Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DigiTimes reports that several Asian notebook manufacturers were taken by surprise by the unexpectedly low entry-level $499 price point for Apple's iPad, forcing them to reconsider how they will price upcoming tablet models.
The vendors originally planned to offer prices pegged at 20-30% lower than the Apple iPad, while they generally expected the device to cost as much as US$1,000. The US$499 entry-level price has caught vendors by surprise and means they will now need to adjust their price scales even lower to attract consumers, the sources pointed out.
The report notes that manufacturers are reluctant to undercut the iPad price and start a pricing war for fear of eliminating profit margins even before the industry can really take hold. The fears seem justified in light of plunging netbook prices, which have reduced profits in that segment to razor-thin margins even as unit sales have exploded.

Reports as long as ago as last August claimed that tablet manufacturers were holding off on new designs for their products until they could see what Apple's contribution to the market would be.

Article Link: Tablet Manufacturers Reevaluating Pricing Options in Light of iPad Announcement?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Sounds like tablet manufacturers need to read more forums. No one with common sense thought it would cost $1000

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
The vendors originally planned to offer prices pegged at 20-30% lower than the Apple iPad, while they generally expected the device to cost as much as US$1,000. The US$499 entry-level price has caught vendors by surprise and means they will now need to adjust their price scales even lower to attract consumers, the sources pointed out.
Must be pretty surprising, especially when $499 was hardly ever rumored.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^ You know, that is odd... I'm assuming Apple will be doing their usual, and they're getting some 100% profit margins or better across the line. So that intro iPad is costing Apple around $250, I would imagine. That sounds like a major miscalculation for these smaller Taiwanese companies that never had the 100% margins to begin with.

I'd like them to bring it... if they've got something credible as an alternative, I'd like to know what it is, even if it's only competitive with the high end of the Apple price list. The iPad goes up to $830, right? Now we can talk about an $800 tablet from Taiwan, but not if it has a plastic capactive screen and 8GB of SSD space.... If they can put 128GB, a glass multi-touch screen, and a comparable battery in a tablet weighing less than 2 lbs, and they market that in the $650-850 range, I think I would be willing to give them a listen.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Well... Gotta hand it to Apple to grab the market. I bought :p the $1K price point story, too.

On the other hand, it'll be interesting to see what the competition offers. Maybe grab a good deal on something that can multitask. And who else will be offering 3G access (or more) for $30-$40.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If they can make and sell a Netbook with a physical keyboard for $250 then they can make a net book with no keyboard for even less.

All they have to do is remove the keys and place the LCD where the keys were and save the cost of not only the keys but the hinged cover too.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
The irony is that the iPad will probably be made in some Asian sweatshop factory alongside other laptop manufacturers where the workers get a dollar a day and sacked for taking more than a single toilet break !!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If they can make and sell a Netbook with a physical keyboard for $250 then they can make a net book with no keyboard for even less.

All they have to do is remove the keys and place the LCD where the keys were and save the cost of not only the keys but the hinged cover too.

The real question here is will Microsoft deliver on a good touch interface.

And puhleezz. Don't link me to the vaporware courier or HP's smart-touch because the iPad interface knocks that to death.

djchuckc27

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I can't wait. Looks like my MBP is staying on my desk, while my iPad is used all over the house. No 3G iPad for me since I have an iPhone....

JoeDMD

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
NJ
The pixel Qi Screen

I'd like them to bring it... if they've got something credible as an alternative, I'd like to know what it is, even if it's only competitive with the high end of the Apple price list. The iPad goes up to $830, right? Now we can talk about an $800 tablet from Taiwan, but not if it has a plastic capactive screen and 8GB of SSD space.... If they can put 128GB, a glass multi-touch screen, and a comparable battery in a tablet weighing less than 2 lbs, and they market that in the $650-850 range, I think I would be willing to give them a listen.

If anyone has the pixel Qi screen, which can make text more readable and give you great battery life, it should be a serious competitor.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Ugh this is ridiculous.... it's not even on sale yet, how on earth has this re-invented the industry and all this BS? Didn't Microsoft demonstrate the various slate pc's just a few weeks ago, until these beasts and the iPad (sounds like a feminine product) are out and competing then we shall see which one re-invents the market.

Personally, i'd take the HP/Archos slates running Windows 7 and Media Centre

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

If I can get another decent Android tablet cheaper on the back of the ipad's pricing, I love the iPad! :)

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
The irony is that the iPad will probably be made in some Asian sweatshop factory alongside other laptop manufacturers where the workers get a dollar a day and sacked for taking more than a single toilet break !!

You don't buy products made in Asia?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
heh. i'm interested to see what the "new tablets" will be like. tablet PCs have been a flop, I guess they'll try and copy the iPad concept in their own not as good, not quite the same implementation just the same as others did for the iPhone.

I don't know henrystar... maybe you don't want anything else. maybe you don't even need anything else. :confused:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ugh this is ridiculous.... it's not even on sale yet, how on earth has this re-invented the industry and all this BS? Didn't Microsoft demonstrate the various slate pc's just a few weeks ago, until these beasts and the iPad (sounds like a feminine product) are out and competing then we shall see which one re-invents the market.

Personally, i'd take the HP/Archos slates running Windows 7 and Media Centre

Microsoft didn't "demonstrate" anything. They "showed" their "Slate".

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
why do you people who make comments about you not needing the iPad continue to roll in these topics? go into the iMac/Mac Pro/MacBook/iPod/iPhone topics.
Since when has wanting a device been a pre-requisite of having an opinion on it?

A lot of us are very interested in the tablet and Apple's success regardless of wanting the device personally. I think it's a great little thing, and how Apple will avoid another Newton-like scenario - I'm very interested in the whole situation.

If they take off they'll be much more worthwhile to everyone. It hasn't proven itself yet though!

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I wonder if Apple only highlighted a few apps/features already available onthe iPhone/touch, knowing the industry was waiting for the announcement. Hopefully we saw the 'light' version and only got a taste and as it gets closer to release we'll find out more useful features (like iTunes streaming/mobile appleTv).

Still trying to decide if I'll get one or not.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
I have a laptop. Why do I want anything else?

Any other products you'd like to point out that you don't need while you're at it? Medical equipment? High end video production equipment? Femine products? Diabetic cook books? Accessories for products you don't own? Your body and you children's books? Textbooks for fields you could care less about? Yachts? Fishing boats? Do any of those also not fall into your 'can't live without owning' category?

Just throwing some ideas out there for you in case you want to continue with that line of thought...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006

Maybe you don't understand things very well.

You might need to think more.

And, what MS did on stage before the Apple event was like some sad crap vendor pushing bad fruit before the fresh Apples rolled into town. If I wanted a tablet for mobile browsing and mild document creation, I wouldn't want the clunky, bloated, or fictional, stuff offered by some sweaty, bald, second stinger clinging to ill designed products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.