taking my MacbookPro 13.3" abroad

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pau.c, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Pau.c macrumors regular

i live in wales, uk and im going on holiday in 2 weeks to Krakow in poland! i will need to take my laptop with me as i am in the middle of some business deals!

but i am contemplating leaving it at home and missing out on some deals because i really dont want anything to happen to my MacbookPro

what do you guys recommend?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Are those business deals worth more than the MacbookPro?

3. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

they are yes but they are for the company i work for not for myself!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh smart, bits of my family came from a town near Krakow. Brilliant place. Used to get lost just exploring it all.
    I'd definitely take the laptop. Backup your HDD though, just to be safe. I've taken my laptops abroad many times and nothing ever happened to them.

5. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

i have an oakley flak pack backpack for it so i dont think it will be obvious i have one!

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Make sure the data is backed up on a disk at home before you go and take it.

7. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

anyone know what insurance i can get out on it?

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You can have it added to your homeowners policy here. Best to check with your insurance company.

9. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Buy a Vyper case for it and take it. My 17" uMBP went from Seattle to Baltimore then to Leipzig Halle and then 4 months with me in Kuwait/Iraq. That is a crappy environment for any electronic device. I used a lot of dust-it and iKlear. Then it made it all the way back with me to Seattle. It looks and performs the same it did when it was brand new.

I kept it in a Booq Vyper case when not in use. I also have the Booq Boa backpack which fit my MBP in the Vyper case in a separate compartment when I was in the airport/plane. The have my vote.
    http://www.booqbags.com/

Its not a "glass" computer. Its durable within reason, if you take care of it and dont spill coke all over the keyboard or drop it.

My uMPB a few days ago:
    [​IMG]

Here it is next to my rack in Kuwait:
    [​IMG]

10. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

i have this

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

do you think that will be good enough to keep it safe?

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

12. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

well there is theft aswell! im dont care about carrying it about all the time i just care if thieves will notice it! and is leaving in a hotel a good idea?

13. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Any decent hotel should be able to protect your belongings. If your hotel room gets robbed. The hotel is responsible for replacing your stuff. Out and about, I would carry a money clip with ID in your front pocket. Leave everything else in your room. Do not draw attention to yourself the rest is common sense.... Have a safe trip.

14. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

The whole point of a laptop is to take it places. I travel with my MBP once or twice a month on airplanes. I have a black case exactly like yours that I put in my backpack. Be sure to hand carry it. Be calm and careful going thru security as this is a place that mistakes happen. I generally put the charger in my checked bag. I use Time Machine and leave that drive back at home. Travel is part of the resume of a MBP.

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This isn't necessarily true. I've stayed in reasonably nice (and some very nice) hotels in Europe and Asia where it's stated explicitly in the info in the room that the hotel will not be responsible for valuables left anywhere but in the hotel or room safe. The safes in the rooms are often quite small, I've never had one that I could fit a laptop in.

Don't let your bag out of your sight at any time while out and about.

16. Grimbo macrumors member

When I went to Krakow, it was VERY pick-pocket friendly. But doubt someone would try steal your bag unless you took it off your back.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You are correct on liability of valuables.

I've been able to get my 13MBP & MBA in the standard safes I've encountered here but I do have to remove the little shelf they put in to get them to fit.

18. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Well, since you put it that way.....I stand corrected. When i travel on business....I rarely have any issues. But, I have been all over Asia (lived in Korea for 4 years). I would be skittish there unless it was a high end hotel. Might be best to sling er over your back as everyone suggested and not worry about it. As I stated, put your wallet or a money clip in your front pocket or somewhere a pickpocket can't easily access.

19. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

No they don't. You should check with where you'll be staying to know ahead of time.

21. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Surely it would be better just to email your specific hotel and check?

For what it's worth I don't see how this is any more dangerous than carrying your macbook through your town centre. I take my iBook with me all over the place and just always make sure I have a hand on my bag. I also always carry it in a backpack rather than a standard laptop bag.

As an aside though I've always considered the sleeves with the apple logo on them to be tempting fate.

22. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

i think ill just take a couple of locks to put on the zips on my bag which will then stop pick pocketing B*sterds getting into my bag!

23. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Ohhh. Then they'll know there're valuable inside and just steal the whole bag.:p

24. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

25. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I actually do something like that on the bag I use daily. Not locks, but those oblong ring thingies with a lever on a spring that has to be pushed in to be released. A little more discrete, and you don't need a key.

Yes, but...

Yes, if you really keep it there. And if you do put it down for any reason, at any time, put one of your legs through one of the straps. I had a friend put down a bag for literally 10 seconds in a Paris train station, and whoosh - gone. :( These people are pros, don't underestimate them.