Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
screenshot20110307at954.png

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Sorry, but he does make valid points. Still, I'm going with iPad until something better comes along.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I respectfully disagree.

If the spec differences affect which device best satisfies your current needs, then they make a difference to you. If they don't, then they don't really matter.

Is there something else I'm missing? Why would a mature adult care which device best meets others needs apart from sufficient platform adoption to foster a thriving app developer market to provide you with useful apps? I suspect both Honeycomb and iOS will see plenty of apps in the foreseeable future, so that doesn't seem to be a risk for either platform, and thus I'm not seeing the point.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Who cares.
I mean are we 12 years old and get offended by someone saying how much superior their toy is.

The Xoom does some things better then the iPad no question.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Who cares.
I mean are we 12 years old and get offended by someone saying how much superior their toy is.

The Xoom does some things better then the iPad no question.

I thought it was funny how he reacted, making things up out of thin air and assuming unknown specs about the iPad 2, that's why I posted it here, for a laugh.

And I agree, it does some things better.

macsolo

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Bangkok
Easy to see on this engadget comparison what's better and what's not but honestly, there isn't much between them really.

I did laugh where he says "90%+ free apps". That's probably about half a dozen then.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Then you should probably do some research.

Here is what is valid in his post.

- iPad doesn't have an SD card reader built in so you can't expand storage.
- iPad doesn't have HDMI built in. The iPad's front camera is only VGA.
- He claims the memory is only 512MB (I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but it sounds like it's either 256MB or 512MB, and NOT 1GB.)
- Apple claimed Honeycomb only had 60 or so apps while iOS has hundreds of thousands. Honeycomb JUST came out, so this was an unwarranted comparison IMO.

Now, what are things that the Xoom do or will be able to do that iPad can't?

- Flash
- Wireless syncing

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
He doesn't make any valid points.

Whether or not the points are valid depend on what you use the tablet for... I would love an integrated SD slot and integrated HDMI as a photographer. I completely understand not caring about those things, too.

That said, when I'm ready to upgrade my iPad in a year or so, I'll probably be looking mostly for screen resolution. Whichever company makes the device with the best screen (with all else being somewhat equal) will get my money.

Now if you want to say the guy's a complete ass, that I'll agree with.

steeex

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
better or worse...for doing what?

I have an original iPad and it's still overpowered for my needs...

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Whether or not the points are valid depend on what you use the tablet for... I would love an integrated SD slot and integrated HDMI as a photographer. I completely understand not caring about those things, too.

That said, when I'm ready to upgrade my iPad in a year or so, I'll probably be looking mostly for screen resolution. Whichever company makes the device with the best screen (with all else being somewhat equal) will get my money.

Now if you want to say the guy's a complete ass, that I'll agree with.

No. Most of his points are completely wrong, factually. The iPad's back camera isn't 0.7 MP. The Xoom's stereo speakers aren't better quality than the iPad's, let alone iPad 2's. Look at numerous comparison videos, or compare for yourself, and you'll see that Xoom's are louder but iPad's single speaker flat out sounds better. I can go on and on picking that apart...

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Who cares.

It's a matter of personal opinion. Let him buy it. Let him use it. Let him convince himself that it was better than the iPad. If it is - great, if not - well I'm prettttty sure the xoom won't have the same resell value next year that the iPad will.

in MY personal opinion - it's not about specs - it's about the UI. Pretty sure that no matter what motorola does - apple will most likely churn out a sleeker, faster OS - if due to nothing else than experience.

Apple comes out with the iPhone, every phone manufacturer tries to 'outdo' them

Apple comes out with the iPad, now all of the sudden there is a market for tablets.

Instead of having 30 laptops on your line, try having 3 good ones instead. Just because they are shiny/gloss doesn't mean they are sleek. It's pretty apparent when you go to best buy that everything is down right ugly compared to a unibody MBP. Price aside - can't they make something that at least looks good?

I take this same comparison to pretty much every other phone/tablet out there on the market.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
The Xoom does beat the iPad 2 on specs in a lot of ways, but I don't care, and not because I'm a fanboy. Specs just don't matter much to me, performance does. People shouldn't shop by specs; they don't matter much to 99% of products. What matters is what people like using, and most people like the iPad when they pick it up. Hence, 15 million sold. Again, there were better mp3 players, but the iPod had the best user experience.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
So basically Xoom has
better speakers (arguable)
better cameras
more RAM
HDMI out
4G
better screen resolution

and iPad 2 has:
better battery life
more apps
more stable
better QUALITY screen
thinner design
cheaper price

It's all a matter of preference. iPad 2 is best for me because it wins in all my top priorities.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
and iPad 2 has:
better battery life
more apps
more stable, not laggy, jerky or crash-prone like Xoom.
better QUALITY screen
thinner design
cheaper price

It's all a matter of preference. iPad 2 is best for me because it wins in all my top priorities.

Add that to make your very good points more complete.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Wouldnt the fanboy be the person who clips the post in order to slam it on a forum where the original commenter can't defend his argument?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Add that to make your very good points more complete.

Yes. Because when I think an OS being 'stable' I definitely don't think of it being 'not laggy, jerky or crash-prone'

I am dehydrated, and thirsty and parched

Wouldnt the fanboy be the person who clips the post in order to slam it on a forum where the original commenter can't defend his argument?

Or would he be the one who links this thread back to facebook and says SEE TOLD YA!!!! LOSER!

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Experience > Specs

I highly doubt this guy has ever used one. The way I see Fandroids attacking people on tech websites just keeps driving me further and further away from Android. It's really not appealing at all. I actually LOVE the ecosystem Apple has created. It's all connected and simple.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004

:D

There definitely is a little "pot calling the kettle black" going on. :p

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
The Xoom is a great tablet, and if your willing to buy it, then thats great. I have nothing against that.

Same goes with my opinion of the iPad, its a great tablet as well, and if your willing to buy it, then thats great as well.

Theres no need to fight and compare specs guys.. Its just a tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.