesome, actually. Might do that. Still annoyed by the headphone jack removal though.

Comment

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
So I can trade in my 6 and get a 7 Plus for $200? That's a pretty huge discount and puts the value of a 6 at effectively $569.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something here, that is an amazing offer. Are there no monthly payments on the device after that point?

Comment

Rod410

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2016
There's always a catch. It's no way they are going to give me the new 7plus for my 6s plus and $100. Where is the fine print

T-Mobile today announced its Black Friday deals, bringing back a popular trade-in offer that will allow customers to get a free or discounted iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus when trading in an older device.

When trading in an iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, or iPhone 7 Plus, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, or Note 5, customers can get a 32GB iPhone 7 for free. With the trade-in of the above listed phones, a 32GB iPhone 7 Plus costs $100, with the exception of a Galaxy S7 Edge or an iPhone 7 Plus trade-in, which drops the price to $0.

tmotradein-800x957.jpg

With older smartphones, including the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, Note 4, Galaxy S5, LG G4, LG, and V10, customers can get an iPhone 7 for $100 or an iPhone 7 Plus for $200. There's also an option to trade in the iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s, which drops the price on a new iPhone 7 to $350 and a new iPhone 7 Plus to $450. Customers can get more storage space at an additional fee.T-Mobile is also offering customers $200 for every line that's switched to T-Mobile with an eligible device payment plan and a T-Mobile ONE service plan. Customers can receive up to $2,400 based on the number of lines switched to T-Mobile from another carrier, with T-Mobile providing the payment in the form of a prepaid MasterCard.

For everyone, including AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint customers, T-Mobile is offering a free hour of Wi-Fi on all Gogo-equipped domestic flights. The free Wi-Fi will be available from Tuesday, November 22 to Saturday, November 26.

Other T-Mobile deals:

[*]$70 off UE Boom 2 Wireless Speaker
[*]$30 off LG Tone Pro 760 Bluetooth headset
[*]$50 off mophie Powerstation Mini

T-Mobile's Black Friday deals will be available starting on November 24 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time and will run through Sunday, November 27 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.

For tons more Black Friday deals and discounts, make sure to check out our Black Friday roundup. It lists deals from every store discounting Apple products, plus it has dozens of discounts on Apple-related software and accessories.

Article Link: T-Mobile Offers Free iPhone 7 or 7 Plus With Eligible Device Trade-In for Black Friday

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
The required plan is what's gunna nail you. Free phone, expensive plan. Locked in for 2 years.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Even still, the iPhone 7 is Free if trading in a 6s?

Eh, you'd be in better shape if you sold your 6s and bought the 7 outright unless you're sure you want to stick with T-Mobile for two years, which is what you have to do to get the 32 GB 7 phones at the quoted prices. Remember, they're not handing you a 7 for free or at a discounted price and getting nothing in return from you. They're applying bill credits to your bill for a period of 24 months that ends up meaning you got the phone either free or discounted. If you leave T-Mobile before those 24 months are up, you owe the remaining balance on your so-called "free" phone.

Would you be paying more out of pocket for the 7 if you sold your 6s and bought the 7 outright? Yes...probably $250 to $300 depending on how much you sold your 6s for. However, you won't be locked to a particular carrier and you have more freedom to choose the plan you want -- not just the plans that you must stay on because you got the "free" or discounted iPhone 7.

For all Legere's talk about being better than the other guys, T-Mobile's doing the same thing the other guys do to try to lock in their revenue stream. Legere is good at spinning things to make it sound like T-Mo is, first and foremost, a champion for the customer; but they're a business just like AT&T and Verizon and they're in the game to make themselves money. If they don't make money, they cease to be in business.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrNikeFresh808
Comment

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
Warning: T-Mobile screws up all the time on these trade-in deals. Be prepared to do everything right and then have to constantly call them for several months to fix the mistakes their craptacular CSRs make. I've had to do that for two upgrade cycles in a row and I will never do it again. I don't care if John Legere promises to hand-deliver the phone himself in a pink tutu. I am not putting up with their crap again.

Comment

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
It's a two year commitment. Nothing new here. Pure propaganda.
Maybe it's propaganda but I went from a 64 GB iPhone 6 (with battery issues and no warranty) to a 128 GB iPhone 7 for $140 when they ran the similar promo in September [that one was better because the iPhone 6 upgraded for "free"]. That's a lot less money than it would have cost had I sold my phone. Yes, I'm "locked in" for 2 years but I wasn't planning on leaving T-Mobile (and won't until another carrier with similar or better coverage, speed, and features can offer me a better deal ($23 per month per line after taxes and fees for unlimited talk and text and 2.5 GB [currently 4GB as a bonus promo] of data per month).
[doublepost=1479841147][/doublepost]
Warning: T-Mobile screws up all the time on these trade-in deals. Be prepared to do everything right and then have to constantly call them for several months to fix the mistakes their craptacular CSRs make. I've had to do that for two upgrade cycles in a row and I will never do it again. I don't care if John Legere promises to hand-deliver the phone himself in a pink tutu. I am not putting up with their crap again.

My recent trade in went flawlessly. The trade in credits even kicked in faster than expected, which was a nice bonus. I know others have had issues (including you) but the majority of us have had no problems.

Reactions: Goatllama
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.