Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Not to criticize, but you're kidding me, right? I've had this on my last 3 phones (Probably for the last 4 years). I'm sure this has been around for longer than that. Or I am I thinking of something else?

jazzlover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Yes, I am an idiot. I never used texting much cause it took so damn long.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
jazzlover said:
Yes, I am an idiot. I never used texting much cause it took so damn long.
No one's calling you an idiot. I'm just saying that either you haven't updated you phone in a while, or you didn't read the manual like 95% of the population.

jazzlover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
No, I didn't read the manual. I'm stobborn with things like that. I know I'm saving minutes now though.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
jazzlover said:
No, I didn't read the manual. I'm stobborn with things like that. I know I'm saving minutes now though.
Most people don't read those longwinded things. In the Unix world for when people can figure something out, others tell them to check the man pages by typing "man" followed by the program or command they want to learn about. They are told in this acronym though: RTFM. I always get a kick out of that. :p

jazzlover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
We are stubborn, humans I mean. My girlfriends nagged me for months about it cause i'd take so long to reply to her text.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
I used to be an ABC guy and texting pissed me off until a friend told me about T9. It took me about a week to get the ABC out of my system. Granted, I'm not the world's fastest texter (I use too much slang and often have to revert back to the ABC) but my texting speed has increased exponentially.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
T9 is nice, once you get the hang of it you can really text rather fast.

i still agree with the poster who said they text using a keyboard, that's still the best way by far ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
...T9?
Yeah, my phone sucks, and doesn't have it, but writing texts don't take that long.

I'm pretty quick with them. Yeah, it's not as fast as a qwerty keyboard, but it doesn't take all day.

and Text messages are $$. Who uses them SO MUCH that a few seconds on each one are important?

jazzlover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Not if your on the road like me. I can't always get to a computer.

L

Lau

katie ta achoo said:
Text messages are $$. Who uses them SO MUCH that a few seconds on each one are important?

This guy? :eek:

I think they're much more widely used in the UK than in the US. I don't know about the rest of Europe though.

jazzlover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I'm thinking about getting one of those cells with the flip open keyboard. That would make it super easy.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
The question is, can any of you guys text with t9 with the phone in your pocket or out of sight? :) It's a skill I have built up while being in class and ... eeek ... driving.

Edit: Also, t9 has been around for ages, I couldn't text without it, it's about 100x faster than waiting for the letters to switch.

jazzlover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Wow, that is some serious T9 skill. Do you play pocket pool at the same time. Just kiddin.:p

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
MrSugar said:
The question is, can any of you guys text with t9 with the phone in your pocket or out of sight? :) It's a skill I have built up while being in class and ... eeek ... driving.

Edit: Also, t9 has been around for ages, I couldn't text without it, it's about 100x faster than waiting for the letters to switch.

That drives me crazy; people who feel it necessary to text in class. I can't imagine my social life being so damned important that I couldn't be without my cell phone for a few hours. But then again, maybe I'm just old school.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Lau said:
This guy? :eek:

I think they're much more widely used in the UK than in the US. I don't know about the rest of Europe though.

WOAH! :eek:

and I feel bad when I spend $4 a month on it.. (that's about 40 txts for me)

jazzlover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
leftbank, your not gonna correct my spelling are you. Should I be using spell check.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i can not beleive this thread! are you americans that backwards!!!!!

i have been using t9 since my nokia 8210 which is like 5 and a bit years ago!!!!

do non of you text over there, i send like 400 a month on average! i get 1000 free though with my contract!

i am in shock!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.