T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Apr 23, 2018.

1. max2 macrumors 68030

Does their cellular/data service still suck or no?

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

There clearly isn't some sort of a generic answer to something like that. When it comes to something like that much of it really depends on where you generally use the service, which is certainly different for different people at different times.

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

After 20 years with Sprint, I switched to T-Moble because of their 65+, 2 phones for $60 a month plan. I’ve not regretted it in the Houston area. I’m still waiting for them to offer their 2 iPhones for the price of 1 for existing subscribers.

4. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Service depends on where you live or work. Check cells towers nearby. Ads are a problem though from T-Mobile

5. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

It varies by location but I have pretty good experience with them in terms of service and customer support. T-Mobile does have 30-days risk free trial so I would suggest to give it a try before actually switching over.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

7. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I've had it just over a year and it's been awesome. Network isn't (in most, but not all) cases as good as ATT, but great customer service and 3 lines unlimited for $80/month after I ran the two lines for 100$ promo and then somehow stumbled upon another promo at the same time that let me port in a third number and get 20% off my bill at the same time! Definitely keep an eye out for their promotions.

I also had an iPhone 7 not working with VoIP and they gave me a new one with very few questions asked almost a year later. Kind of blew my mind a little. Reminds me of my experiences with apple in the early to mid 2000's.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

T-Mobile service is very good in most mid-sized cities or larger. In more rural areas, they seem to still get decent phone coverage by roaming on other networks. The one thing to look into is "Domestic Data Roaming." You have a hard limit of (i think) 200mb of roaming data within the US (international data, however, is unlimited). The minute you exceed the limit you are cut off from any and all data with no warning.

9. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I can't get it at my house, only wi fi calling so I have to go with $$$ Verizon

10. JackieInCo Suspended

I really love T-Mobiles service in my area. I started with T-Mobile back when they first announced support for the iPhone 3GS and have been with them ever since.

T-Mobile and Sprint have been the only two carriers to be able to get me reliable service while I am home. Verizon and AT&T have not been able to do that in all these years of iPhones.

I did port out 1 of my 3 T-Mobile lines to AT&T last month just to have a line open on their network in case I don't like what happens with T-Mobile. Even though I don't get AT&T service good enough to use at home, it's excellent everywhere else with a few holes just like any carrier will have. I have to use WiFi calling on AT&T while at home but even that fails half the time due to weak signals.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The better question is how is the cell service in a specific area ?

All carriers have areas where they don't work as well.

I haven't had T-Mobile for 1 1/2 years (i.e. not recent) but when I did, I only got good coverage towards the southern portions of NH. I ended up switching to AT&T since they had much better coverage where I use my phone.

12. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you.

I keep reading that AT&T and Verizon phone call quality is much better than T-Mobile.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

You mean voice quality? I’ve had T-Mobile and voices sound good to me or are you speaking of phone reception? I’ve got one bar rapt my noise, but no issues with callsmthat I know of, and I had the same when I was with Sprint.

14. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes.

What are you on now please?

15. Huntn, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

T- Mobile. I just bought two iPhone XRs, and will be activating them today. Will try to remember to post how the voice quality sounds.

Btw, setting up these new phones were incredibly easy. Set your old phone next to the new one, and initial settings are transferred, then via WiFi, you can transfer all data via cloud backup, if I am understanding what just happened correctly. No more fingerprint ID, now it’s facial recognition to unlock the phone.

My concern is when I’m kidnapped and the bad guys will just hold the phone up to my face to steal all of my secrets! ;)

16. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Voice quality sounds good to me on the new iPhone. :)

18. STEVEMS2305 macrumors newbie

STEVEMS2305

I am on T-Mobile in NYC. I have had no problems at all, not an issue in buildings either. Their customer service and plans are excellent for me.

19. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks everyone!

Still not sure if I am keeping T-Mobile and staying with AT&T or not.

20. jeyf macrumors 6502a

it so totally really depends where you live or work etc. My house has really bad signal strength but walk a block north and all is good.
    The cell phone provider's maps are too low resolution.

good or bad i would not rush to find a new mobile provider as 5G is coming to an urban area where you live work, if 5g is not already there. This will change your local signal strength values as all the providers update their infrastructure. If you are in a less populated area a 2G flip phone may your best tool

21. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

22. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

I noticed this.

It seems like one block speed and coverage is great the next not so much.

Where AT&T it is more stable from block to block.