T-Mobile or AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jan 11, 2017.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

so I currently live in New Jersey and I have att. But the thing is with the price hike of data I can get T-Mobile with all my phone lines for much cheaper. I was just wondering if anyone made the switch from att and regrets it?

Does your speed and signal seem less?

I know back in the day t mobile never gave me good signal in my basement and other places too. Just wondering how they improved and speed.

2. Squirreladd macrumors member

Squirreladd

T-Mobile does lack in service still to this day. But they do make up for our in their unmatched wifi calling. At&t is the more reliable one still. If you or someone else on your plan frequent rural areas then at&t if you are always In metropolitan areas T-Mobile works just as well as at&t.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks.

I'm wondering if signal in metropolitan areas still penetrates basements as well

4. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Depends on if you have a band 12 capable device or not, but even that's not a guarantee. Just depends on the area.

5. HDFan, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

HDFan macrumors 6502

At home T-Mobile only gives me 2 bars 3G (although their coverage map says I should be getting LTE). In my half below ground garage there is no change in signal.

I was on AT&T's unlimited plan and finally ditched them for T-Mobile because they kept restricting services (no pairing, no wifi) and raising prices. Love T-Mobile.

The latest Consumer reports ratings from their website has Consumer Cellular (which uses the ATT&T network) at 89, T-Mobile at 76, Verizon at 72, Sprint and Verizon tied at 70. Data collected as of Summer 2016. A quick look at at City By City listing shows T-Mobile better than Verizon in a lot of cities. However Verizon is rated better than T-Mobile in most of the summary data categories (voice, text, web) other than data. Consumer Cellular is rated better than all of the 3 major carriers in all categories, which is a little puzzling since they use AT&T's network. As the ratings are somewhat confusing, I would recommend that you read them yourself.

I just completed a 7000 mile road trip through 14 states and had no troubles with T-Mobile until I hit Montana, where I didn't have any coverage at all. Well, actually my car didn't have coverage. It has just 3G on a separate T-Mobile account. I didn't check my phone so LTE coverage was likely there; my car just didn't see it. Their overseas capabilities are unmatched (unlimited 3G data, 20 cent a minute calls).

As you can read in various MacRumours forums T-Mobile leads the industry in innovation and pricing. The other carriers are forced to respond. I think Verizon now has a data cache, but it is only for one month rather than 12. And unlimited data is back for a cheaper price than the other carriers (when you can even get it) with T-Mobile One, albeit with the >~25 MB slowdown.

My monthly bill for my Simple Choice line is:

$50 for one line with 2 GB of data
    $10 upgrade to 3 GB of Data
    $5.83 for taxes and fees
    $65.83 total

$10 for iPad 5 GB of data

$75.83 total.

My current Data Stash is 16.89 GB.

If I went to T-Mobile one my charge would be

$75 for the phone - unlimited everything
    $10 for iPad 5 GB data (if I didn't want to use teathering). Unlimited data for iPad is $75.
    $85 Total

It all boils down to whether in the locations where you use cellular whether or not the carrier you choose works. T-Mobile offers a 30 day tryout. If their coverage doesn't meet your needs then you can "return your device for a full refund of service and device related costs".

6. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

In Atlanta my t mobile speeds usually are faster than ATT and I have them on a different phone. In big cities or urban/suburban areas t mobile seems to rock. I have four lines with unlimited everything for $120 and that to me is awesome.

7. ray737 macrumors regular

I switched from ATT grandfathered unlimited plan in September and now have T-Mobile One plan with 6 lines Unlimited everything, which includes my iPad for $160 plus taxes. I will be switching to the all in plan with taxes in Feb. I have not looked back. My TMO coverage has been pretty much the same as ATT. I live in NYC and travel to and from NJ. Also TMO rocks international using their roaming partners being able to to text and use apps on the phone in Europe and all over the world is priceless. Using your phone in Mexico or Canada is just the same as being in the USA. No extra charges. Data and text Internationally in Europe etc is at a 2G speed so it does take a while to send pics but adequate enough for using maps and apps on your phone.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Isn't the data for t mobile different I read you have to pay more for hd data for watching videos? I think att already has that.

9. 2macarena macrumors newbie

2macarena

I have been on prepaid T-Mobile for several years paying $99 for unlimited data. Worked great in all the metro areas (with maybe like 1% blackout spots) I lived in Chicago, LA and Boston and also in the far suburbs of Chicago literally in the middle of nowhere and it always got signal just fine. Then there were some places along California coast where it did not get signal but none of the providers worked there I am sure.

My friend had to switch to Verizon because At&t did not get signal where he lived (not sure about T-Mobile). So I definitely would not consider At&t. But I would Verizon.

Overall, my experience was very good with T-Mobile and data worked always very fast true LTE. The only thing on a prepaid plan they do not keep records of the numbers you call and I needed that so I am looking to switch to a different plan either with T-Mobile or Verizon prepaid.

10. ray737 macrumors regular

HD Data you can pay $15 more monthly for that which I honestly do not find necessary. Watching videos on my iPhone 7 Plus which I rarely do you can't tell the difference between DVD vs HD in my opinion. TMO streams in DVD quality which is included with your regular TMO One plan.

11. its Dale, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

its Dale macrumors 6502

For me, browsing speed is slower on Tmobile, but not too noticeable (Instagram videos are super slow and buffer, but thats the only thing that does that). Tmobile is also weak in crowded areas such as disneyland/basketball (nba) games. The trick there is to turn off LTE and the phone will be faster when the tower is crowded. I feel like i've had more cell service with tmobile over ATT, but thats just the places i frequent. However, Tmobile customer service is awesome. I had ATT since 2009 and switched a couple of months back (October 2016). Here are the plans I had/have

Att: 700 Shared Minutes with rollover/ free mobile to mobile/unlimited text (5 Lines total)
    2 iPhone 6's (paid upgrade price $199/$399
    2 iPhones 6 Plus' (paid upgrade price ($299)
    1 iPhone 6S (paid upgrade price $299)

4 lines had Unlimited Data and 1 line had 5GB

Total bill average with my work discount was $310

TMobile: TMobile One, unlimited everything (6 lines total ** 2 of those are free)
    2 unlocked iPhone 7's (paid in full prior to joining tmobile)
    3 iPhone 7's purchased through TMobile's Trade in + $100/$200 down payment (bought during black friday's promotion of free iPhone 7's
    1 Samsung Tab E tablet (Free tablet + Free data line through pre-black friday deal)

Total Cost per month with my discount is $153.33

480p (DVD) streaming on data (HD on wifi) is actually not bad at all, especially since the screen is so small anyway. I think they lowered it to $15 per month per line for HD streaming. I'm paying less than half the amount and getting so much more. its definitely worth that savings. I also signed up for TMobile's new tax and fee's included plan, which should bump my monthly to $127.50 per month with my discount.

12. 2macarena macrumors newbie

2macarena

" Tmobile is also weak in crowded areas such as disneyland/basketball (nba) games. The trick there is to turn off LTE and the phone will be faster when the tower is crowded. I feel like i've had more cell service with tmobile over ATT, but thats just the places i frequent. "

True had the same experience with them. Slows down big time.

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

thats so strange to me.

The HD quality is an issue with screens having more pixels and future possible OLEd we will all want HD video on your plus iphones..

ATT already offers that as part of their data. hmm.

14. its Dale macrumors 6502

Yeah ATT offers it already, but with a price. Tmobile basically gives you an option to add it and its still cheaper than what ATT would be. They do that to reduce the amount of data it needs to use

That must be what the $20 iPhone Plan charge is for each iPhone line, and that doesnt include the data you gotta pay for

15. hydro94530 macrumors member

hydro94530

Quick question as I was browsing T-Mobile's site and thinking of switching. When I look at their plans, all they talk about is data. Can I assume that all their plans simply come with unlimited talk and text and that's why it's not mentioned outright when shopping plans?

16. its Dale macrumors 6502

Yes, They only offer Tmobile "One". Its unlimited talk/text/data. Throttled after 28GB each month, but its "unlimited"

17. hydro94530 macrumors member

hydro94530

Wow and for $75 that is super tempting. I'm currently paying $100 with ATT for 450 minutes, unlimited text and then the grandfathered unlimited data plan. In march my bill goes up to $105 I guess because of the increase and I'm getting reeeeeaally tired of ATT's crap.

Hmmm, I'm super close to switching. And I also read that it's $75 even, that includes all fees and taxes so $75 is what I would see on my bill. Is that true and is that forever, or is that like a first year price and then it goes up?

18. its Dale macrumors 6502

its forever until you change your plan. they pride themselves on not changing your plan without your consent. its actually $70 straight up if you use autopay (automatically deducts payment from a credit card or debit card each month). Trust me i've been there and was finally fed up with ATT. They messed with our unlimited plans too many times and was always such a hassle to fix everything each time

19. ray737 macrumors regular

It's actually $70 with all taxes included if you set up autopay. They give you a $5 discount with autopay.

20. hydro94530 macrumors member

hydro94530

Thanks to both of you for confirming and I didn't know about the $5 off for auto pay so that's great. I think I'm sold!

21. MacknTosh macrumors member

Do you get any extras with these plans?? Just wondering as I'm in the UK, and for £20 p/m get unlimited minutes and texts (throughout Europe) and 16GB of 4G data (data is for UK only, but can be used for tethering). Granted, I paid for my phone separately, but the phone plans seem so expensive in the US from what I'm reading above.

22. ray737 macrumors regular

TMO gives you unlimited talk text and data in the USA Canada and Mexico. Internationally you also get unlimited texts and data but at 2G speeds. Phone calls are .20/min calling back and accepting phone calls international. When I am in Europe I just use FaceTime audio, what's app, Vonage or google hangouts to make phone calls using data.

23. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

The only way to really know if it will work well for you is to test it. You can use the "walmart" 5GB/100 minutes plan for $30 to test. Granted there is no roaming on that but if you need to depend on roaming .. well, there's your answer.

24. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Att told me I can move to a friends plan as an added line and bring over my unlimited but I'm scared that somehow they won't carry it over because it's legacy and they no longer offer it. Hmm

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im very happy with my switch from AT&T to T mobile for over a year now.
    Coverage, speeds and price is great. But it all depends on your local area and places you frequent the most. Not every place in the US is the same so individual results may vary.