Taiwanese Site Sued by Supplier After Leaking Claimed iPad 3 Dock Connector

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last July, Taiwanese site Apple.pro posted photos of what was claimed to be the dock connector and ribbon cable for the iPad 3. While the connector doesn't reveal much of anything about the full iPad 3 device other than some speculation about the connector itself being white as opposed to black on the iPad 2, it was one of the first reported leaks of iPad 3 parts.

Claimed iPad 3 dock connector leaked in July 2011

Apple's suppliers seem to have taken the leak seriously, however, as Apple.pro now seems to report [Google translation] that it has been sued by the supplier responsible for the part leaked in last year's report.

Apple's security demands are of course well-known, but parts for the company's devices have regularly leaked well before their public release. Most of the leaked parts have been basic ribbon cables and other internal components that have revealed little about the complete devices despite significant amounts of analysis and speculation.

Clearly Apple and its suppliers prefer that even these components not make their way into public view, although given the massive size of Apple's supply chain it may continue to have difficulty plugging leaks. Parts continue to leak on a regular basis, with some online vendors already offering some of the iPad 3 parts for sale.

Article Link: Taiwanese Site Sued by Supplier After Leaking Claimed iPad 3 Dock Connector

praetorian909

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2004
Ah ha! So this must be the new dock connector then!

Now if I could only somehow use this to figure out what the iPad 3 will look like. Hmm, it's not working...

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
It seems like Apple's lawyers are the ones who need to given more shares in the company. I bet they have no lives outside of a court room.

pricklypeet

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

nfl46 said:
It seems like Apple's lawyers are the ones who need to given more shares in the company. I bet they have no lives outside of a court room.
Perhaps I misread the article but it doesn't sound like it was Apple's lawyers, rather it was the supplier's lawyers doing the litigation.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Ah ha! So this must be the new dock connector then!

Now if I could only somehow use this to figure out what the iPad 3 will look like. Hmm, it's not working...
We also know the home button.

I think from that we can figure it out.

Going to be a rectangle picture frame shape with a front and a back and a good chance that it has a screen.

When I leak something it looks like glass although ..........

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Something here is shopped

Notice that the inset has "Happy Birthday" and the full photo has "to Liv"? All at the same font size, disregarding zoom?

:rolleyes:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Honestly don't think its a big deal, everyone knows what Apple's dock connectors look like..

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
Notice that the inset has "Happy Birthday" and the full photo has "to Liv"? All at the same font size, disregarding zoom?

:rolleyes:
It's centered on the image, with no attempt made to align it based on the Apple logo-- give that, it looks to be a shout-out, as opposed something that's supposedly etched onto the back of the iPad. In any case, Happy Birthday Liv!

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
If Apple tries to keep this insanity up, at some point the whole company is going to implode on the weight of their fanatical security measures. It's a losing battle they are fighting anyway - there is no way that this problem is going to get anything but worse in this day and age. They need a different tactic than such a strong-arm approach.

Tony

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
If Apple tries to keep this insanity up, at some point the whole company is going to implode on the weight of their fanatical security measures. It's a losing battle they are fighting anyway - there is no way that this problem is going to get anything but worse in this day and age. They need a different tactic than such a strong-arm approach.

Tony
So far they have done a good job, but at one point or another you have to sit back and ask yourself if you're going to focus on security more or quality like they have been.

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Note that this suit seems to be about a particularly boring photo, which means the suit may not be about this alleged leak (too boring for much publicity), but potentially a designed and prompted message to other a bunch of other companies, to either boost their security or self-fund a huge legal budget, if they want to keep their business relationships with a certain un-named fruit company.