Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Oh boy, I dragged another Mac in like a cat drags in dead animals. :p
This time, to continue my hunt for iMac G3s, I picked up a Tangerine! Fits nicely with the iBook as well.
It came with the keyboard and mouse, but the keyboard, like the iMac itself, is quite dirty, and it doesn't respond much to keypresses. That will require a thorough cleaning. The iMac initially didn't want to boot its own OS, it just sat with the "?/Finder folder" and when I forced it to boot in OF, it would just error out. After some experimenting with swapping CPU boards and RAM between the Tangy and the Bondi, I figured out that the RAM in the Tangy is totally dead, so for now I'm borrowing the Bondi's RAM. There is some corrosion on the IO and CPU shielding in the Tangy, but that doesn't seem to affect it at all. It still has the original Quantum Fireball 6GB HDD. The CD drive wouldn't read any disc, even after cleaning the lens. Good thing is that when I had a dead Bondi years ago, I took out the CD drive and kept that in a drawer under my bed. Now, why I kept that CD drive, no idea. But, popping that in fixed that issue. All I need to do is get a small screwdriver and swap the bezels, and then that's done! So far, I did notice some fitzing in the CRT at times like the Bondi tends to do, although not as often. The thing puts out a musty shed smell, which is no surprise as it came out of there (and boy was it filthy before cleaning). It came with OS X 10.3.9, but I have since installed 9.2.2.
On the note of iMac G3 CRTs, I found a Chinese parts seller that listed "6174Z-1003G" and "6174Z-1017D" advertisements on their Alibaba page, and I'm currently in contact with them to see if these are CRT flybacks, their ads are very vague. They say the price is between $0.01 and $1, and minimum order is 10. If these are the flybacks, I'll immediately order 10 of each, it's good to stock up on nearly unobtanium parts. If this is a success, I'll post more about it here. Anyway, here she is, in all her orange glory:
img_20160404_181649.jpg

spf2

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Very nice! An awesome color iMac. All I see here are Bondi and Blueberry colored ones.

Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Awesome find! I love the iMac G3s, especially the Tangerine ones. :D

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Long Live the Tangerine! I know mines a slot loader but i still like this one too! Glad to see it up and running!

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Oh boy, I dragged another Mac in like a cat drags in dead animals. :p
This time, to continue my hunt for iMac G3s, I picked up a Tangerine! Fits nicely with the iBook as well.
It came with the keyboard and mouse, but the keyboard, like the iMac itself, is quite dirty, and it doesn't respond much to keypresses. That will require a thorough cleaning. The iMac initially didn't want to boot its own OS, it just sat with the "?/Finder folder" and when I forced it to boot in OF, it would just error out. After some experimenting with swapping CPU boards and RAM between the Tangy and the Bondi, I figured out that the RAM in the Tangy is totally dead, so for now I'm borrowing the Bondi's RAM. There is some corrosion on the IO and CPU shielding in the Tangy, but that doesn't seem to affect it at all. It still has the original Quantum Fireball 6GB HDD. The CD drive wouldn't read any disc, even after cleaning the lens. Good thing is that when I had a dead Bondi years ago, I took out the CD drive and kept that in a drawer under my bed. Now, why I kept that CD drive, no idea. But, popping that in fixed that issue. All I need to do is get a small screwdriver and swap the bezels, and then that's done! So far, I did notice some fitzing in the CRT at times like the Bondi tends to do, although not as often. The thing puts out a musty shed smell, which is no surprise as it came out of there (and boy was it filthy before cleaning). It came with OS X 10.3.9, but I have since installed 9.2.2.
On the note of iMac G3 CRTs, I found a Chinese parts seller that listed "6174Z-1003G" and "6174Z-1017D" advertisements on their Alibaba page, and I'm currently in contact with them to see if these are CRT flybacks, their ads are very vague. They say the price is between $0.01 and $1, and minimum order is 10. If these are the flybacks, I'll immediately order 10 of each, it's good to stock up on nearly unobtanium parts. If this is a success, I'll post more about it here. Anyway, here she is, in all her orange glory:
View attachment 625137
Wow, the iMac Tangerine looks great. Fortunately it has no slot-in drive, so it won't eat any disks as one of mine did…
If you start to clean the keyboard, you may remove all keys first and "open" the keyboard like a clamshell from that side, where the cable comes out with the other side staying attached. Don't ever try to open it at the flatter users side or try to separate bottom from upper bezel, since the plastic-brackets at the front will break.
I once fully detached a graphite KB the clamshell-way and removed all inner parts for proper cleaning. It looks gorgeous now and I think the tangerine one will be looking even better.
Good luck and have fun!

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Nice, especially that now you have it up and running. Yet another saved for prosperity (I hate to see these going to landfill).
That reminds me. I have at least one keyboard (purchased with a G3 or G4 iMac) that is filthy. And as much as I love tearing inside a Mac to repair of just clean up internally, I hate cleaning up really dirty keyboards.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Great. Now I want one. I almost had a lime from a resale store. As I was looking at it some little girl came up and asked me about it. She said she wanted it but wasn't sure if her mom would let her. I told her to go ask her mom and she got back before I could purchase it.

spf2

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I am happy to report I am the newest member to the iMac G3 Tangerine club (400MHZ , 256MB , 10GB). Just got her yesterday. Got it very cheap since it was sold as scrap and not working. Got it home and cleaned her up. After getting her working (Ram/HD issues) and dropping in a airport card . She is working great. She has scratches and missing the bottom panel that covers the RAM slots with a few cracks in the plastic. The slot DVD mostly works except it can't spit the DVD out. Also, the speakers sound like the surrounds are coming apart. Tremble sounds fine but it rattles on bass. She is still lovely and I am glad I have her. Now I need to find matching mouse and keyboard. I am thinking about installing OS 9.22 like Daniël.

2016-05-04 11-28-32.731.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Since my slotloaders also have foamrot, I'm looking into replacement speakers. I've been eyeing some for a while. Once I've tried them and can confirm they work, I'll post it on MacRumours.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I am happy to report I am the newest member to the iMac G3 Tangerine club (400MHZ , 256MB , 10GB). Just got her yesterday. Got it very cheap since it was sold as scrap and not working. Got it home and cleaned her up. After getting her working (Ram/HD issues) and dropping in a airport card . She is working great. She has scratches and missing the bottom panel that covers the RAM slots with a few cracks in the plastic. The slot DVD mostly works except it can't spit the DVD out. Also, the speakers sound like the surrounds are coming apart. Tremble sounds fine but it rattles on bass. She is still lovely and I am glad I have her. Now I need to find matching mouse and keyboard. I am thinking about installing OS 9.22 like Daniël.

View attachment 630027

Your orange iMacs both really do look great! It's a pity, that the speakers are blown. I once damaged an indigo one by installing VLC 2x and switched the equalizer on. Too bad...
MacOS 9.1 or 9.2 or is a good choice - the first time I ever used it is just a few weeks ago, and I was amazed, how many thinks actually do work (web, mail, ftp, webdav, filesharing up to osx5, vnc, office2001, apple works 6, print2pdf,acrobat, ps, fax, itunes, virtualpc with w2k and the whole lot of gems at macintosh garden...) Makes it a nice part in the puzzle of my PowerPC/Intel-Mac machines.
And there's still so much to find and try out...
Have fun!
Daniël, I'd like to hear more about your speaker-project!
I'm afraid, that "foamrot" thing will hit my old machines too, some time... (especially the 24" white imacs have a great sound)

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
And Indigo ones. For some reason, blue seemed to be the most popular color when it came to iMacs.
There was an entry level Indigo, so I'm not surprised those pop up often near you. Around here, it's really mixed. There's a lot of colours, and occasionally a Snow White one too. And I've seen both a Blue Dalmatian and a Flower Power for sale, the FL went for €50 or so. I would have been on both if they were near me, I'm not shipping iMac G3s after seeing IMNC have his FL iMac arrive busted!

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Just a quick note to those saying their Slot-in drive doesn't spit out DVDs... you probably all know it, but I leave this info here just for other readers that don't know:

If the DVD is stuck and you can see a tip of it looking out of the slot, you can slightly tip with a finger on top of the DVD and it will move further outwards.

If you don't see the DVD anymore, there is a small tiny hole at the side of the slot, locate that and use a needle or bend paperclip and stick it into it, it functions like a hidden eject button (see for pictures on ifixit or google it). There is also a trick with a credit card and a microfibrecloth to clean the drive or get the DVD out similar to the "tipping on the DVD from abbove" method.

Avoiding the slot drive to become bad: use the drive regularly / often. I found out that those with more use tend to keep intact for longer.

Bobert57

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
I have the g3 tray loader. My Mac. just quit. Did all the tests per the service manual, not getting 5v on power supply board pin 3. On startup the fan is on the HD runs for a few seconds, the power light is on . Any help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.