Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
T-Mobile is good if you use Family Plan. For example, $25 per line for 4 lines or $22 per line for 5 lines.

T-Mobile_Simple_Choice_Plans-630x206.jpg

Line 1: $50 -------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 2: +$30 --------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 3: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 4: +$10---------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)
Line 5: + $10--------------(unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G speed, unlimited 2G speed)

$10 upgrade for extra 2GB at 4G speed
$20 upgrade for unlimited at 4G speed

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Cool, I guess. I'll still sell my old phones on the secondary market.

My understanding of this deal is that you would be giving your phone to T-mobile. You wouldn't be able to sell it. Overall this is not a deal for me. I will be sticking with AT&T. Their plan is already more than I currently pay for 2 iPhone 4S. I only get 2gb of 3G data per phone, but we have never gone above 200 mb in a normal month and only up to about 600-800 mb each twice (once on vacation, once during blackouts from hurricane Sandy). When the new phones come out that will be upgraded to LTE data and new free fancy iPod touches for the kids.

Ziich

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
Just what do you think AT&T's "been doing lately?"

I've been enjoying fast trouble free unlimited LTE. I haven't had a rate increase in years. I upgrade at every new iPhone release at their lowest upgrade price. That's an excellent way to go. Thanks AT&T!

att and verizon have increased their plan prices over the years and for those of us who are not grandfathered in will have to pay a lot more for lte access that is not unlimited than you would when compared to tmobile or even sprint

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
While I guess this is convenient, you could sell an iPhone 4 for $120 in 5 minutes on craigslist. And they probably won't even give $120 for the 4.

iPhone 4S even more since it will work with any carrier.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Happy with ATT

I like what T-Mobile is doing. If I wasn't so completely satisfied with AT&T I might try T-Mobile. I am eager to see how they do with this different approach they're taking.

Nice to see someone else happy with ATT. I don't think their LTE is good at all, but I like their "fake 4G" well enough and their customer service is great - because they never give me a reason to call them. When I was with Verizon I was on the phone with those aholes almost every week and they never got my bill right.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Tmobile is being extremely aggressive with their new plans and the iPhone launch. Hopefully they gain a significant number of subscribers this year and AT&T and Verizon also choose to adopt the no subsidy approach. It's the way it should be so that we can go ahead and get the US off this archaic "subsidy" model.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
T-Mobile isn't playing around, it's coming at all carriers pretty hard. That metro merger sure did wonders for their aggressiveness. Now, I wonder how many would actually be willing to pay their ETF to leave their current subscriber.

Does T-Mobile offer the same services and coverage for iPhone users that AT&T does? 4G/LTE data speeds? Visual voicemail? MMS? International roaming/data options?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
T-Mobile isn't playing around, it's coming at all carriers pretty hard. That metro merger sure did wonders for their aggressiveness. Now, I wonder how many would actually be willing to pay their ETF to leave their current subscriber.

I did :)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Don't get tricked, I won't be getting one.

A lot of people seeing no contract and reduced price as a bargain, but remember those family plans are still over 100 bucks a month.

Your wallet is still getting spanked, but not just not as hard.

And yes, AT&T is no better.

If you have 4 lines, family plan is $100.

maattp

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Would they let me trade in my ATT iPhone 5?

T-Mobile service in my area is superb, so I am considering just moving over. The cancellation fee on ATT is expensive as heck though.

Just sell it on eBay, Kijiji, or Craigslist. You'll get an easy $500 out of it.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Does T-Mobile offer the same services and coverage for iPhone users that AT&T does? 4G/LTE data speeds? Visual voicemail? MMS? International roaming/data options?

What? Did you not pay attention? Of course T-Mobile offers all that. And seriously, MMS? MMS has been around since at least a decade before there even was an iPhone. Who wouldn't offer MMS these days?

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Don't get tricked, I won't be getting one.

A lot of people seeing no contract and reduced price as a bargain, but remember those family plans are still over 100 bucks a month.

Your wallet is still getting spanked, but not just not as hard.

And yes, AT&T is no better.

The family plan on T-Mobile for unlimited voice, texting, and data starts at $80 a month.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Maybe I missed this mentioned, but does T-Mobile's network allow simultaneous voice and data? This is one main reason, among many, that Verizon will never get my business.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Maybe I missed this mentioned, but does T-Mobile's network allow simultaneous voice and data? This is one main reason, among many, that Verizon will never get my business.

That is a good question. According to this you can: http://www.imore.com/att-vs-verizon-vs-t-mobile-vs-sprint-which-iphone-5-carrier-should-you-choose

"Then there's the matter of simultaneous voice and data -- AT&T and T-Mobile can do it over HSPA data, but Sprint and Verizon need Wi-Fi."

And regarding the trade-in, for those of use with Sprint iPhone 4S the trade-in is a pretty good deal. The Sprint version of the iPhone 4S is worth less then the other carrier versions due to Sprint refusing to unlock Sprint phones. And yes, I could jailbreak and unlock the phone before selling it which is legal as I bought the phone in 2011.

Last edited:

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
It would really hurt the other companies if tmobile offered to pay ETFs. Think that would entice more users to jump ship.

This would be awesome. I think they would draw a ton of customers if they paid ETFs.

I'm paying my Verizon ETF as it is already. It's $260, and I have an iPhone 4 and 4S. Figure I can get at least $200 for the 4 and $300 for the 4S on CL. I'm going to purchase one iPhone 5 outright from T-Mobile and finance the other on a 2-line family plan. I'll save $40 a month over Verizon as soon as I pay off that second phone, which I'll do way before the 24 months.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I was going to make the switch, but guess what T-mobile, just found out my tenants downstairs have the worst reception, when ATT is 5 bars with LTE. Sucks so much.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Would they let me trade in my ATT iPhone 5?

T-Mobile service in my area is superb, so I am considering just moving over. The cancellation fee on ATT is expensive as heck though.

Uh... sell... your iPhone 5 (for about $500-700 depending on capacity), then pay your remaining ETF (AT&T ETF drops by $10 for every month of your contract served), use the rest for your down payment on new T-Mobile iPhone 5.

That's what I am doing.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Wait til iPhone users get a dose of their 90% EDGE only network. They'll be screaming and pulling their hair out and think they've been transported back to 2007 and the first iPhone.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
i'm considering trying t-mobile out. i'm off contract with att, so leaving won't be an issue.
right now they are even offering 500MB of data for a hotspot in the $70 plan.

i'm still unclear though: if i bought my iphone5 unlocked(not full price, but actually unlocked from apple), will it be as good as an t-moble 5, after the software update? or would there be disadvantages?

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
i'm considering trying t-mobile out. i'm off contract with att, so leaving won't be an issue.
right now they are even offering 500MB of data for a hotspot in the $70 plan.

i'm still unclear though: if i bought my iphone5 unlocked(not full price, but actually unlocked from apple), will it be as good as an t-moble 5, after the software update? or would there be disadvantages?

The unlocked phone you get from Apple will be the same exact phone you will get from T-Mobile. Just make sure it's the newest model that supports the T-Mobile AWS bands. Apple should begin selling those in stores Friday, and it will be the new standard unlocked GSM iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.