Taking off my screen protector. Wish me luck.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thelookingglass, Dec 23, 2016.

1. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'm going half naked and stripping off the screen protector today. Leaves me exposed to the world and perhaps slightly less smudge resistant after a while. Wish me luck everyone.

2. miragebg macrumors 6502a

3. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

And because of the perceived meaningless of my chosen topic, you chose to add an equally meaningless response?

It's relevant to the forum. I felt like it. It's not offensive. Other people might want to join in. End of story.

4. miragebg macrumors 6502a

Meaningless topics normally attracts meaningless responses...

5. noobinator macrumors 601

It's the only way to go. I battled screen protectors for my last few phones then took it off recently. I have AC+ in case it shatters or something and I won't let scratching bother me. It's been a month and I have no scratches that I can see.

And the screen feels a bazillion times better without anything over it. I don't care how good your screen protector is, nothing beats the naked screen. The home button is much more satisfying as well with no raised edges around it.

6. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree. That's why I'm doing it too. The feel is much better. Im just a little concerned that the oleophobic coating will be worn off in about 6 months and I'll have to live with a smudgy screen.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont do it.
    I was using my 7 Plus for a few weeks waiting for my screen protector from China to arrive.
    Damn they take forever to get items through the mail from Honk Kong.
    Anyway, I noticed a few light scratches by the time I installed it.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

Yeah that happens with these phones but as long as you don't use any cleaner with alcohol or something it should last longer than 6 months. And if it does get too smudgy you can always clean it real good then put a screen protector on that doesn't smudge as much. Scratches no longer bother me though. I know I will get some but using it and not worrying is worth losing a few bucks at resell time. I'm using my JetBlack 7 Plus completely naked so I've learned to accept scratching. :D

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Cheap or poor screen protectors are the pits but a good one applied well is virtually indistinguishable from a naked screen. For the protection and peace of mind given, I'll lose the 1% or so of tactile feedback.

10. shook187 macrumors member

Today I'm wearing black underwears to match my iPhone 7+...wish me luck

11. dennysanders macrumors 6502

dennysanders

i'm gonna to start carrying my phone in my right pocket instead of my left...wish me luck

12. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Tried a screen protector once. Took it off later as I didn't care for it. never had one since, never needed it either. Always knowing it was there kind of bothered me. Never seriously scratched or broke a screen in 15 years so I figure I'm probably good. To each their own tho. Enjoy your phone OP.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never used a screen protector. It's a phone and I plan on getting a new one in a couple years.

14. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

There's a reason why screen protectors were made and why they are popular and if you bought one and had it on up to now, to go decide to take it off seems rather pointless.

But whatever floats your boat.

And to make a thread about it is to stroke your ego. But again...whatever floats your boat.

15. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Kristall Liquid Phone Screen Protector
    Seems to work for me unless its only my imagination .

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I also never have needed one. Never scratched my iPhone screen. Although, I upgrade every year.

17. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

It will get scratched and brake.... Merry Christmas

18. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I have always used a screen protector. Grit and sand can still scratch the display glass. I figure it's better to replace a cheap screen protector than the whole display.

The trade off is obviously worse tactile feel/response from the screen. But peace of mind is worth it to me.

19. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

I have never used a screen protector. I have never noticed any scratches on my screen either. Not saying there weren't any just never noticed any.

20. foxconn Suspended

which are completely unnoticeable unless you shine a light on them at an angle.

21. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Me too, mine are black silk so they match my Jet black as well. :)

22. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I think this is the key. The micro abrasions are going to happen without a screen protector. As long as someone can live with that, they don't need a screen protector.

I notice mine if I'm looking for them, but they don't bother me so I've never used a screen protector.

23. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

That is a big risk you are taking, I always use my iPhone with cover and screen protector

24. Ca_lvn macrumors member

Took mine off to phone is just better without no glare and touch works better I had a armor glass screen protector

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not bad.
    If the screen is off you can see them. Once the screen lights are on they don't bother you much.
    Still sucks within a few weeks to get them though.
    I Think it's from having keys and the phone in the same pocket.