Take a look back and appreciate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Robot Cow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

I was watching the first iPhone keynote by Steve Jobs and isn't it amazing just how insanely fast the smartphone has evolved? And it all started with the iPhone back in 2007.

It didn't have 3g data capabilities, it had 128mb of Ram a 412mhz processor, 3.5'' screen with 163dpi. Compared to what we have now, its completely different and the rest is history.

Just makes me enjoy my Apple products that much more. :cool:

2. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

3. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Curious to see where smartphones end up several years from now. All I can predict is more and more spec increases, but hopefully something half as creative as the original iPhone can wow us again.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It didn't have 412 MHz of clockspeed from the get go. No, it was originally 400 MHz, which was increased to 412 MHz with 1.1.1 service update.

5. Davejprince macrumors regular

And the user experience is almost identical to the first generation iPhone.

6. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I remember safari crashing almost every other time, no copy & paste, couldn't text in landscape things have changed indeed

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

That is the bit I like. A solid user experience that has created an identity for itself. It was a winner from the go and remains a winner to this day.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

most important is I remember paying $800 for the phone, but a few months later apple gave me money back when they lowered the price to $650.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have to slightly disagree with that. I didn't come in until 2012 with the iPhone 5, but I had a 3GS (no carrier) for a year and have used other Apple products for a decade or so.

But having been on other phones during the four year time I waited for Sprint to get the iPhone and then another year to get the iPhone I wanted (4 and 4s, no thanks) from the outside I saw limitations. From the inside those limitations are still there.

Jailbreaking has freed me from those limitations. I still have the Apple experience, but where it limits me I can get around that with the tweaks and things I have installed.

It may have created it's own identity, but not everything about that identity is good.

10. CEmajr, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

CEmajr macrumors 601

I skipped the first iPhone but got the iPhone 3G the next year. I remember being resistant to smartphones and those PDAs at the time but the iPhone changed everything. The first time I saw one of my coworkers pulling up full webpages on the 3.5" screen on his iPhone 3G, I knew I had to have one. Cancelled my Sprint contract and gave up my flip phone, then went to AT&T and got the 3G.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Well its all down to personal opinion. I was on Android for 4 years with my last phone being the Samsung S3 and to be honest, I haven't found the iPhone to be limiting in what I need to do. Then again, I am just an average user who demands the standard needs like email, phone, texts, social media, a bit of web browsing, apps etc etc. I have to say I prefer iOS because it has tighter regulations and for me it adds to a more stable experience. Just my opinion though :)

12. The Robot Cow thread starter macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

Same here, I started on android and it was a good experience. I actually didn't like the iPhone back then but when the iPhone 5 came out I switch. I decided to go back to android but I ended up coming back. I also don't feel iOS being limited and I would root and flash roms on my androids.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hear you. I just want a bit more. Things like Quick Reply to SMS/MMS, viewing SMS/MMS without having to leave the app you are in, calling without having to access the phone app, customizing the UI, putting my icons anywhere on the screen I want and determining how many I want on the screen and how close to each other and the size they are, etc. Call blocking has been available for jailbreakers for quite a while. Apple only got it with iOS 7. That's seven full versions of iOS before Apple got with it.

So, yes, personal opinion, personal taste. I only disagreed a little with you. Overall, the Apple experience to me is far above what else is out there.

14. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

I cant believe its been 6 years really. I first saw the iPhone around christmas time 2007 and I was 15 at the time. It was really aw inspiring as a tech enthusiast back then and even still is now. It's one of the few products I held for the first time at that age that made me feel something special. A few years later I got a hand-me-down iPhone 3g from my father and the rest is history. My life revolves around iOS as a college student now. I now have an iPad 4, iPhone 4S, macbook pro, iPod touch 5, and an apple t.v. The way everything syncs up is second to no other operating system in the world. I guess you can say I wouldn't have the things I have if it weren't for my 15 year old self being inspired by that phone back in 2007. Its Awesome. :apple:

15. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

So true. Looking back on how the iPhone has evolved (versus other smartphones), I think we can appreciate the seemingly incremental changes that were made in each version. We're all guilty of making those "too little too late" complaints every year, but in reality the slow progression is probably a blessing and not a curse. It's a blessing that iOS isn't crippled by fragmentation issues like Android and Windows Phone are.

16. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

Apple products have always had this mysterious ability to inspire people in ways we never knew were possible. I can still remember receiving my first Macintosh Performa desktop on Christmas Day in 1994. As a 10 year old kid, I felt like I was in Heaven when I opened the box and then spent 30 minutes setting it up before hearing for the first time the Mac "dong" tone on boot up. It was love at first sight. I think it's worth mentioning that in 1994 Apple didn't have the "hip" and cool factor that it does today. A lot of people considered it to be the Fisher Price of computing due to its simplicity and compatibility issues with Windows.

I can honestly say if I hadn't received that little Performa desktop as a kid, I probably wouldn't be the geek I am today. I definitely wouldn't have studied CS in university either lol.

17. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

I know what you mean! My first apple product was a 30gb iPod video but the feelings were the same. What an awesome product. I'm studying CSET (Computer Science and Engineering Technology) at the university of Toledo currently and I can say I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today without apple products to inspire me.

18. solo118 macrumors 65816

Even holding a 3GS feels ridiculous, and that was released in 2009!

I was hooked from day 1. I remember the first time pulling out my iphone on the beach listened to my music and surfing the web. People were looking at me like I was an alien!

The screen really blew me away as it was stunning compared to my older blackberries and Samsung Blackjack 2 (what a great phone at that time!)

I fell out during the 3G/3GS as blackberry was so hot. I came back for the iphone 4 and never looked back!

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This artcle delves intot he background of the keynote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/and-then-steve-said-let-there-be-an-iphone.html

Reading this, and then seeing the keynote speech again, you get a whole new insight into things. That prorotype was RAZOR CLOSE to crashing and making the presentation a failure, should there have been the slightest deviation from the carefully choereographed script.

And now, hundreds of millions of these devices "just work," every day. How far we've come.

20. Krabba macrumors regular

Krabba

Well stated. I read that article when it came out and had the same thoughts. I watch that first keynote every year around the time the new model is released and it definitely provides prospective.

21. The Robot Cow thread starter macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

Imagine what if it did fail and the iPhone never made it past the 1st keynote?

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I watch it about once a year as well. Looking back, it's astonishing how far the iPhone was ahead if everyone else. It redefined the smartphone and mobile computing.

That first keynote really was something special.