TansIntl Mac Pro Memory price drop

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bluesteel, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bluesteel macrumors 6502

was shopping for memory and just saw that Transintl.com dropped their memory prices by a really good amount. an 8GB x 3 kit is $250 less than OWC now. i noticed not long ago, OWC dropped their RAM prices to TransIntl's level, and now TransIntl is dropping below OWC's level. hmmm....

is the RAM that these main vendors like OWC, TransIntl, Crucial, Ramjet, DMS, etc, do they all get the exact same RAM, then just brand it, and possibly test it like OWC? is it possible that TransIntl gets a cheaper quality RAM than OWC? i don't know much about RAM production...would love to know more. TransIntl is looking more and more appealing.

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Samsung and Hynix are huge producers of ram. Both in korea. Many ram modules are just rebranded. OWC is a very good company for speed service warranty etc. they relabel a lot of the ram with owc labels. I buy a ton of ram from superbiiz.com they are west coast based they have a link with hynix samsung and supertalent . supertalent is rebranded hynix and samsung for the most part.

Here is the deal I buy 50 or 60 sticks a year from superbiiz so if I return some they send me replacements pretty fast. I returned 1 pair in 2 years and about 90 to 95 good sticks are out there all over the world mostly in macminis I modded to order or on spec for ebay.

If you make one purchase from them (superbiiz) and the ram goes bad you will wait longer then I may. If you get bad ram from OWC they will be quicker to replace. I suspect TransIntl is west coast based with a korean connection. I never dealt with them. If you are a small buyer of parts and need fast replacement OWC is in the center of the usa and will get new parts out very fast. If you are like me and have a dozen or so sticks of ram laying about waiting for replacement ram is not a big deal.

3 sticks of 4gb ram are 308 at trans 1066 type ecc
    3 sticks of 8gb ram are 728 at trans 1066 type ecc note registered will not mix

3 sticks of 4gb ram are 280 at superbiiz 1066 type ecc with video10 discount code
    3 sticks of 8gb ram are 663 at superbiiz 1066 type ecc with video10 discount code note registered will not mix

3 sticks of 4gb ram are 320 at owc 1066 type ecc
    3 sticks of 8gb ram are 925 at owc 1066 type ecc note registered will not mix

So above are 3 choices I would tell you most likely 90 to 95 % of all the sticks above are good. Based on past ram installs 95%.
    I know that superbiiz rmas get done but slowly. I know owc is good with rmas. I do not have to have my mac pro running for my business so for me I am going with superbiiz. Now if your boss lets you buy 20 k worth of gear the superbiiz savings on ram would let you grab some spare sticks. If you are buying out of pocket and have to lay all the dough out for your gear. spare sticks is not a bad idea. you can buy 3 sticks of 4gb and 3 sticks of 8gb from superbiiz for the price of 3 sticks of 8gb from owc give or take 20 bucks.

I am newer to mac pro gear. I do have the 3 sticks of 4gb purchased from superbiiz they are flawless after 1 month of use. No one has purchased the 8gb sticks from superbiiz and let us know if they are good. A few members have had good luck with the 4gb sticks from TransIntl. Both sizes of owc sticks work. It is kind of like a risk management test for you to decide. I hope this helps a bit.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yeah most of the retailers are just re-branded, hardware companies tend to use Samsung, Hynix, Micron etc DRAM and make the PCB themselves. Crucial of course is just the in-house brand for Micron.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

IIRC, there are only a couple of chip manufactures left these days, Samsung, Hynix and one or two others, I really can't remember them exactly.

5. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

very helpful actually :)

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Samsung, Hynix, Elpida, Qimonda and Micron are the big five who you will most likely see in retail memory modules. There are others and then a fair few companies that produce it for

7. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

i ended up buying 6 x 4GB from OWC for $650. they have been really good to me in the past, so its hard to shop for RAM anywhere else. i figured i'm willing to pay a little more for their outstanding website, customer service, and technical support. don't get me wrong, there a lots of over-priced items on their website, but i like their memory, SSDs, and storage solutions a whole lot.

i did checkout Superbiiz, however, and ended up ordering two WD Black 2TB hard drives from them last night at the best price on the web, $164. so far i'm impressed. there website and customer account sections are great, on par with NewEgg and OWC. the reason i did not buy RAM from them is because they didn't have an "apple memory" section, which gives me comfort in knowing they are testing memory in macs and/or familiar with apple products. i just got confused cause i did not know exactly exactly what memory to look for and if it was "apple approved" or not.

8. allbald macrumors member

They actually have this. they have have certain memory marked for Apple Mac Pro. I am using those right now without any issues.

9. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, thats unfortunate. i wish i knew...would have tried them out. can you post a link to that 1333MHz Mac Pro memory, if you have the time that is?

10. aquablue macrumors member

Oh, what make are you using?

11. bluesteel thread starter macrumors 6502

DDR3 ECC PC10600 1333MHz SDRAM PC3-10600 ECC for 2010 Mac Pro...

12. aquablue macrumors member

sorry, i meant manufacturer or model number.. thanks.

13. allbald macrumors member

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php...B-ECC-Server-Memory-For-Apple-Mac-Pro-Systems

Supertalent memory (if you buy there use the latest coupon code they have pumpkin10 or something).

Note these 4gb simms. They don't seem to carry the 8gb ones.

For which, transintl seems to be the current best bet.

Or you look up what has the exact same ECC ram specs for the mac and find those that are not officially mac certified (doesnt really mean much -- ram is really generic).

14. allbald macrumors member