Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I've always had ATT. One of the main selling points and the thing that kept me there in the dark years before LTE was its ability to talk to someone on the phone while browsing the Internet looking things up. I understood that that can't be done in the CDMA world.
I don't see that argument any more. Has verizon changed to allow that ability?
I would have switched to verizon many years ago, except I use that feature a lot and don't want to do without it.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Apple needs to equip the iphone with two radios, CDMA and one for lte. They haven't done so either. I'd imagine the next iphone won't be able to do it. It will happen when VoLTE is nationwide on Verizon. I guess sometime in 2016-17.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Judging from the numbers in Verizon's subscriber base, I'm guessing talk and surf is not high on a lot of people's list. Although some android devices have it.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No it still can't be done on Verizon and never will be done. It's a CDMA technological limitation and the only way around it would be if Apple decided to add a separate radio specifically for Verizon/Sprint users which I doubt they're going to ever do for such a small minority of their user base.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Talk while using Safari

Judging from the numbers in Verizon's subscriber base, I'm guessing talk and surf is not high on a lot of people's list. Although some android devices have it.

Some Android phones or do you mean every LTE smartphone Verizon sells besides the iPhone? :D

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
'
If you've never done it, I guess not. If you've used it, then you won't want to live without it. Like me.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
'
If you've never done it, I guess not. If you've used it, then you won't want to live without it. Like me.

It's a nice feature to have, but not the end of the world. I have both AT&T and Verizon. So they each have their pros and cons. But I really don't miss it on Verizon.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Some Android phones or do you mean every LTE smartphone Verizon sells besides the iPhone? :D

I don't know if every lte smartphone has it, as there are many models. Do you?

----------

'

I have done talk and surf at the same time and it's not a must have feature for me.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's really "talk and no Verizon data", IMO.

While I didn't miss "talk and surf" when I was out and about, I did miss other data features that didn't work when talking, like app notifications, email, and iMessages.

I could always tell that I was on a long phone call by how many of those came slamming in after I hung up.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its still a limitation with CDMA networks and the iphone.
I doubt Apple will put 2 radios and add on more size and battery strain for only 2 specific carriers iphone models to be able to do that.
The rest of the world has been able to do that since the iphone 3G days on GSM.
Maybe in a few years when VLTE takes off and coverage is there where it doesnt have to fall back to CDMA 3G.
It is a big limitation and drawback no matter what verizon fanboys will say:eek:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Its still a limitation with CDMA networks and the iphone.
I doubt Apple will put 2 radios and add on more size and battery strain for only 2 specific carriers iphone models to be able to do that.
The rest of the world has been able to do that since the iphone 3G days on GSM.
Maybe in a few years when VLTE takes off and coverage is there where it doesnt have to fall back to CDMA 3G.
It is a big limitation and drawback no matter what verizon fanboys will say:eek:

I don't quite think it is the "big" limitation you are trying to allude to.

Beside the definition of a fanboy is the unwillingness to see another point of view other than your own. :eek:

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Beside the definition of a fanboy is the unwillingness to see another point of view other than your own. :eek:

To me, it's an individual need. I use talk-and-surf quite often when I'm out and about. Sometimes it's a job-related requirement.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
To me, it's an individual need. I use talk-and-surf quite often when I'm out and about. Sometimes it's a job-related requirement.

Then by all means, I hope your carrier or phone supports your requirement. On those rare occasions I need to:

1. either I'm on wifi
2. I have my ipad

Either way it's no big deal "to me" as I don't have to worry "talk and surf" about very often.

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
If you sign up for Straight Talk with an ATT sim, you still get the call/web functionality. If you want ATT service for less $$$, that may be an option.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's really "talk and no Verizon data", IMO.

While I didn't miss "talk and surf" when I was out and about, I did miss other data features that didn't work when talking, like app notifications, email, and iMessages.

I could always tell that I was on a long phone call by how many of those came slamming in after I hung up.

I agree. It was annoying when I was on Verizon to have no iMessages coming through while on the phone. An hour later a bombardment of iMessages comes through all at once. Also no group messaging during calls. No GPS navigation, no google voice messages. Need to check something real quick online or an email? "Hold on let me call you back".

Carrying around an iPad or hugging wifi hotspots isn't a solution. It's a significant limitation no matter how much Verizon/Sprint fans attempt to downplay it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree. It was annoying when I was on Verizon to have no iMessages coming through while on the phone. An hour later a bombardment of iMessages comes through all at once. Also no group messaging during calls. No GPS navigation, no google voice messages. Need to check something real quick online or an email? "Hold on let me call you back".

Carrying around an iPad or hugging wifi hotspots isn't a solution. It's a significant limitation no matter how much Verizon/Sprint fans attempt to downplay it.

I'll repeat it's not even a minor limitation much less a significant one. To you it's an issue, to me not a consideration.

I don't understand why people believe something that is necessary or important to them, is just as important for everyone else.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Lol:D
To me and many many others its a big problem.
In this day and age not be able to use any data while on a call feels ancient.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Good ol dial up days!
But yeah I barely use it but that doesn't mean I never use it. It's always nice to have that as an option just in case.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, but to many many others it's not an issue nonetheless. Of course it would be better to have it than not to, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily an issue for many of those that don't have it.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I don't use the "talk & surf" feature often but when I need it, it's very useful. Honestly would be very annoyed to not have it after years of using it.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Talk while using Safari

I don't really pay attention whether I am using it or not. I probably do use it more often than I think about it. I can be on a call and just look something up related to the call. It's not a conscious effort that I have to use it. Data use is more than just web browsing. It could be FaceBook, Twitter, Fandango, my bank's app, email, etc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't really pay attention whether I am using it or not. I probably do use it more often than I think about it. I can be on a call and just look something up related to the call. It's not a conscious effort that I have to use it. Data use is more than just web browsing. It could be FaceBook, Twitter, Fandango, my bank's app, email, etc.
Same here as far as not paying attention--never needed it and I think in over a decade of being with Verizon only had one occasion when I wanted to use something during a call and realized I couldn't. Definitely could have been useful in that one occasion, but outside of that never even given it a second thought as I guess I would never would do anything during a call that would result in not being able to do it.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
I thought when I was in ATT for the 5 weeks I would be sooo excited to get talk and surf after being with Sprint and Verizon so long.

Well I didn't find myself being wowed by the added ability because I was already programmed to not having it

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

To me and many, many, many, many, many, many it doesn't seem like a big issue.

It's not all that cracked up as advertised. :confused:

Yep, we could certainly go on like this....speaking for the millions, nay billions, of uncounted masses who either believe this is an issue worthy of the front page of the Daily News or not. :apple:

----------

Same here as far as not paying attention--never needed it and I think in over a decade of being with Verizon only had one occasion when I wanted to use something during a call and realized I couldn't. Definitely could have been useful in that one occasion, but outside of that never even given it a second thought as I guess I would never would do anything during a call that would result in not being able to do it.

There are a lot of posts about not needing data because wifi is available at every nook and cranny. Where is the wifi these people allude to that allow talk and surf on iphone? The NY metro area is blanketed with hotspots, even the rails and subways are getting into the act.

The only time one probably wouldn't have wifi, is while driving and for those of us who are smart....we should be off our phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.