Taking a trip to Cali (Never been, what should I do)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coldwarx, Dec 22, 2011.

1. coldwarx macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm from Toronto and I'm taking a 6 day trip to California during the first week of February. My plans are pretty loose, but as it stands right now, I'm flying to San Fran and hanging out for a couple days. Then renting a car and driving along the coast to L.A and staying there for a few days before flying back to Toronto.
    I don't really know anyone in those cities, and I've never been. Not sure what to expect or do. I'm also going solo... Anyone have any suggestions or advice?
    I'm pretty excited for this trip and a chance to just get away for a week.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Visit Santa Monica or Venice! I absolutely love it there. Take the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) down to Malibu- some terrific sights.

Can you give a little insight on what you enjoy? Urban, museums, cars, art, etc.?

4. tcottarel macrumors newbie

SF area

Be sure to visit the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. Also, Stanford Campus is really nice. San Francisco overall is a pretty nice city, and there's quite a lot to do. You can visit China Town.

Just throwing some things out there.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Have an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista while you're in SF, and Hit the Getty Museum while you're in LA (it's free).

Oh, the bubble lounge in San Francisco's North Beach is a great place to drink.

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

your missing out on california's best place. san diego!

7. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

The Golden Gate, of course. Hire a bicycle (plenty of places by the Piers), cycle across then on up into the Marin headland for a view back to the city - best enjoyed soon after sunset:

[​IMG]

Santa Monica for sure.

A walk up into the Hollywood hills is also worth it for the views.

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

my GF and i did the rent-a-bike earlier in May...was awesome. we biked across the GGB, and down into the nice lil city of Sausalito, then took the ferry back to SF. was really awesome!

9. smithrh, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Let me find a thread on this exact darned topic.

Oh, I'm not mad at the OP - but a lot of us put a lot of thought into that past thread and we never got any feedback from _that_ OP.

OK, I found the thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1094908

10. coldwarx thread starter macrumors newbie

i know i should've searched the forums, and after reading that thread, i realize it's a pretty resourceful one. thanks for the link..

i like pretty much anything; museums, parks, concerts, basketball/baseball games and driving! i would be nice to check out the night life, but i don't know anyone so it might be tricky to have a night out solo...

11. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

There's no way you could have known - or suspected, really - that there was a visiting California thread on a Mac site...

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

THIS! THIS THIS THIS!!!! 1 Billion times THIS!!

13. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

In-and-out is, sadly, highly overrated.

Yeah, it's super that they treat employees nice and they make everything fresh, but when you cut the hype away, it's another middling burger and lousy fries.

But having said that, you should go and make up your own mind about it.

14. uscsailor macrumors newbie

My taste buds would gladly challenge that, good sir.

15. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

If you can, you could also visit the Apple HQ in Cupertino.

16. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

ahahha beat me to it!

----------

That said, I honestly agree, I think it's more the experience itself is fun/unique-ish.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

With the time he has and all the other stuff he can do, this shouldn’t be on the list, IMO

18. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

As a NY resident who had the pleasure of touring in a band to almost every state in this country...

Coastal Highway 1 is where it's at.

We hopped on in Monterey. It was dark so we pulled over and slept the night. We had no cell signal so it's safe to say it was a mind numbingly boring night.

But as soon as the sun came up, it was the most beautiful sight I've seen. Even though the curvy windy mountain roads were treacherous because we drove in a 15 passenger van and a 6x12 trailer it was worth every second.

Do not deny yourself the chance to drive down the coast, with no distractions from the outside world.

19. gtx281 macrumors newbie

BS. If you enjoy the occasional fast food burger, it doesn't get any better. The quality and freshness is what sets it apart.

LOL! Yeah, no one ever has 15 minutes to eat lunch while on vacation for a week. :rolleyes:

20. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I never said In-and-Out is *bad*. It's certainly acceptable.

What I said was that it's *overrated*. Much like Chik-fil-a and KrispyKreme.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Tried it once or twice. I'm not that big on fast food personally. San Diego has excellent Mexican food :). It's relatively close to the border, so I think that influenced it. The beaches here are pretty awesome (speaking of Socal in general here), but it's been kind of cold recently. If the OP is near any of the national parks, I suggest visiting them. LA is a silly place. Getty Museum which was suggested is good.

22. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

In-n-out is definitely worth stopping at.

I miss that place.

23. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yes! Definitely! Makes all other fast food places look and taste like junk.

Checking out the coast is pretty touristy, SF has A LOT of stuff to offer, the architecture is fantastic to photograph, lots of awesome buildings, the views are incredible too.

LA again has a lot to offer, just depends where you go, check out some local bands, LA has a pretty awesome local music scene that's ever changing and rife with some really talented people, same can be said for SF to be honest.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member