T-Mobile questions!

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Look at the coverage maps for highways in the Northeast. It's basically all EDGE or GPRS. What's the point of unlimited data, if I can't even stream Pandora in the car. I have to use my AT&T or VZW devices to do that.

Their "Nationwide 4G" commercials are the biggest lies in the industry.
i have 4G complete coverage from GWB to Cecil county drag way in Maryland. There is a quater mile stretch on the New Jersey turnpike that was Edge but my pandora was unaffected.

From the New Jersey turnpike through the Pennsylvania turnpike to the king of purssia exit complete 4G.

The online maps need to be updated.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
You get what you pay for. TMobile is cheap for a reason. They cater to a lower class crowd and have the crappy network to back it up. Maybe their users don't care but the rest of us are on AT&T and VZW for a reason.
They wanted their CUSTOMERS, SPECTRUM, and that's it.

Not the crappy network.

They have even more dropped calls than at&t.

In Atlanta that is, I know because I have them.. Wish I never left sprint

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
They wanted their CUSTOMERS, SPECTRUM, and that's it.

Not the crappy network.

They have even more dropped calls than at&t.

In Atlanta that is, I know because I have them.. Wish I never left sprint
Crappy network? Are u talking about the wired part of the network ?

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
T-mobile's AWS network is pretty good in cities. In the twin cities area and up to St. Cloud their AWS coverage is good. Their 1900 Mhz PCS coverage on the other hand is shoddy. Matters are made worse because T-mobile refuses to publish coverage maps for their 1900 Mhz PCS network. So when people move from AT&T or Verizon without the AWS bands, their experience is very bad. The experience of those whose phone has only PCS (older iPhone 5 and before) compared to those who have dual bands (including 1700/2100 AWS) is very different. I have been with T-mobile for almost a decade now, and I have enjoyed great AWS coverage. The best thing T-mobile offers is their Wi-Fi calling. I expect them to add this to the iPhone 5 or the next version. Wi-Fi calling allows phone calls from overseas when in Wi-Fi areas.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
T-mobile's AWS network is pretty good in cities. In the twin cities area and up to St. Cloud their AWS coverage is good. Their 1900 Mhz PCS coverage on the other hand is shoddy. Matters are made worse because T-mobile refuses to publish coverage maps for their 1900 Mhz PCS network. So when people move from AT&T or Verizon without the AWS bands, their experience is very bad. The experience of those whose phone has only PCS (older iPhone 5 and before) compared to those who have dual bands (including 1700/2100 AWS) is very different. I have been with T-mobile for almost a decade now, and I have enjoyed great AWS coverage. The best thing T-mobile offers is their Wi-Fi calling. I expect them to add this to the iPhone 5 or the next version. Wi-Fi calling allows phone calls from overseas when in Wi-Fi areas.
I'm in Atlanta, but their coverage just stinks here.

Go indoors the phone call is dropped.

Didn't do that with sprint and definitely not with Verizon, but it did do it with AT&T.

I'M CONVINCED that GSM while now globally available had inferior coverage to CDMA because both GSM networks have the exact same problem

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Loosing more credibility...

AT&T didn't risk anything. Just a few billion dollars, but they have lots of free cash. It was made clear that they were buying TMo for the AWS spectrum they hold, so they could deploy LTE in both 700 and AWS to load balance their network (like VZW will be doing in the near future). They were going to dismantle TMo's HSPA off AWS and deploy LTE right after it went through.

Glad it didn't go through. At&t pretty much has more LTE than TMo has HSPA these days. Tmo is too busy picking up the lower class and the scraps that couldn't get service from VZW and AT&T anyways.

And yet T-Mobile is rolling out LTE (with LTE Release 10 equipment) that will kick AT&T's a$$.

AutoUnion39

macrumors 601
Jun 21, 2010
And yet T-Mobile is rolling out LTE (with LTE Release 10 equipment) that will kick AT&T's a$$.
Please explain to me what the point of Rel. 10 equipment is when they don't have enough spectrum to run 10x10. NYC is launching at 5x5.

Rel. 10 equipment doesn't help anyone because NO DEVICES any of the things that Rel. 10 brings to us. VZW and AT&T have gone on record to say they will start deploying LTE-A by year end. Where will TMobile be? late to the party as usual.

last to 3G, last to LTE. What else can we expect from T-Mobile besides EDGE coverage everywhere?

----------

I'M CONVINCED that GSM while now globally available had inferior coverage to CDMA because both GSM networks have the exact same problem
No, it's because CDMA performs better in low signal situations (such as indoors)

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Please explain to me what the point of Rel. 10 equipment is when they don't have enough spectrum to run 10x10. NYC is launching at 5x5.

Rel. 10 equipment doesn't help anyone because NO DEVICES any of the things that Rel. 10 brings to us. VZW and AT&T have gone on record to say they will start deploying LTE-A by year end. Where will TMobile be? late to the party as usual.

last to 3G, last to LTE. What else can we expect from T-Mobile besides EDGE coverage everywhere?

----------

No, it's because CDMA performs better in low signal situations (such as indoors)
Release 10 equipment has more capacity and data flows through it more efficiently than Release 8 equipment. Yes you do need a new radio to support the more advanced features (carrier aggregation for example), but the current radios in smartphones can still support the efficiency of Release 10. You wouldn't know this, but.....

4G LTE
4G HSPA+ 42
4G HSPA+ 21
3G....

.....All kick everyone's a$$.

Why hate on T-Mobile when it's just a company to provide users service...

Oh and by the way, if you really hate T-Mobile that much, switch to a different carrier. It's not hard and T-Mobile isn't forcing you to stay.

Oh and by the way: http://www.tmonews.com/2012/10/what-will-a-t-mobile-metropcs-merger-look-like-on-a-spectrum-map/

And that's just MetroPCS's spectrum ;)

DcGamer05

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Danbury CT
If VZW and AT&T are so bad in Denver, why did T-Mobile not win 04/13 Rootmetrics comparison? In fact, VZW won for the best overall network and AT&T came in second. If TMo is so superior, why are they not #1?

http://www.rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/denver/denver-april-2013/

Dude grow up it's a cell phone provider. It just so happens that Sprint works good in my area. Besides these companies have hordes of cash and they can pay any dumb blogger to publish any article saying their network is the best. The truth is is no one carrier is 100% where you go and the fact that you do this is an apple discussion forum is pathetic go outside do something besides shove useless fact down our throats because you want to stick up for two corporations that don't give two ***** about you. your fanboyism. Anyone can bring up a news article saying that their carrier is the best . "Rolls eyes "

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013

I advise you to check out this $30 prepaid plan before deciding on the other family plans

You get what you pay for. TMobile is cheap for a reason. They cater to a lower class crowd and have the crappy network to back it up. Maybe their users don't care but the rest of us are on AT&T and VZW for a reason.
Well then I must be of the "lower class" :rolleyes:

Perfect 4G coverage and zero dropped calls in the last 3 months with T-Mobile

Last edited:

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Tmobile is lighting up LTE in areas in Seattle and Tacoma already even though its not scheduled to launch till end of June and the speeds are pretty decent( this is 10x10 spectrum as Seattle is a huge city)

Attachments

Yeezus

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
T-mobile isn't scheduled to get 4G until next month.

Until then you do have the more than sufficient HSPA+ network and if you get good service T-mobile is the best company out there
Really? I have never heard of this information before. Well anyways, my current speeds are running like a charm, so more the merrier. On average I get about 25 download Mbps and 11 upload Mbps.

True, T-Mobile is without a doubt the best company for the value, but only if the service works.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I have had T-mobile since about 2006 and I have visited a couple of places.

The amount of coverage they have really does depend on where you are.

They are the #2 network here in Atlanta with AT&T a close 3rd. Coverage is excellent. AT&T actually probably has a larger footprint here in Atlanta, but their data speeds are slower and you get more failed calls/dropped calls due to the amount of people on AT&T's network.

I would avoid Sprint in Atlanta.

When you leave big cities it is more of a crap shoot. 9 times out of 10, AT&T will have better coverage because they have been the defacto UTMS/GSM provider in the USA for over a decade. If you operate a regional network with UMTS towers then AT&T is who you made roaming agreements with.

Having said that, there are areas where I have gotten T-mobile coverage and my Verizon buddies had no signal...but that has only happened in one place where we were surrounded by mountains (Mineral Basin at Snowbird).

Long story short, T-mobile is very much a national carrier with national coverage. Like everyone (except Verizon, perhaps), they have weak areas of their network. Check the coverage map and test drive a phone for a week in your area before you commit.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
I've been with T-Mobile on/off since 2007(went to ATT for 2 years for the iPhone 3G) and never had a problem. I live in central NJ, but I drive up to NYC and down to Philly on a regular basis and never lose 4G.

I've only seen EDGE or hit a dead zone a couple times since 2007. In the past two years there's only one place I get no signal and it's inside my mother's house in Barnaget(I can get EDGE outside), but she does kinda live in the pine barrens.

Granted, no LTE where I live as of yet. While I wouldn't mind faster speeds, what I'm getting now is working perfectly fine for real life use.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Ozark, Missouri
I live in Springfield, MO. My wife has AT&T and I have T-Mobile.

AT&T's coverage here is excellent - 3G/4G pretty much everywhere, with the exception of really rural areas and then it drops to EDGE. They just deployed LTE in Springfield and the surrounding areas. However, LTE speeds are pretty pathetic here - no more than 5Mbps down, typically.

T-Mobile's coverage in Springfield is very good - 4G HSPA+ all over the place. The speeds are VERY fast compared to AT&T - 13-17Mbps down from my testing. Signal is very good throughout the area, including in rural areas. However, the data coverage outside of the Springfield metro area is pathetic - along US-65 (a major highway between Springfield and Branson), as soon as I get outside of the Springfield metro area, data drops to GPRS and remains there until I get to Taney County (Branson), where it pops up to EDGE, while AT&T is 3G/4G the entire way.

So, the moral of the story is, it really depends on where you are at. If you're going to be in mostly populated areas, T-Mobile is excellent. If you're going to be traveling, they're probably not going to be very good.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I have had T-mobile since about 2006 and I have visited a couple of places.

The amount of coverage they have really does depend on where you are.

They are the #2 network here in Atlanta with AT&T a close 3rd. Coverage is excellent. AT&T actually probably has a larger footprint here in Atlanta, but their data speeds are slower and you get more failed calls/dropped calls due to the amount of people on AT&T's network.

I would avoid Sprint in Atlanta.
Say what?

In Atlanta (where I live) T-mobile is the WORST!

Dropped calls occur more than on metro PCS, there's data connections that just randomly drop for no reason, distorted calls, number 2 my @$$! Lol

Avoid sprint? Yeah if you're not in a 4G coverage area as 3g is slower than T-mobile's edge!

Had them for 8 years and they were far from bad, had good signal and could actually talk indoors unlike T-mobile.

First of course is Verizon
Second is sprint.
Third is AT&T
fourth is MetroPCS
fifth is T-mobile

Out of all the carriers, T-Mobile is the only one with no 4G in Atlanta and the smallest 4G coverage nationwide

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
In Atlanta Sprint is easily the worst. I visit there quite often and even in Midtown Sprint 3G is below 1mbps. I have a couple of family members who went to Sprint when the 4S came out because the service waa cheap and they can barely use anything requiring data when we're in atlanta. I jokingly tell them they can use mobile hotspot from my iphone for data. I would actually say AT&T and Tmobile are the best in Atlanta with Verizon a close 3rd. I wouldn't even consider using Sprint down there. I'm talking more of inside the Atlanta city proper though, I don't spend much time in the suburbs.

I would say Sprint also has the smallest 4G network since their WiMAX and LTE networks are both smaller and in many cases slower than Tmobiles HSPA+42 network.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
In Atlanta Sprint is easily the worst. I visit there quite often and even in Midtown Sprint 3G is below 1mbps. I have a couple of family members who went to Sprint when the 4S came out because the service waa cheap and they can barely use anything requiring data when we're in atlanta. I jokingly tell them they can use mobile hotspot from my iphone for data. I would actually say AT&T and Tmobile are the best in Atlanta with Verizon a close 3rd. I wouldn't even consider using Sprint down there. I'm talking more of inside the Atlanta city proper though, I don't spend much time in the suburbs.

I would say Sprint also has the smallest 4G network since their WiMAX and LTE networks are both smaller and in many cases slower than Tmobiles HSPA+42 network.
T-mobile doesn't have 4G in Atlanta. All they have is HSPA, Sprint does have 4g,tmobile only in 7 markets.

And yes their data is slow on 3g,but they don't get dropped calls like tmobile.

And how do you figure Verizon is third? Based on what?

Great drops, most reliable network, works everywhere when tmobile and att can't say the same

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
T-mobile doesn't have 4G in Atlanta. All they have is HSPA, Sprint does have 4g,tmobile only in 7 markets.

And yes their data is slow on 3g,but they don't get dropped calls like tmobile.

And how do you figure Verizon is third? Based on what?

Great drops, most reliable network, works everywhere when tmobile and att can't say the same
Your 1000% wrong as usual