T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jdonofrio, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Jdonofrio macrumors newbie

About five months ago I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. The salesman convinced me to go with the pre-paid plan, which I was skeptical of, of course. Turns out it was the best technology related move I've ever made. I live in Brooklyn. The service is soooo much better than Verizon. I actually can get calls when I'm indoors. I get 20/10 dl/ul speeds regularly. Best of all, because I do the month to month, there are no taxes or gvt fees. I know the plans changed last month, but I'm grandfathered in. I get unlimited 4G, talk and text and 3GB of 4G Hotspot for $70 a month. I even found a website where I get 4% off buying $100 refill cards and they apply it automatically for me. If you buy the cards from T-Mobile they charge you sales tax! So I end up paying about $67 a month. The same plan paying monthly is over $90 with taxes and fees.
    Just wanted to share. I am in no way affiliated or pad by T-Mobile.

All that said, I'm traveling to Washington State next week and I'm a little anxious about what kind of service I'll get there.

Cheers.

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Prepaid is the ****. I agree, best move I've made although I use AT&T. T-Mobile just doesn't cut it in my area

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Best service is directly related to geography and location.

Those fortunate enough to live in an area serviced by more than one carrier have the luxury of choice.

I personally prefer VZW and have been with them since my Motorola brick phone.

Prepaid is a good option for some people. But to me it is sort of like renting a home month to month. You may have the option to move when you want but the landlord has the option of changing the terms every month as well.

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Good point, but the only change that AT&T has made since I've been on the GoPhone plan has been for the better. Went from 2GB no hotspot to 2.5GB with hotspot for the same price. Also, with plans becoming more and more competitive it is less likely the companies would want to shaft the people that can switch carriers the easiest.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Even though ops question wasn't directly answered, Brooklyn is a big place and saying tmobile is better than VZW without some sort of qualification is hogwash.

I've gone from blazing fast downloads to 3G in a few blocks although indoors is rarely an issue.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Where do you get your refill cards? You left the best part out. :D

7. BeeJee macrumors 6502

You can get 100 dollar refill cards for T-Mobile on eBay for 85

8. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Yeah prepaid is the way to go!!

I will never go back to contract, but I'm on cricket (AT&T)

9. serega macrumors regular

Generally Verizon and ATT are better in Seattle Area, but some people like T mobile. What I see is that T Mobile quit receiving signal the way sooner when you driving away from cities then big 2. Just my 2 Cents.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I am SOOOOO tempted to switch to T-Mobile if only to try them out...thinking I can pop a T-Mobile SIM in my iPhone 5c. My families Verizon bill is like $450+ a month and while Verizon LTE is fast and almost everywhere T-Mobile offers great things like global roaming and where they don't have LTE they have HSPA+ which kicks that pants off Verizons 3G. I think if I lived in a busy metro area like the city (I live in Upstate NY) I would be fine, I know a ton of kids from the city with T-Mobile that are happy...still T-Mobile has HSPA+ and LTE in my neighborhood and I do plan on visiting some friends in Manhattan and The Bronx so I might give it a shot...shame I just re-upped for a 2 year contract :O

11. dishfan82 macrumors member

T-mobile

You can sign up on their website now to get a free 7 day trial on the network. How it works is they will send you an iPhone 5s and you test the network for 7 days. After the trial is up you must return the phone to a T-mobile store in order to avoid being billed for the phone. I agree Verizon's 3g Is sluggish when you need to use it. I should say they will notify you when the test drive is available.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah similar story here too. I switched to T-mobile last year from Verizon and not only got a much cheaper bill, but unlimited data and better service, especially in my apartment where Verizon is trash.

13. dishfan82 macrumors member

I'm thinking about Jumping ship next year or sooner because our bill is super expensive.

14. Despacio macrumors member

Does anyone know if Tmobile will offer iPhone 6 at launch? What's their history of this?

15. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm thinking about going to either AT&T or T-Mobile. Right now I have Verizon and I pay about $130/month for Unlimited Calls/Unlimited Texts/4GB data. If I switched to AT&T I would get about 450 minutes/Unlimited Texts/5GB Data for $94 w/my 17% student discount. If I choose T-Mobile I get Unlimited Everything for about $100.. Not sure which one is the better deal but I can tell you that Verizon is too much for me right now.

16. scaredpoet, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There's not a long history: T-Mobile's only been offering the iPhone since mid-cycle on the iPhone 5. But, given that the 7-day test promotion is being run using iPhones, and the fact that rarely (never?) has a US carrier stopped offering iPhones after starting to, there's a really good chance that T-Mobile will offer the next models.

And even if not, carrier unlocked iPhones should still work.

17. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Go Sprint, unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile and unlimited texts for $~90 a month.

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Let's be honest here. The All-In and My Way plans start in the high range of your price quote here. Assuming Sprint still offers them. If you take a family plan it will be over $100.

Framily is the plan now getting the most attention. And while free mobile to mobile and unlimited text is part of the base Framily plan, if you get Framily, unlimited data is an addon - an extra $20 or so.

You also have to work a little harder to get Framily. Sure you can start your own, but you don't get the max discounts until you start adding people to that plan up to the 10 people limit. If you get on someone else's Framily then you've got to find someone with that plan.

The one bright spot is that Sprint FINALLY did away with that damn Premium Data $10 fee! For new plans anyway…I'm still paying it on two iPhones/month.

The older plans, such as my Everything Data 1500 Family, aren't even offered any more.

19. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I agree prepaid is the way to go. I've always had a contract up until several months ago. I rarely use my phone as a phone so I couldn't justify spending $100+ a month for a couple of phones that are connected to wifi 95% of the time and rarely make calls. :cool:

20. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

They'll have iPhone 6 on launch day.

They had iPhone 5S for preorder before launch day and iPad Air on launch day.

21. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Sprint is horrible. Can't do it.

22. ValerieDurden, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

They're great actually. Have you personally used Sprint in the last year? if not you have no knowledge of how good the network has become.

23. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

I really think this is the truth.

24. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Maybe if you don't leave Philly. But they are pretty horrible compared to the other options. I just converted someone from Sprint to AT&T GoPhone and they couldn't thank me enough. Does Sprint even have any cheap prepaid plans? They also will never unlock your phone, which is completely bogus.

25. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Not in some areas.

Oh, I can stream internet radio most of the time, but in the two places where I work and live LTE has yet to get above two bars. And even though my iPhone 5 is 1900mhz capable only, I am not buried somewhere deep inside a building.

LTE is roughly the speed of 3G (about 1.5mbps down) and about 0.5mbps up on average. That's here in the Phoenix, Arizona market where s4gru.com says we're about 47% complete. And that's that they got started in December 2012 and that AZ has a temperate winter climate. No digging in frozen ground or dealing with snow and ice.

Did I mention that Sprint launched the Phoenix market when it hit 40% of coverage? Yeah…launched! :(

----------

Sprint has Framily. Sprint also has Boost, Virgin Mobile and Ting. Those are prepaid MVNOs that use the Sprint network.

I agree with you about unlocking.