Taboo (FX Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think this is the highest quality FX series ever produced. It could be because Tom Hardy and Ridley Scott are involved. Actually it's an 8 part miniseries, dare I call it horror? Maybe... it's threatening. Outstanding foundation laid in the first episode. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. :D

[​IMG]

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Crap, I hope I didn't forget to set my DVR for this!

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Of course I didn't, so I set it to record the re-run for last night. This has been something both me and wife have been waiting for. Can't believe I forgot to set my DVR. :mad: Thankfully FX does replays in the middle of the night. :D

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Depending on your cable service, it's likely found on On Demand.

5. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

Still have to check this out. Looks very good.

6. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Annoying that there isn't even a release date for Germany for now. :mad:

At least Man in the High Castle S2 is on now. :D

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just watched the first episode and so far so good.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Finally watched the first episode. I agree with the previous comment. So far good. I am very interested if that is his full sister or half sister? If it was his full sister and they had a "thing" going. Oh my!

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Blistering! I could see that. One thing I did notice while watching it on FX, was the fact they actually said the "f-word" on the show. Not once but twice!

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, I noticed that too. They've been pushing it more and more in the recent year or two. Started out with some words like the "s-word" and some others, and then went to the "f-word" and "mf-word". Mostly it's FX although I think one or two other (non-premium) cable stations have done it as well (like AMC maybe).

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I read something that it was an 8 part miniseries, but your source says something about 3 seasons?

I might be wrong about this, but technically FX is a cable channel. My impression is they can do all of the R-rated stuff including language and nudity if they wanted to. They've had a couple of semi-nude shots on The Americans. My guess is that these days, the non-vulgar public broadcasting standards are hurting the likes of ABC, NBC, and CBS.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You are absolutely correct. They are technically a cable channel, it was just weird and caught us by surprise when it was said the first time and then again. Heck the nudity is nothing new. Did you happen to catch the show "Nip/Tuck"? They had flat out sex on that show! :eek:

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like it's not quite a miniseries, at least not as far as the creators/producers foresee it.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Episode 3- This is a dark series. Wondering if it's worth it.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's getting better but Tom Hardy needs to learn that mumbling does not equate to acting moody and sinister ....

Seriously, English is my first language and I still had to switch on subtitles at times when Hardy spoke.

It's feeling very much like a vanity project for Hardy, (given its written by his father Chip) and Ridley Scott's involvement is merely in name only.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's certainly that aspect to it. I'm liking it so far given that there's enough to the plot to keep it at least somewhat intriguing and the way it's all done (the atmosphere and all that) is fairly interesting as well. Given that this (first) season is only 8 episodes long, if I recall correctly, it seems like it would be worthwhile to go through a handful more episodes to see where this storyline goes.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    There is that aspect to it as well. Hopefully it evolves into something more than that essentially (it feels like it's on its way there, but I guess we'll have to see).

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I will continue watching. :)

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Of you who are watching, what do you think of this?

It's a quality production, but the story is so dark, and the leading man is so distant and seems almost like a villain, I'm ambivalent about his success, in fact none of the characters are likable, except maybe the villain Sir Stewart, head of The East India company. ;) I'm one episode behind.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I found episode 7 really quite laborious after the show finally getting better, but as we near the close of the series it took a step backwards and back to self indulgent.

It's clear absolutely nothing is going to be finalised with the series end episode, and with that in mind whilst I will watch the final episode of this series, I'm not sure I would return for series 2 ....

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

I haven't seen the most recent episode, but so far I've enjoyed the show. It's definitely dark, but quite stylistic and to me the acting seems to be quite good and the storyline seem to be fairly interesting and captivating. It has it's own style and take on things, and I think that can kind of make it quite good for some and not so good for others.

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree, admirably stylistic. Here is my problem, this like watching a football game between two teams I don't care for. I like Tom Hardy in both Inception and Fury Road. Here his portrayal is not likeable, which maybe is the intent, but I'm not really engaged, a major factor in my ability to enjoy a story like this.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Watched it a few days ago. Yep nicely wraps up many loose threads whilst leaving the door wide open for Season 2.