Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboard by Matias

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mward333, Jun 8, 2007.

1. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Has anybody received their Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboard, just released by Matias?

http://matias.ca/tactilepro2/index.php

Does it match the original Tactile Pro in excellence?

I know that several members of Macrumors loved their Tactile Pro, and I am wondering if anybody has already bought the long-awaited Tactile Pro 2.0.

Thanks.

2. Applenewb macrumors member

Well, I liked my Tactile pro 1 for about a year then it started falling apart from shoddy craftsmanship. I went through 6 sets of leg supports (which they kept sending free) and the whole casing was pretty much cracked which prevented the spacebar from working properly. Never dropped it.

I talked with a Matias rep (their customer service is outstanding) and they said they spent A LOT of time working out the problems with the 1.0 for the new version and its supposed to be much improved. So we'll see, I'm glad you reminded me I think I'll order the new one as well! (considering they also offered me 30% off for my trouble.)

3. aLoC macrumors 6502a

When I saw the black model I nearly sh*t myself. I have wanted a new black Mac keyboard forever. But of course on further reading they have made an ass-job of it. It's not the same as the white model, only black, it's got some "optimizer" rubbish. Well, forget it then.

Did they really think that the kind of person who would buy this kind of old-fashioned keyboard, would stand for any gimmicks?

4. murfle macrumors regular

I got my 2.0... I have never laid hands on the original so I can't compare. Its a mac layout, whereas the black one is a windows layout. The black comes with the 'optimizer' button where the caps lock should be, but you can reprogram it to be a 'normal' keyboard layout, as well you can program the white one to be the optimizer layout. (I'm sticking to without)

The keys tactile response is AWESOME. But that's the only good thing I have to say...

The packaging was the box it comes in, wrapped in cardboard. no styrofoam, no bubble wrap... nothing. The power button on the keyboard had popped off, and the casing was popped apart (although it snapped back into place no problem).

My biggest beef, the pre-order page had pictures of caps lock keys having an LED built in... I got an email saying they removed the optimize key from the mac version and offered a choice between the white and black model. Of course, I took the white one, but they did not mention the lack of LEDs on the final release! Seriously... $150 for a keyboard, and no LEDs for caps/scroll lock?! I am extremely upset. I can understand a sub $20 keyboard not having LEDs, but really... (and I've seen $15 keyboards with the lights).

I'm working on filing a formal complaint.

5. Jake-1 macrumors newbie

I didn't like the MTP 2.0

And I said so in my review. The big problems: poor build quality, too few USB ports, and expense. Now I've started using a "Customizer (AKA USB Model M) with the Windows key remapped to alt and the alt key remapped to command. It's a better and cheaper solution.

6. Jake-1 macrumors newbie

More on the Customizer

I actually wrote an entire review of the Customizer, including a screenshot of how to remap the keyboard's alt and windows keys to command and option.

Those of you interested in esoteric, superior keyboards should go with a Customizer over the Tactile Pro.

7. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

this keyboard is so badass

people typing on that apple aluminum abortion can never know the joy of 107 thundering fukka alps switches. their hands will shrivel and die from RSI long before these switches show the first sign of slowing down.

hell yeah it sounds like i am shooting a submachine gun in here.

8. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

I got two of the Matias Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboards in summer 2007, and I love them. They provide an excellent typing experience. I can't wait for the Tactile Pro 3.0 keyboards to be released soon! They are already in pre-production.

9. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

i have a couple of IBM model Ms and they're fine but the tactile pro just keeps finding its way back onto my desk. it's got a bit of a ghosting problem but other than that it's basically the perfect keyboard.

10. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

Yes, actually the ghosting problem has bothered me many times, but I look forward to the new 3.0 version, and I hope that they fixed some of the key-mapping issues that cause ghosting problems. I know that they exist in every keyboard by the nature of keyboard design (many people don't know this), but I hope that some of the obvious key combinations that cause trouble with ghosting can be eliminated in the future.

11. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

nah, ghosting is generally a pretty easy problem to solve. if you like the switches in the matias boards, a filco zero is another good choice (available with or without numpad)... but with those sometimes you get switches from a different factory, or a controller board with a slow scan rate...

12. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

Hi there "The Admiral". I never noticed your reply to my post before... sorry for the year-long wait before replying! OK, one of my Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboards is about to die (the space bar is shot), and I see that the 3.0 models are not as good as they could be (I've read several complaints about them). Which Filco keyboard do you think is "best"? By "best", I mean that I can hammer away on the keyboard at well over 100 words/minute, let's say about 120 or 130 words/minute when we really get going fast. Which of their keyboards will handle this fast and furious pounding? I've never used Filco, but a student of mine recommended Filco to me, and I'm willing to try whatever is best. Let's imagine for the moment that price is not a consideration, i.e., I can get whichever you suggest. I would love to hear your opinion. Thank you!