Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flytrap21

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
Fourth row down on the right: That's a baby? I thought it was a lady cradling her.. um.. mammaries. Took me a second, but maybe my mind is just not right.
Yeah, we are approaching a point of diminishing returns, where the level of detail that needs to be built into an emoji for it retain legibility is too fine for it to be recognisable using the font sizes that are typical on platforms that mix emoji with written text.

Reactions: CarlJ

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Dispensing with the usual comments about emoji and Apple... I'll just say that at this rate emojis will become too cumbersome to use. There are too many and I don't want to fiddle for minutes to find something. This will probably be like the dingbats fonts out there. Fun to look at and a fad for a time but only used when needed afterwards.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Correction.. There *will* be too many soon. Imagine a message with emoji's only... and its up to recipients to figure out what was said. We can already do with with the current crop, and without repeating any previously used.

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
You now, emoji reminds me of all those colorful 'classic' Mac OS icons from a distant past. Those were the days...

:cool:

St.John Smith

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2016
New York, NY
With more emojis and fidget spinners what has this world come too

So I suppose you never had a yoyo or a rubix cube?

Emojis add to a human being's ability to communicate emotion in succinct communications. Yes people can overuse or over-rely upon them and that is annoying but so is people thinking you are angry all the time.

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
What!!
Did someone say Vampire???

Man, I wish Unicode 10 was around back in the 90's during my industrial/goth University years!!:cool:

Kids today are so spoiled.

"Undead, undead, undead ".
:D
[doublepost=1498002847][/doublepost]

Maybe because it is!

the goth/industrial days are over but the good music still remains!!!!! :D

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Does anyone here that use emoji's actually find that it saves any time typing when you search and select vs typing or talking? Or are they just for fun and/or to convey emotion in order not to offend someone who may or may not take something out of context? I'll use them with my wife, but with anyone of my peers, employees, etc. it would seem too "high schoolish" I'm 31 so I'm not that old, just seems to me this is all over hyped and people could better spend their time actually talking on the phone instead of texting.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
[
Why no include the most common bird, the ROBIN and a LOBSTER?

QUOTE="MacRumors, post: 24716335, member: 3"]

The Unicode Consortium today released version 10.0.0 of the Unicode Standard, introducing 56 new emoji characters ranging from crazy face and face with monocle to t-rex, pie, and pretzel.

Emoji site Emojipedia has details on all of the new emoji that are included in the update, and has shared a sample image featuring visual representations of the new additions.

unicode10emoji-800x627.jpg

Some of the new emoji include star-struck, face with raised eyebrow (which Emojipedia says is also known as the "Colbert" face), exploding head, face vomiting, shushing face, face with hand over mouth, love you gesture, palms up together, brain, orange heart, scarf, gloves, coat, socks, zebra, giraffe, hedgehog, sauropod, cricket, coconut, broccoli, dumpling, fortune cookie, pie, cup with straw, and chopsticks.

New child, adult, and older adult emojis in a range of skin tones are included, as are options for person in steamy room, bearded person, mage, fairy, vampire, merperson, elf, genie, person climbing, person in lotus position, and more, with all of those emoji available in multiple skin tones and genders. While there are 56 distinct new emoji characters, gender/skin tone modifiers and flags bring that total to 239.

These new emoji will not be available for Apple products until Apple adds support for Unicode 10, and the actual artwork for each emoji on iOS and Mac devices will be up to Apple to provide.

It typically takes Apple several months to implement support for new emoji, so the Unicode 10 options could be implemented in the fall of 2017. Emoji in Unicode 9, which was released in June of 2016, were added to iOS in iOS 10.2 in October.

Article Link: T-Rex, Vampire, Crazy Face, Zombie, Giraffe, and Pie Among Emoji Included in New Unicode 10 Standard[/QUOTE]

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Apple means simplicity.
It would be nice if you can deactivate all superfluous emoticons in iOS preferences.
This simplifies the selection in the most elegant way.
I will never need e.g. broccoli as my feeling's expression.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.