T-Rex, Vampire, Crazy Face, Zombie, Giraffe, and Pie Among Emoji Included in New Unicode 10 Standard

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Unicode Consortium today released version 10.0.0 of the Unicode Standard, introducing 56 new emoji characters ranging from crazy face and face with monocle to t-rex, pie, and pretzel.

Emoji site Emojipedia has details on all of the new emoji that are included in the update, and has shared a sample image featuring visual representations of the new additions.

[​IMG]

Some of the new emoji include star-struck, face with raised eyebrow (which Emojipedia says is also known as the "Colbert" face), exploding head, face vomiting, shushing face, face with hand over mouth, love you gesture, palms up together, brain, orange heart, scarf, gloves, coat, socks, zebra, giraffe, hedgehog, sauropod, cricket, coconut, broccoli, dumpling, fortune cookie, pie, cup with straw, and chopsticks.

New child, adult, and older adult emojis in a range of skin tones are included, as are options for person in steamy room, bearded person, mage, fairy, vampire, merperson, elf, genie, person climbing, person in lotus position, and more, with all of those emoji available in multiple skin tones and genders. While there are 56 distinct new emoji characters, gender/skin tone modifiers and flags bring that total to 239.

These new emoji will not be available for Apple products until Apple adds support for Unicode 10, and the actual artwork for each emoji on iOS and Mac devices will be up to Apple to provide.

It typically takes Apple several months to implement support for new emoji, so the Unicode 10 options could be implemented in the fall of 2017. Emoji in Unicode 9, which was released in June of 2016, were added to iOS in iOS 10.2 in October.

Article Link: T-Rex, Vampire, Crazy Face, Zombie, Giraffe, and Pie Among Emoji Included in New Unicode 10 Standard

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

Fourth row down on the right: That's a baby? I thought it was a lady cradling her.. um.. mammaries. Took me a second, but maybe my mind is just not right.

3. Babu Life macrumors member

Babu Life

With more emojis and fidget spinners what has this world come too

4. Asarien macrumors regular

The continuing evolution of the dumbing down of the population.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

For some reason I read this as "The Unicorn Consortium." And you know what? That doesn't seem completely wrong.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

A world of stupidity!

We first began on this trend with abbreviations and l33t speak and then social media combined with those into emoji's. Soon the only caps you can buy are those with animal ears and snouts and backups that resemble hides of yet another animal or resembling something out of Pokemon!

Huh last decade 'they' did warn us the future is for the kids!

7. Kajover macrumors member

Finally I can convince everybody to update their OS :rolleyes:- emojis are apparently the only driving power for system updates

8. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502

Internet Enzyme

I mean, you have to admit that there is some innate appeal in fidget spinners. They are kinda fun to spin, and i think if you deny that then you're denying your own human nature.

9. Jsameds Suspended

You say that as if these are the worst things to happen in the last month.

Cheer up and get a grip.

10. omihek macrumors regular

omihek

I used to not like emoji. About a month ago I started using them to lighten up my text conversations with my wife and I've come to like them a lot. Most of these look like fun new additions.

11. Will.O.Bie macrumors regular

Will.O.Bie

Getting dumber by the minute? Pretty soon the alphabet letters will be obsolete and will be replaced by pure emojis. This is the world I'm leaving my kids into...

Imagine going into a job interview with a resume with:

Knows how to type :eek:
    Will contribute to the company o_O
    Slacker extraordinaire :D:cool:;)

I may be showing my age but this is just insane:mad::rolleyes:

12. Act3 macrumors 68000

why did it take until year 2017 of human history for the fidget craze to hit, especially in the world we live in now with all our electronics?

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

At what point do we have too many emoji tho?

14. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

I'm just waiting for the fidget spinner emoji now

15. Act3 macrumors 68000

when it slows down the device

16. Sill macrumors 6502a

One of the greatest things about iPhones was watching friends who switched from Android adapt to iOS. A response from one of the Android users to a paragraph of well written text was usually "no" or "K". They just didn't want to type.

Then my friends would get an iPhone. Never mind the blue text bubble giving them away, I could tell they'd switched just because their responses were now paragraphs full of information and intent. No more "kthx" or "amirite?" And very few people used emojis (or "emoticons" as I've always known them).

After the recent iOS update I saw emoji suggestions added to Messages. Every few words I type I see an emoji appear up in the suggestion bar. I see cars, dumbbells, tacos, all sorts of junk. I think using all those suggestions would make my usually succinctly worded texts look like meandering hieroglyphics written by a stoned grand vizier. I also sympathize with the folks who are still on iOS9.x, with the tiny emojis that are barely readable.

17. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

The world has always been here.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Osty macrumors 6502a

19. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

Someone gets it.

Try them, people. You might like them.

20. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I will finally be able to express my love of curling in emoji.

21. ThaRuler macrumors regular

ThaRuler

Ok, now this is cutting edge. If only they could get rid of the function keys and instead put an OLED emoji bar on like, say, a MacBook Pro. Now that would be some next level s***!

22. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Third row and last emoji: looks like a mother breast feeding.

23. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

What!!
    Did someone say Vampire???

Man, I wish Unicode 10 was around back in the 90's during my industrial/goth University years!!:cool:

Kids today are so spoiled.

"Undead, undead, undead ".
    :D
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    Maybe because it is!

24. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Couldnt clearly tell because it also looked like she had arm cast.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat