Take the plunge now or wait for June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by earlycuyler, Apr 30, 2009.

  1. earlycuyler macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #1
    Hello all. I have been reading your forum for a bit and I have enjoyed it greatly. Thanks for letting me join. I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

    So, I am going to be taking the iPhone plunge soon. Obviously I have figured out that most folks anticipate a next gen iPhone launch in June. I am trying to make the decision as to whether to go for the current model or wait for the new one.

    I realize that the immediate answer from most will be I should wait. However, keep these things in mind:

    1) Someone else will be paying for my data plan. So, the price of the phone will be the only economic issue for me. The "price of the phone is really irrelevant next to the data plan" argument goes out the window.

    2) According to the last AT&T rep I spoke with, my next available upgrade would normally be in October. So, going current 16gb iPhone under the early upgrade deal would get me 5 more months of iPhone.

    3) The anticipated storage increase is not a huge deal for me as I will be using it as a browser and phone primarily. I won't be storing a lot of music or video.

    What say you? (Thanks to anyone who takes time to read all of this and respond :) )
     
  2. llj1137075 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    #2
    Personally, I would wait.
    The next iPhone might have more features and be cheaper or the same price as the 3g.
    Or if the new iPhone comes out and then you decide you would be fine with the 3g then I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a 3g from craigslist for a nice discount or ebay.
    I think waiting a month or so would probably be worth it either way.
    Cheaper 3g or new iPhone with upgrades for the same price.
     
  3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

    fleshman03

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    Location:
    Sioux City, IA
    #3
    I don't really know what you're talking about for point 2. Are you eligible now for an upgrade or starting in October?

    I'm waiting for June/July for a few reasons, but mainly memory. I'd expect to see a 16gb model @ $199 and 32gb @ $299, once a refresh occurs.

    Other than more memory at a cheaper price, it's supposed to have a faster telephony chip. That will mean better 3g speeds.

    Also, a somewhat better CPU and more RAM. That will just make the experience better.

    You say memory isn't a big concern to you right now, but I urge you to reconsider this. You're going to be tied to this device for 2 years. Do you not plan on building a music and video collection? I've taken to ripping my purchased DVDs and storing them on the computer. As it is now, I can carry my music, podcasts and maybe a TV show. Not really too much room for movies.

    Those are all things for you to think about. It's killing me to wait this long, but I feel it will be worth it for me. I've owned an iPod Touch 16GB since G1 - Day 1. A few weeks back, the home button broke. Now I need to turn it off and turn it on to switch Apps. Annoying.

    My recommendation is two fold. If you are happy with your current phone and think you can stick it out, do so. If you cannot stand your current phone and really really want an iPhone right now, then go for it. But don't be upset when a new phone with a better camera, more memory and faster internet comes out.
     
  4. Reversed macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    #4
    Just do as I do, wait for the new one. A better camera etc. isn't too bad for the same amount of money.

    @fleshman03, I think he means that he would like a iPhone asap. ;-)
     
  5. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #5
    As for point #2, AT&T is offering me upgrade pricing (i.e., 8gb - $199, 16gb -$299) right now for the current iPhone only. If I want any other phone I won't be eligible for upgrade pricing until October. So, waiting for the new iPhone most likely means for me that I would be waiting until October instead of only June. That is unless they generally offer early upgrades on the new iPhones, but it has been my impression that they don't.

    As for storage, 16gb is enough storage for me. I won't be ripping shows or movies to the phone. It will likely never have more that 4gb of music on it. I have an iPod that I will use when such things are needed or appropriate. I do not like to combine such things with my phone as my phone is a "must" device for me. I can't burn the battery on a given day by playing movies.
     
  6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

    acfusion29

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto
    #6
    If your eligible for an upgrade now, then you will be eligible for an upgrade in June/July.

    They just want your money right now because they want to get rid of the stock for the upgrade. Don't bite, because that's what they want you to do.

    I hope this helps.
     
  7. walnuts macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #7
    Don't knock it until you try it- my music collection alone is too big to fit on my iphone and I was convinced that I would carry around my 5th gen 30 gb for my music and video needs. But, in practice, with the nicer screen, the convenience of having only one device to carry around, the slickness of seamlessly answering the phone and having the music pause for you during the cal or surfing the net while controling music with the remote were enough to leave my poor 5g in a drawer. Also, the battery is more than sufficient to allow for 1.5 hours of video, some web surfing, music and phone usage all on a day's charge.
     
  8. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #8
    Are you sure that is the case? As I said, I am not technically eligible for an upgrade right now. The only reason I am able to get that price right now is because of a current iPhone-specific deal. I have talked to two different reps (one of whom I am related to) and both said that as far as they knew the early upgrade deal would only be for current iPhone (though both admitted anything is possible).

    I hope I am being clear with what I am saying :eek:
     
  9. wildonrio macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #9
    Obviously wait! We are only 5 weeks away from the WWDC which is when they announce the new phone. It is incredibly stupid to get an iPhone now. Even if you don't care about all the new features the new iPhone will offer, if you wait, the current iPhone will be way cheaper in the shadow of the new one, so you could get an even better deal. And even if you've got the money for an iPhone now, and the new one will be the same price. Just wait, my friend. Your early upgrade will be just as eligible now as it will be in June.
     
  10. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #10
    Right. I definitely understand that data storage needs can balloon. This isn't my first rodeo with personal electronic devices. I could go into a long explanation of how my business and personal life dictate the uses of my phone and limit my ability/desire to have music and video on the phone. I don't think that's necessary though because I am saying that I have already thoroughly considered the matter and that 16gb is enough for me. 32gb simply isn't a selling point in my case.
     
  11. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #11
    Maybe I made my initial question a little too broad. How about this:

    1) Are there any educated guesses as to the pricing of the new iPhones? From my research I don't know if buy that it will be the same as current 3G pricing since the 3G itself was only recently reduced in price.

    2) Did AT&T offer early upgrade pricing to current subscribers wishing to purchase new gen iPhones in '07 and '08? I don't think they did based on what I have read.

    3) Other than extra storage (and extra speed which I understand and will factor into my decision), are there any other expected new features that might justify the expected additional cost?
     
  12. cellocello macrumors 68000

    cellocello

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #12
    1 - Honestly, if the new phone isn't the same price, it'll likely be slightly more. *Especially* if they sell both at the same time for a while.
    2 - The 3G is a subsidized cell phone like any other subsidized cell phones. All regular subsidized cell phone rules apply.
    3 - Everyone's been assuming all kinds of stuff, but no one knows for sure. "It'll be better" is the only "for sure" we got.

    If waiting's no big deal (and I'd be prepared to wait until August, just in case) then just wait.
     
  13. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #13
    Thanks for the response.

    As far as 2, that's what I figured and it probably dictates that I will go ahead and get one now. Waiting a month or so is not great but still doable. Waiting until October when I will be eligible for upgrade pricing is probably not an option.

    Just to clear up what I am talking about when I say I am eligible for upgrade pricing on current iPhone only, see this http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/27/att_stores_now_offering_early_upgrade_pricing_on_iphone_3g.html
     
  14. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    #14
    No he wont always be eligable, Only reason hes getting a subsidized price right now is cause Apple is giving everyone an early upgrade right now for the 3g phone so they can get more out of there stock.
     
  15. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #15
    No, no one is certain that is the case.

    That being said, no one knows really what the specifics will be. We have no choice but to wait until AT&T and Apple release the specifics in regards to acquiring the new iPhone.

    However, we can infer based on the past. And based on the past, even if they are willing to do an early contact renewal exception for you right now on the iPhone 3G (which sounds like what they're offering to do), that probably won't apply to the new iPhone if it does come out this summer.

    I know, because that's the scenario I found myself in last year. Luckily, one of my family plan's numbers was up for renewal a week after the 3G came out so I was lucky.

    Early upgrade exceptions actually are fairly common but not on a recently released iPhone. Trust me, I tried. No store or employee was willing to do it for me, regardless of how many years I've been with them. AT&T has been trying very hard to lock down and prevent anyone from getting 'around the system' when it comes to purchasing the iPhone. I'm not surprised that they would give you this exception NOW, especially since the buzz was significantly died down and a new one on the horizon. However, your mileage may vary.
     
  16. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #16
    Thanks JP. That is exactly what I believed to be the case. So, most likely I have three options:

    1) buy the current iPhone for the subsidized upgrade price now,

    2) buy the next gen iPhone for the full, unsubsidized price in June/July, or

    3) buy the next gen iPhone for the subsidized upgrade price in October.

    Choice number 1 is looking like the best right now.
     
  17. twitt3r macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    #17
    Yep, choice number 1 looks the best right now and keeps you happy for a few weeks until the new phone comes out. I'm sure if you did get the current iPhone 3G, you would regret it once the new one comes out. Just be patient and then make your decision. As already said, it would be stupid to get an iPhone 3G now when we are so close to the potential announcement at WWDC.
     
  18. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #18
    Whatever is on it is not very likely to be worth the extra $400+ I would have to spend to get the phone in June/July.

    I won't be able to get the subsidized price until October. As I stated above, that is probably not an option for me (even if I wanted it to be). Even if it were an option, I'm not sure it makes sense to wait five months to get something that I need now just for a few hardware upgrades. If I get one now I will be ready for an upgrade when the 2010 version comes out.

    I am not an early adopter. I don't have to have every single techno advancement at my fingertips. I certainly don't see that its "stupid" to consider buying the current phone. There are legitimate arguments in favor of buying now.
     
  19. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #19
    It seems like you pretty much had answered your own question before making this thread. Just go buy it if it's what you want.
     
  20. earlycuyler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Location:
    The foothills of Appalachia
    #20
    I'll probably make this my last post in the thread, but I certainly hadn't answered my own question. I didn't know whether they would offer early upgrades for the new phone. JP kindly shared his experience which indicates that they probably won't. So that makes a big difference.

    Beyond that I was hoping to get some educated opinions as to any hardware updates that might be on the new phone. No one has really pointed to anything that would justify the extra cost in June/July (which I only know would be extra cost because of information given to me in this thread).

    I mostly got conclusory opinions that the new phone will be great and I should just wait.
     
  21. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    #22
    WAIT FOR JUNE OR YOU'LL BE KICKING YOURSELF AND POSTING IT ON HERE AGAIN
     
  22. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #23
    earlycuyler, To be honest with you - if things didn't work out, I may have just swallowed the extra $200 and got the 8GB model.

    If I were you, I'd probably wait. I think there will still be some iPhone 3G's left once the new one comes, so you may still have a choice.

    The last thing I would want is to get the current model, and have the possibility that the next model in only a few months will be significantly changed (all signs point to yes on this prediction).

    And you know what, my experience is one of many. Who knows, where you live you may be able to find an ATT employee disgruntled enough with their job to do an early upgrade when the new iPhone comes out. You know never know.
     
  23. kas23 macrumors 603

    kas23

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #24
    To the OP, definitely wait until June. They may very well have another deal for an early update at that time, especially since your eligibility is less than 6 months. Furthermore, you could always just buy out your current contract. Since your early termination fee is prorated, I doubt you would be paying much. Once out of your contract, you should be eligible for subsidized pricing again.
     
  24. jutte64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    Location:
    Coldwater, OH
    #25
    are you all sure the are even going to introduce the new phone when the new software is released or are you all just hoping and praying they do?
     

Share This Page