Taking advantage of children?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBryton, Jan 4, 2011.

1. iBryton macrumors regular

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Don't exaggerate the problem. It only charged $99.99, not the alleged $100.00. ;)

Also: that little girl is adorable.

3. CZK, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Would never give something worth 200+(ipod touch) to a 5 years old kid anyways. At 5-6 years old ( 90's) biggest thing i had was a yo-yo or some 20-50 $ toys not a 500$ laptop like i've seen. And don't worry about money my parents are ph.D.

[​IMG]

4. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

The highly popular in ranking and I believed designed by Konami game, "Smurfs" in the store sells numerous in game items, all starting well over $100 including simple things like a rake etc. for $250 plus. There is NO reason they do this other than to trap children. None.

5. Infraggable Kru, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

And this is why I don't watch Television news anymore

They start with an interesting point of discussion, and turn it into a sensational load of crap

edit for those who didn't watch the video - the Hot Air

1)Parents were smart enough to not teach their kids the password to purchase things on their iphones
    2) Parents did not turn off "In app purchase" option under controls
    3) Parents assumed that each download/purchase requires a new password
    4) iOS has a "courtesy" feature that allows you to enter your password once to download something and it won't repeat this prompt for another 15 minutes
    5) Parents purchase kid an app, cute kid then purchases tons of in-app junk
    6) Parents overreact/believe apple/game makers are being evil

Personally it would drive me nuts to have to enter my password every single time I downloaded/updated an application, so I'm happy that apple has that 15 minute grace period, but perhaps this should be an "Opt in" feature that is turned off by default, to avoid these kind of scenarios

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't believe Apple was blamed once in the video. Who's being sensationalist now?

7. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

8. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

If you mean the features to block the purchases in app... Settings - > General - > Restrictions ... Turn off "Installing Apps" (lest they purchase a $999.99 Law book) and "in-App Purchases"

9. Loveappletech macrumors newbie

You should maybe Change the title of this thread to something a little less creepy lol

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Omg, is that a tamagachi, ringpop, yoyo and old time nickelodeon?!! YESSS!!!!

11. Pracht macrumors member

And a SKIP-IT!!!!!!

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

OMGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I JUST REALIZED WHAT THAT WAS. Man, we used to use those back in the day!!! (born in the mid 90's here) :D:D:D

CZK was pretty spot on with the 90's kids.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Please. Do you know how much money was spent on video game cartridges back then? Probably even more than now. Everyone I knew had dozens of Nintendo or Sega Genisis games back then.

And, yes, they cost $50 back then. I'm sure people easily had $1,000+ invested in many of those systems. (If anything, console game have gotten cheaper over time as they seem to cost the same now even though inflation has made everything else go up.) $1,000 back then is the same as $1,500 today.

14. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

15. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

This reminds me when parents complain about violence in video games. But don't check the ESBR age rating before buying the games for their kids.

16. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

17. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

here you go, sit in the drivers seat and play with daddy's car keys - it's crazy i tell you, that these car companies make it so easy for children to drive a car, little johnny did $6300 worth of damages and we're suing Toyota!

I bought my 14 year old son Grand Theft Auto for Christmas this year, he loves it, he's always upstairs playing it - we don't know what happened, he's always been such a nice boy, we blame the video game companies for John killing 3 prostitutes with the gun that we keep in the nightstand, not locked up or anything. it's so terrible that the game companies can get away with selling things like this.

our daughter loves her $200 iPod touch that we got her and connected up to our credit card - oh my, she managed to spend $450 on our credit card, this is the game designers fault for tricking children into clicking buy

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Seriously though, you should change the title of the thread.

To take advantage = rape.

19. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

Who would be out of there mind to pay $99.99 of there money for a bucket of stars.

This is a childrens game and children WOULD assume that it would be the money that they have earned in the game.

20. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

21. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Late 90s Was Amazing, Nowadays my little cousin has a PS3 Wii and a bunch of games, i recently got my own Ps3 with 2 Games O_O

22. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

how about the sort of people that would kill their child because they are too busy playing farmville.

you wouldn't connect your credit card up to your 6 year old's device without first making sure you had disabled any way of downloading anything

while i agree that the $99 thing is ridiculous and may be their to take advantage of the children playing the games, i still think the parents could of done more, as people have said there are options in the settings that could of prevented this.