T-mobile tethering block

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yum114, Dec 9, 2013.

1. yum114 macrumors member

I currently have the unlimited plan(which includes I think 2.5GB of hotspot)
    Well, a little past the hotspot amount, it got shut off, it now tells me I don't have the service or need to purchase more. I've tried everything to circumvent, even used flasharmyknife, and when I use an app on the phone that has a user agent switcher, and I change it to firefox, even browsing on the phone will give me that message. Anyone know how to bypass this message??? and continue to use the hotspot feature?(my data is unlimited)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant bypass it without jailbreaking.
    Its put there by your carrier so you cannot bypass it and so you can give them more money if you want to use more data.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Only way is either:

A. Changing the carrier files (which can't be done unless you SSH into your phone or make a custom file)

B. Jailbreak your iPhone as mentioned above.

Both options not plausible at this time. So, what to do? Nothing, but bite your tongue.

4. yum114 thread starter macrumors member

This is driving me insane. I am trying to browse the web(on my phone) using an agent switcher app just so that I can get the desktop version of websites(like video sites so that I don't have the view the low quality versions) and my phone brings me to the hotspot tmobile page because it THINKS I'm tethering smh. Tried calling tmobile and they told me to contact the app developer smh

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, not much you can do.
    Don't most sites offer the full website version besides the mobile version?

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

When you switch your user agent to a desktop OS (whether it be windows of Mac), it will consider that as tethering and not mobile data usage

It's one of the methods that carriers use to track whether you're tethering or not. The APN is another way. There are more out there but no one really knows how they do it

7. yum114 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's foolishness to me since... IM NOT TETHERING?!

I think it's foolish to sell someone an iphone. Not a flip phone, but an iphone which one of its biggest selling points are the apps and things you can do with it, only to tell me I can't use these apps because they think I'm using an actual computer or completely seperate device smh. And yes, most sites do have desktop versions, but not all.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Bring it to a T-Mobile store, show them your problem, and see what they can do to help.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing.
    What do you expect them to do change their whole system for his app?
    Its a specific app that's causing this issue and there's millions of apps on the appstore. They're not going to make their network compatible with every devs app.
    The way it usually works is the other way around.

10. yum114 thread starter macrumors member

That's just it, it's not one app. It's ANY app that will make a website believe that it's a desktop browser. I know they wouldn't change their system. I still think it's stupid for a phone to believe I'm tethering because I'm using firefox( on an iphone) and the tethering is turned OFF. they need to find better ways to detect tethering. Simple as that! It may sound good to you, that is until you want to use an app that they believe is tethering. Smh.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesn't sound good to me but that's the way Tmobile has their system setup unfortunately to be triggered by that.
    I don't think that happens with every carrier.

12. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

It's not tmobiles fault that you're switching user agents.

You switching the user agents to Firefox basically is saying that you're no longer using a mobile browser.

I can't go in the bank with a gun and stick them up and say I want your money. Then get caught and say I'm using a toy gun, this isn't real.

I can't put on a police uniform and write people tickets and not expect some repercussion because I'm actually not a police officer.

C'mon

13. yum114 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, sprint doesn't. Not sure about the other carriers.

----------

Umm... Are you high?

14. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Um no.

Sprint will get you the same results.

T-mobile offers 2.5gb of tethering, which you are essentially doing on the phone by switching the UA. You've used the 2.5 and want more because you can't be without a desktop UA.

Get a different phone plan. Problem solved.