Take off data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benz63amg, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Hey guys, I have an iPhone 4 with at&t, I just bought an unlocked android phone so I'm switching to that, how can I remove the iPhone data plan? I signed up for 2 years when I bought the iPhone, can I just call at&t and tell them to remove the data plan? Will they give me any problems?

Thanks guys

2. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Do you have a unlimited data? You can get them to switch it to a smart phone if you want, but yes the should be able to remove it by calling.

Also what phone did you get?

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Oh, let me know how it goes for you. I'm going abroad and I'd like the remove the data plan too.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Do you want to completely remove data? If the android phone is a smartphone you are still required to have a data plan with it.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If the Android phone is not a smartphone ( :confused: ), then you can simply have the data plan removed. If it is a smartphone, data is required.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

AT&T requires an internet plan for all smartphones whether they are unlocked or not. They'll simply re-add it if you remove it.

7. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

My sister was in the same situation and the first time she went abroad she suspended her number, the second time they cancelled it w/o charge. Both times with Verizon.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You obviously will have to finish the contract. Since you have a smartphone, you'll have to have a data plan anyway.

9. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Switch to a dumbphone, call to cancel/block data plan, use microsim adaptor, and pop the sim into your android phone (be sure to block cellular data on phone).

From what I understand, At&t is super strict with iPhones having data plans but they don't care as much for Androids in terms of catching and adding one to your account

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP needs to clarify "unlocked Android". If its an ATT branded unlocked Android phone ATT will require a data plan.

If it is Android phone ATT does not recognize (like Samsung Vibrant that gets 1900 wcdma 3G) than OP just need to put in dumb phone. Call ATT and ask to have data plan removed. And than put sim back into undetected unknown Android. Obviously turn off cellular data on the Android so you won't incur any extra data charges.

11. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

was this with a verizon iPhone?

12. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I just called At&t and told them my story and no problem removing data plan. But if I use iPhone again, the data will re-add.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Good stuff. :)

14. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You can't remove a data plan from an iPhone and still intend to use it as just a phone.

It's either you completely drop all cell service, or you get the data package.

If you are just transferring you plan over to the Android phone, then ya, that's no problem, but you can't use an iPhone on AT&T's network without a data plan.

Also, if you drop AT&T all together, you will have to pay an Early Termination Fee, which is $375 minus $10 per every month of service completed.

So if you've had the iPhone 10 months, the ETF would be $275.

15. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Actually, you are wrong on this. In my case, 1) I am going abroad and won't get back until after my 2 years are up, 2) I do not intend to use my iPhone in the states nor where I am going, 3) therefore, it only customary for AT&T to drop the data.

My family plan is still intact, minutes, just my line won't have SMS or data charges.

16. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i got the HTC Sensation, my question is, since im on atat, 3g isnt working, only Edge, but heres my question, data is working fine with my 200 MB iphone data plan,

is atat going to automaticlly change my data plan or something because they detect a different phone?

and just to be clear, i cant completely take off the data right? the phone is factory unlocked from the UK.

even though its unlocked, they will still see the phone and add a data plan?

17. pyro008 macrumors 6502

There is no iPhone data plan anymore. There are just smart phone data plans, and yes they are required.