Taking apart MACBOOK PRO Warranty question~

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tvt5043, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Tvt5043 macrumors member

I wanted to know if apple will care/warranty voids if I took apart my whole macbook pro and put it back together to the way it was. Still works, everything is fine, and is in perfect running condition, but it is very noticeable that is was open. Do they void warranty for this or what is the case here?

I am due to get applecare soon so I need to decide whether or not to waste my money on it. Any response will help.

THANKS!

I need someone who knows alot about apple to msg me on aim : Browneyeviet

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Im pretty sure taking your machine apart completely voids any warranty/apple care.

3. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

I read alot of other post and it said opening up your macbook pro doesn't void your warranty as long as you put it back the way it was, and if it was put back together proper without damaging anything. In my case nothing was damage and everything was put back together. It is only noticeable because of 1 or 2 missing screws and the yellow tapes inside are removed.

4. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Again, Im pretty sure that if you took your MBP in for a repair and they noticed that screws and tape are missing, they will turn you away for voided warranty.

5. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

can I take it in and have them check it out to make sure everything works and then have them say everything is ok with it then buy applecare?

6. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Well unless you put the yellow tape and the screws back, you're SOL buddy

7. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

I agree. You cant really ask an employee to say its okay. You opened it, and now if anything ever goes wrong, due to something you ruined opening it, or something else entirely, you are not going to be helped :/

8. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

9. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

I saw somewhere that says you can pay to have apple tech. take a look at your macbook pro to have your warranty not void for them to make sure your machine is in its normal condition?

10. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Ive never heard of that happening or being available, but if you want a truly final answer I would read the warranty page on Apple's site.

11. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

thank for all the reply i guess I'll do that =|

12. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

No problem.

You shoulda asked first before you opened it. And just out of curiosity, why did you take it apart?

13. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

car crash which left it in a big cosmetic damages, then i changed the casing myself so now its normal in every way. Was greatful it worked and all after the accident. Now trying to get apple to accept the fact that it was opened up.

14. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

You replaced the entire casing?
    Im extremely sure the warranty voided now.

15. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

16. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Still. You replaced a part of your computer by yourself, not an authorized Apple Service Provider.

17. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

A response from somebody:
    You should be able to pay to have Apple bring your MBP back into warranty by repairing it. If it is just cosmetic, it should be able to be repaired for around $200.

Yes, I meant restoring your warranty by paying to have Apple fix it up to bring it back into spec of the warranty.

18. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think apple would know I changed my casing. They would only know it was opened up and tapes were remove but wouldn't be able to say the whole machine was taken apart?

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I can assure you they will know. The serial number of every MBP is on the bottom casing.

20. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

I got the serial number and had it put on to my new case.

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The serial number is etched into the metal. Please post a pic of yours?

22. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

ohh there is a serial number engraved into the metal?? Thought you was talking about the serial number for my machine which is a sticker.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You never actually said which machine you have, although I have an iMac 24", Time Capsule, a Macbook Air (which I sold) and the new 13" MBP. All of these have the serial number etched onto the body. My older white iBook has the serial number etched onto the bottom casing. Apple has never placed a serial number sticker on their products. Show us a pic of your bottom casing with the serial as your posts are starting to show signs of suspect.

24. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

i have a mbp,ok well my serial number for the machine was a stick on the bottom underneath my battery which I removed. Is the serial number you talking about go with the casing or the machine? is the number inside or outside of the case?