Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

T-Mobile to Sell iPhone in Germany: November 1st?

ciaw525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
T-Mobile Gets Exclusive Rights For iPhone In Germany -Report

Jul 3, 2007 13:19:00 (ET)

BERLIN (Dow Jones)--T-Mobile International AG has obtained the exclusive rights to distribute the iPhone in Germany, beating out rival Vodafone Group PLC's (VOD) German unit D2, according to an advance report of Wednesday's edition of daily Rheinische Post.

T-Mobile is the wireless telephone operator of German telecommunications company Deutsche Telekom AG (DT). The iPhone cellphone was recently launched in the U.S. from Apple Inc. (AAPL), which will later this year also be introduced in Europe.

The phone will go on sale in November, and will retail for EUR450 a piece, according to the newspaper, citing sources within the company. T-Mobile declined to comment.

Newspaper Web site: http://www.rp-online.de

-Berlin Bureau, Dow Jones Newswires; 49-30-2888-410

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

July 03, 2007 13:19 ET (17:19 GMT)

==================================================

Anybody know if T-Mobile is a 3G network in Germany?

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
From DowJones newswire. No real details announced, other than:

- T-Mobile beat out Vodafone.
- Exclusive rights to the sell the phone. (Like AT&T has in US)
- On sale in November.
- Pricing: 450 Euro
- T-Mobile and Apple both have declined any further comments.

Anybody know if T-Mobile is a 3G network in Germany?

What? T-Mobile is in Germany???

Comment

ciaw525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
What? T-Mobile is in Germany???

From Wikipedia:

In Germany, its home market, T-Mobile is the largest mobile phone operator with 32 million subscribers (as of September 2005), closely followed by its primary rival, Vodafone. The highly profitable GSM network in Germany is scheduled to be supplemented and ultimately replaced by UMTS, for which T-Mobile spent €8.2 billion in August 2000 to acquire one of the six licenses for Germany.

Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I wonder if it's just Germany or Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Croatia, etc.

T-Mobile's not cheap but they have pretty good coverage and lots of wifi.

Comment

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
I'm moving to the UK in a few weeks, and frankly, I don't care who the iPhone's going with, as long as it comes out relatively soon.

Ahh welcome to the UK, you have made a mistake to move to this **** hole :D! No I'm just messing, what part of The UK are you moving to? This will affect your iPhone ifs its locked to a certain network such as Orange, where I live Orange sucks balls for signal and quality but in other parts of the UK they are apparently great.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
T-Mobile to Sell iPhone in Germany: November 1st?

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Washington Post translates a Rheinische Post article which reveals that the iPhone will be sold through T-Mobile in Germany and launch on November 1st, 2007.

The cost of the phone for the German market is said to be 450 euros (US $612). There has been no confirmation of rumors the European version of the iPhone may incorporate 3G technology.

Apple launched the iPhone in the U.S. last week and had planned a European launch in Q4 2007 and Asia in 2008.

Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Wie der Vertrieb in den übrigen europäischen Ländern laufen soll, ist nicht klar.

Translation: How the distribution in other European countries will be handled, is unclear.

I'd think that Apple would want to minimize the number of carriers as well as have a European wide tariff.

That would be a huge breakthrough right now to know that simply crossing an imaginary line doesn't mean you're going to spend a fortune on calls.

It'll be interesting to see what the terms are and if contracts are forced on the customer.

Comment

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Irony

T-Mobile can't sell it here in the US for at least 5yrs, but Deutche Telekom can sell it in Germany. Nice.

Comment

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Sheesh I remember when the dollar was worth more than the Euro...if they update that iPhone to 3G without first doing it in the US I think a lot of people will be pissed...

What is going on with that Qualcomm chip ban thing anyway? I thought that was upheld so a lot of phone companies can't make 3G phones right now :confused:

Comment

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
That is excellent news! The status of 3G will be very interesting...

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Hopefully the will choose another carrier in the UK, one that actually has decent coverage. T-Mobile are not even on my list of reasonably good companies. Come on 3G and a good carrier.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Regardless of the network, if the price point is accurate then it's good news. Nice to see it's not ridiculously over priced verses the US.

Still a horribly expensive phone, but we've already established that a long time ago ;) :p

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.