Carrier Taking my newly unlocked AT&T 5s to T-Mobile...a few questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjb59463, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I was able to get my iphone 5s unlocked via a 3rd party, and the IMEI status when checked now does say sim unlocked. So now, I plan to move my service from AT&T to tmobile. But I have a couple questions.

1. I purchased my phone as an AT&T upgrade with AppleCare +. I have no problem paying the 325 ETF, but will my AppleCare go away since it was purchased as an AT&T device, and will now be used on tmobile? With replacements I've always had to give my phone number to the Genius Bar, and if it shows up as A non-AT&T phone number, will that be a red flag? And will they give me an unlocked model in the exchange?

2. Since I will be bringing my own device to tmobile and will only be paying for the plan, when the iPhone 6 comes out, will I be eligible to enroll in the tmobile Jump program and get the discounted price(down payment+monthly payment)? Or would I have to do that now with a device that I already own?

Just want to make sure I have all the bases covered before I jump( pardon the pun) into bed with tmobile.

2. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Can't answer #2, but for #1, Apple warranties the device, not the plan, so they don't care which carrier your plan is through... :) Your device coverage will not be affected...

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I'm not sure if you can enroll in JUMP with the iPhone that you're bringing over. Although, you will be eligible to do the down payment/monthly when the next iPhone comes out. You'll be able to start JUMP then.

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

OP - I'm considering doing the same thing with my wife's phone. Did you ask AT&T to unlock the phone, and they refused? Is that why you paid a 3rd party?

5. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

1: As a previous poster said, your AppleCare will not be affected in any way. If you do ever have to exchange your phone, just make sure they give you an unlocked one when you do.

2: There's no need to enroll in JUMP. You will be able to get the discounted price regardless. Enrolling in JUMP might allow you to get the discount if you wanted to get the 6s (or whatever follows the 6).

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I would just return the iPhone and get an official unlocked one.

As far as replacements, no, you will get a locked AT&T phone. Unless you paid the full price after ETF and ask AT&T to unlock it for you officially and then after that you would have to get in touch w/ them to unlock the replacement or some other issue.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Apple only has one database of unlocked phones. It does not matter how the phone got in the database if the phone is exchanged for any reason and it is in the whitelist the new one will also be in the whitelist.

8. mjb59463 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not ask AT&T to unlock the phone. Being a new purchase, and the fact that they usually only unlock when you're out of contract, I didn't feel like wrestling with them over it. When I pay the ETF, I'll be severing ties with them. If you want to know where to get your phone unlocked, shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to tell you my experience.

The reason I'm switching to t-mobile, is because their voice/data rates for international travel are much more flexible and forgiving. Our family travels a decent amount, especially my father and I for work, and our AT&T bills have been quite high to say the least.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

First off you didn't need to pay any third party to unlock your phone. If you were already planning on going to tmobile all you had to do was pay your etf and call AT&T and ask them to unlock it. AT&T would have done it free for you.

Second with AppleCare+ it follows the phone not the carrier so you have nothing to worry about.

10. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

My question is, if you were going to go to T-Mobile, why didn't you just purchase the T-Mobile version of the phone? While you purchased the AT&T phone at a subsidized price, you said that paying the ETF wasn't a problem. I just cannot understand why you would purchase a locked device when the T-Mobile version is available, and then pay to have it unlocked, and like the other poster said, you could get it unlocked once you paid the ETF. Just seems like a lot of going around in circles to accomplish what could have been done by just purchasing the phone for the carrier you intended to be with.

11. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

In my case, having the phone on the AT&T mobile share plan is a lot cheaper than a T-Mobile plan. Once my wife needs to travel, I'll consider switching her to T-Mobile.
    Also, it is actually cheaper to pay $399+sales tax +$325 ETF (AT&T) than $849+sales tax (T-Mobile) for an unlocked 64GB 5s.

12. thetruest macrumors regular

Hi - i sent u a PM about this, did u get it? Seems like nothing is being sent for some reason.

I have an ATT 5s that i also want to use with T-Mobile. I think someone got it as an upgrade on contract and i bought it from them, forgetting i wont be able to unlock it like the ATT ones paid in full at Apple. :(

So theres no way i can unlock this myself, or the person i bought it from wont be able to get ATT to unlock it, and i'll have to resort to a 3rd party unlock? is this goin to be reliable in the future?

13. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I did the same. I bought the Verizon version at the Apple store on contract and canceled the contract when I got home from the store and using it when T-Mobile. It came out cheaper than buying an unlocked version direct from the Apple store.

14. thetruest, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

thetruest macrumors regular

nm dumb question

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The Verizon 5s is SIM unlocked. They turned on my iPhone in store and activated the Verizon SIM. I pulled it out, put in my T-Mobile SIM and walked out the door on T-Mobile LTE.

16. thetruest macrumors regular

and all you had to do was pay the ETF?

AT&T doesnt work this way?

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I put $399 down and paid a total of $434 with tax. I'm being billed, $350 ETF, $9 one day if service and tax. That's it.

The Verizon 5s is SIM unlocked so subsidized it is not GSM locked to their network like AT&T.

18. thetruest macrumors regular

is having these phones unlocked by the carrier the same as factory unlocked? ie. no future problems of it being somehow locked again usually?

19. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Getting a carrier unlock is the same as getting factory unlocked. The iPhone will work with any GSM carrier.

You can either buy it factory unlocked. Buy an unlock from a 3rd party reseller. Or get have it unlocked by the carrier.

20. thetruest, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

thetruest macrumors regular

Do u know if u do sign up for a contract and do the ETF as u did, will it make it harder to get service contracts with them or other carriers in the future, when they do a check?

Would it be harder to get service from verizon if i went through this with AT&T? Will AT&T decline me service for a period of time? its a moot point if i am goin to go T-Mo anyway and hate some of these companies, but i have other reasons

Also, werent you charged an activation fee as well? You and others didnt list this in ur posts, and im gona be charged one.

21. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Since I canceled the same day and never used the iPhone on Verizon they did not charge me the activation fee. As far as making it harder to get a contract later I have no clue. I am post paid on T-Mobile.

22. thetruest macrumors regular

Hey man thanks for the answers.

Didn't you say they activated your SIM in store?

Also I Called the AT&T store and guy there told me I can only do a return before 14 days, not do an ETF

23. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

AT&T's policy is different from Verizon. Why not get a Verizon contract then cancel as I did then use an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM? The models are exactly the same and the Verizon is GSM unlocked no matter of purchased on or off contract.

24. thetruest macrumors regular

I would but I'm jus taking what I can get. These are all still sold out everywhere most of the time; the only thing I can get is an AT&T in gold and I'm thinkin of selling it cause while realy cool, think i like black better and I don't need 64gb and its still reselling high.

But I guess if I wanted to do that I'd need to wait 14 days then

25. thetruest macrumors regular

So again, I'm canceling with Verizon over the phone, and the person is telling me that I will be charged an activation fee. I never used the phone on Verizon, and replaced the SIM with my t-mobile one as soon as I got it, and it's only the day after (I'm only being charged for one day of service). I didn't even open the box in store.

I had to start a new line on a new account when I got the phone on contract. Did you do the same, or was it an old account/line? I bought at Apple store. I basically did everything you said except open it at the store. What should I tell them?